• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Germans plan to ban smoking drivers

Overheat

Forum Addict
German MPs are proposing a ban on smoking whilst driving. A spokesman for the ruling Social Democrat party has said that "the dangers of causing an accident rise drastically when you smoke and drive. I want a complete ban on smoking for drivers." He was backed by representatives of the opposition Christian Democrats, who told the Bild newspaper that they would also push for legislation on the matter. MP Katherina Reiche said that "cigarettes are just as much a distraction as cell phones. We need a new law banning it (smoking), with fines." However, Germany's motoring club ADAC defended the right to smoke at the wheel, with spokesman Rainer Hillgaertner saying, somewhat surreally: "Eating chocolate bars, bananas or fish sandwiches whilst driving is also dangerous."

http://www.channel4.com/4car/news/news-story.jsp?news_id=12199

I guess, this will be off the table pretty soon...

Some loony always wants to do shit to drivers... Fuck the Greens!
They won't do it...

Buba

this is ridiculous. im not a smoker but this is a bit extreme.

why not get rid of radios or cup holders because using them while driving is a distraction. :thumbsdown:

Well, sometimes I think that smoking can be more dangerous than talking on the phone. Imagine you drop the cigarrette... And it has been proven that a car filled with smoke, besides reducing your vision, makes you sleepy.

I don't get why such news are making it to other countries. Some unimportant loony politician makes a proposal and suddenly it's a story ? Much like transport 2000, they demand the most ridiculous things but you'll never see any of it getting realized.

bihus said:
Well, sometimes I think that smoking can be more dangerous than talking on the phone. Imagine you drop the cigarrette... And it has been proven that a car filled with smoke, besides reducing your vision, makes you sleepy.

Sure, but what is your solution. Ban everything that poses a potential threat ?

Heh the car is probably the place where I smoke the most.. I only drive long trips of at least an hour on pretty much empty roads and I get bored pretty quick :) I open up the window tho so sleepiness or reduced sight is not really an argument.. I have to agree tho if you drop the cigaret (happend to me once) it can be dangerous, not really for me but for ppl driving in tight traffic.

I think cellphones or eating are way more dangerous.. I mean you need 2 fingers for smoking and you can actually still use the rest of the hand for holding the wheel and doing anything else that might be needed.

So this is a ridiculous proposal.. I can imagine how happy the police would be if they are going to have to stop ppl that are smoking in their cars.. Like they got nothing better to do.. I can't imagine anyone would actually obey this law if it would come.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is just easier to just blame someone else or a major company and not take personal responsibility for things nowadays.

:thumbsdown:

I think they banned calling with one hand on the steeringwheel because you think of the person on the phone and have to think about the road at the same time (and of course, one hadn on the steeringwheel...how you gonna change gears? with hands off of course..)

Don't think people 'think' that much when having a cigarette...

I don't like cigarettes, but I think it would be more dangerous to have jittery smokers rushing home to get a puff rather than to have them smoke in the car.

Shouldn't smoke in a car, what's the car done to deserve being covered in ash and burn marks. Also the yellowing interior is horrid.

No problem with smokers as long as they don't throw their tab ends out of the window 'cos that's disgusting! USE A BIN!!!