Gettin' ready for the Runoffs, I raced two cars this weekend.

Vitamin J

Car(s)
1996 Mazda Miata 1.8L, 1992 Spec Miata 1.6L
Since I qualified for the SCCA National Championship Runoffs in Spec Miata, I decided to head over to Heartland Park Topeka. HPT is where the Runoffs are held and it's an awesome racetrack.

Of course I brought along the Spec Miata, but I also rented a Formula Enterprise. It is built by SCCA Enterprises and has a Mazda/Ford 2.3L motor making around 170hp and the rules specify a minimum weight of 1265 lbs. So as you can imagine it moves, it'll do 0-60 in under 3 seconds and tops out around 140mph. Oh and it'll pull 1.5g's around a corner.

I actually had the fastest qualifying time in my class in the Formula car, I was a full 2 seconds faster than the 2nd place qualifyer. But I finished in 2nd place because it was too fucking scary. It was seriously the most frightening experience of my life. Going into turn 1 at 120mph+ surrounded by exposed tires knowing that if you touch one even slightly you'll be upside down faster than you can blink. Basically the first lap I went from overall position 6 to probably 14th or something. It was a helluva rush though and I can't wait to do it again.

The video camera didn't work this weekend for some reason. But I have videos of my race two weeks ago and I'm editing them together right now so no one complains about boring Spec Miata races.

On to the pictures:

PICT0189.jpg

PICT0192.jpg

PICT0194.jpg

PICT0196.jpg

PICT0197.jpg

PICT0204.jpg

PICT0205.jpg

PICT0209.jpg

PICT0212.jpg

Here is the Formula car
PICT0175.jpg

PICT0220.jpg

going into turn 1 (I'm behind the 2 red cars Formula Mazdas)
PICT0231.jpg

PICT0233.jpg

PICT0228.jpg

PICT0255.jpg

PICT0264.jpg

PICT0249.jpg

PICT0262.jpg

PICT0245.jpg

That's all for now, I really wish I could have gotten some in car video of the FE, that thing is so insane.

Awesome! Looks like you had fun! Yeah getting into a formula car with slicks for the first time was a rush for me as well. Keep it up!

Congratulations again! Good to hear that everything is going right for you!!! Now grow some balls and show your competitors who's boss in turn 1 :p

See, some of us Americans know how to have fun in a car ;).

You are awesome.

so no one complains about boring Spec Miata races.

:lol: Yeah, watching grandmas drive is probably more interesting in terms of spectating. I don't doubt for a second that they are fun to drive / race, but putt putt putt... :p

Those Formula spec cars on the other hand... :thumbsup:

I saw a Miata race last year at PIR before the Speed TV GT and Touring races, was actually pretty fun. Those guys were not afraid to take the contact from NASCAR and apply it to a road course :lol:

Good luck! I will be at Road America tomorrow to watch the June Sprints.