Getting a Dodge..

No, it said "You have no idea what you're talking about", and since I'm the kind of guy who likes having an idea of what he's talking about, maybe you could give me some idea. How is that car cool? Because it sure as hell isn't fast, it probably wasn't the fastest even back in its time, it wasn't remembered as prestigious like the Rollers and Bentleys, and is has nowhere near the design flare of cars from the 60s and the 70s. So why?

It's cool because;
1: It's in very very very good condition
2: I doubt there's many of them left. I doubt there's many left that look like this.
3: It doesn't have to be fast, or have the Rolls and Bentley pedigree to be cool and who gives a shit about design flare? That's not the point of this car.
4: The coolest thing about this car is that it's the kind of thing that Al Capone and his hench men would have cruised around in, shooting people at random will. I mean hell, it's got running boards. Running boards that a gangster carrying a Tommy Gun would have stood on.

That's fucking cool.

It's cool because;
1: It's in very very very good condition
2: I doubt there's many of them left. I doubt there's many left that look like this.
3: It doesn't have to be fast, or have the Rolls and Bentley pedigree to be cool and who gives a shit about design flare? That's not the point of this car.
4: The coolest thing about this car is that it's the kind of thing that Al Capone and his hench men would have cruised around in, shooting people at random will. I mean hell, it's got running boards. Running boards that a gangster carrying a Tommy Gun would have stood on.

That's fucking cool.

1) Fair enough, but not enough on its own
2) same as above
3) So what IS the point of the car?
4) You've obviously never lived in a place where organized crime poses any threat to you, your family and friends to think that's cool.

1) Fair enough, but not enough on its own
2) same as above
3) So what IS the point of the car?
4) You've obviously never lived in a place where organized crime poses any threat to you, your family and friends to think that's cool.

Think outside the square!

I'm guessing somewhere around five.

Come on guys, the car's only interesting because it's exclusive and it's only exclusive because it actually made it 80 years into the future whereas all the others that looked just like it (most cars from the 30s look almost identical), rot and died.

:blink:

So what do YOU drive?

I checked back on some of the threads you've posted.. quite the hater.. and apparently.. your 12, don't own a car, and have to hitch rides in your dads skoda :lol: There's a family heirloom to be proud of!

For everyone else with a brain, and a fondness for history..

1927 was the last year before Chrysler bought Dodge Brothers. That alone makes it kind of a special car, in 1928 a lot of stuff changed, including the engine and the fact that it had front brakes..

It's been in my family for 3 generations now.. my grandfather rescued it from a barn where it was in a pretty dismal state, restored it, and when he passed, left it to my aunt, who is afraid to drive it because of arseholes like petarkb here don't have any patience on the road anymore.. my uncle and aunt were run off the road by an idiot like him in it. I bought it from them.

Its value isn't a lot on the free market but it's still running on the original 1927 engine.. other than a head gasket.. it hasn't been touched. it's a neat glimpse into the past to see what people drove, and actually be able to experience it, and drive it myself.

It's max speed is approx 60mph (100km/h) not fast.. but for what it is.. PLENTY fast enough.. no way i'll ever drive it that fast.

I'll take it to a few old timer shows, take my wife and daughter out for icecream in it, and maybe pick her up from school on the really nice days when she gets older..

Some people have suggested I should rod it.. but.. once it's cut it's done.. then it's just another f'ckin rod.. if it was a rod.. THEN it wouldn't be so cool.. but it's all original.. and you'll never find a moron like petarkb driving one.. hence.. it's sub-zero... 8)

So what do YOU drive?

A pink Ford Pinto Wagon. Why are you asking? I don't quite have a car yet.

I checked back on some of the threads you've posted.. quite the hater..

Where did I say I hated anything?

and apparently.. your 12

If you're gonna insult people for being immature, the least you can do is write your post in a literate manner.

don't own a car, and have to hitch rides in your dads skoda :lol: There's a family heirloom to be proud of!

My father used to have an old Wartburg 1000 from the 60s that he kept running in perfect driving condition, and it wasn't stored away in a cupboard. Oh no, it was driven each of the 35 years he had it, and it was even crashed a couple of times by my grandpa. And still, fuel economy was as good as it was when it was new and you'd never know it had been crashed because my dad fixed it always, back to how it was. The car had started rusting, but it was constantly being patched up back to shape.

And then my dad brought a 1989 Skoda Favorit and sold the Wartburg to a retro car enthusiast because he couldn't afford to maintain it anymore.

And what makes you think you know anything about my road manners?

No, it said "You have no idea what you're talking about", and since I'm the kind of guy who likes having an idea of what he's talking about, maybe you could give me some idea. How is that car cool? Because it sure as hell isn't fast, it probably wasn't the fastest even back in its time, it wasn't remembered as prestigious like the Rollers and Bentleys, and is has nowhere near the design flare of cars from the 60s and the 70s. So why?

Are you joking? The 60s were great, but the 70s were the garbage decade of the motor industry destroying all the beauty created in the 60s (Adding overdimensioned plastic bumpers's just one example here!)

Why has a car to be fast in order to be cool? Just to be able to brag about it? The same applies to the Rollers and Bentleys I suppose: "Look, I can afford something more expensive than you can!" If that's all you're looking for in cars, go and save up for a Space Shuttle!

I share watto's opinion about why I like the car and can understand that you don't get them as cars seem to be simply a prestigious object to you. Just the fact that this Dodge is still running is great as getting spares surely causes some problems and you might be forced to built them by yourself, so it's not simply a thing of dropping it by at the next dealer, picking it up after a day, paying and starting off again.

Are you joking? The 60s were great, but the 70s were the garbage decade of the motor industry destroying all the beauty created in the 60s (Adding overdimensioned plastic bumpers's just one example here!)

Why has a car to be fast in order to be cool? Just to be able to brag about it? The same applies to the Rollers and Bentleys I suppose: "Look, I can afford something more expensive than you can!" If that's all you're looking for in cars, go and save up for a Space Shuttle!

I share watto's opinion about why I like the car and can understand that you don't get them as cars seem to be simply a prestigious object to you. Just the fact that this Dodge is still running is great as getting spares surely causes some problems and you might be forced to built them by yourself, so it's not simply a thing of dropping it by at the next dealer, picking it up after a day, paying and starting off again.

Prestige or speed are just two of the things that can make a car desirable. There's also being ridiculously cheap to buy or run, being ridiculously expensive to buy or run, rock-solid reliability, stunning looks, road manners, uniqueness, and so on. But it HAS to stand out with something. A mint-condition first-gen Corolla still isn't desirable.

By the way, I just looked at that Dodge again, and I liked it a whole lot more. I actually QUITE like it. :blink:

Everyone brace yourselves.... I am actually about to agree with Jetsetter.

http://img507.imageshack.**/img507/2890/philistineramonbennettnl2.jpg, sorry mate... but that was a royally ignorant and stupid thing to say.

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:^
The wonders will never cease...

Come on guys, the car's only interesting because it's exclusive and it's only exclusive because it actually made it 80 years into the future whereas all the others that looked just like it (most cars from the 30s look almost identical), rot and died.
Well it's not like he's going to go streetracing in it now, is he?

Cool is subjective, but most of the people in this thread (including me) think it's really damn cool because it's rare, not because it can do 0-60 in .5 nanoseconds. (Which is what the average car does, in comparison.) If by your definition a cool car has to stand out, what makes you think this doesn't? How many 1920's Dodges do you see on a regular basis? And does it matter whether it's a Dodge or not?

Jack Nicholson isn't an NFL player, but he also manages to be badass.

The fact that it's survived WWII, the Great Depression, the rise of Stalin, the Space Race, the Cuban Missile Crisis, and the reign of over 10 US presidents adds to its coolness. That's a lot more than you can say for whatever your parents drive.

Nice find. Is that a Dodge or a Dodge Brothers? I have no idea when they dropped the "brothers" from the name (assuming I'm not a complete idiot and they are actually the same company).

How long till it gets chopped, sectioned, fender removal and a 440 with tunnel ram and dual 4 barrels? :thumbsup:

I'm guessing somewhere around five.

Uh-huh. A v16 Cadillac, Auburns, Duesy's, Dodge Brothers, Ford Model T or A look alike in only their basic shape. In the same way a front engined Ferrari or Aston Martin looks like a Corvette.

I don't think Bugatti would like having his cars said to be looking like a Ford of that Era. BTW, a large number of the Pre-War Chevy and Fords are running around here in the states (though mostly chopped up for hot rods, they are still kicking).

There is only a few Duesenburgs that haven't been accounted for, same with Cord and Auburns. Many of the Original V16 Cadillac's are in museums/collectors hands.

Oh and a car like this wouldn't have been used by gangsters. They liked cars with big engines that can pull all of the weight of armor plating around. This is why Al Capone drove a V16 Cadillac.

33be4pl.jpg

Well it's not like he's going to go streetracing in it now, is he?

Cool is subjective, but most of the people in this thread (including me) think it's really damn cool because it's rare, not because it can do 0-60 in .5 nanoseconds. (Which is what the average car does, in comparison.) If by your definition a cool car has to stand out, what makes you think this doesn't? How many 1920's Dodges do you see on a regular basis? And does it matter whether it's a Dodge or not?

Jack Nicholson isn't an NFL player, but he also manages to be badass.

The fact that it's survived WWII, the Great Depression, the rise of Stalin, the Space Race, the Cuban Missile Crisis, and the reign of over 10 US presidents adds to its coolness. That's a lot more than you can say for whatever your parents drive.

Sorry I hadn't noticed how blue it was, but I really like it now. Now quit bashing me, guys. :lol:

Nice find. Is that a Dodge or a Dodge Brothers? I have no idea when they dropped the "brothers" from the name (assuming I'm not a complete idiot and they are actually the same company).

It is a Dodge Brothers.. Dodge Brothers was independantly owned by brothers until i think 1921, when they when they died from influenza.. Chrysler bought them in 1928.

http://www.moparstyle.net/history/dodge.htm

How long till it gets chopped, sectioned, fender removal and a 440 with tunnel ram and dual 4 barrels? :thumbsup:

booo hiss :ban?:

Never :D Not as long as I own it.. :cheers:

Pre-war cars in good shape should never be chopped up and rodded. If you happen to find a rusted out pre-war hulk however then please rod it up as much as you like. In fact doing a period rod would be very cool.