Getting a Drivers License in your country

For the record, Alabama is way more lenient than it was in Wisconsin...just about everything the German said was a part of the process for me when I got my lic...just at 16.

There was driver's ed, the written test, behind-the wheel practice in all of the various conditions, etc. Except those hours of behind-the wheel practice, they just needed to be recorder and signed-off by my parents (didn't have to be with an instructor, although we did practice during Driver's Ed...just not enough to count as all of the hours needed to pass the test.)

Driver's Ed was also handled through my high school...it wasn't through a private company...but I think that varies city by city.

Motorcycle lic are different than car lic, too.

Last edited:
Though the night drive was indeed hard. By law you need 3 "hours" at night, but no driving instructor would break that up into two appointments, seeing that (especially during summer) it's gonna get really late and driving at night in the city doesn't count. So point is: that's 2 1/2 hours of nothing but non-stop driving on pitch black country roads, some of which rather narrow and without lane markings and as a student driver that really freaked me out.

I did the night sessions in early June at 54.3?N... in two parts, from 11pm or so.

Interesting, over here there's no night driving and with any really bad weather conditions (extreme rain, snow) the driving lesson is cancelled...
You can't even perform your licence test when it's snowing either...

and with any really bad weather conditions (extreme rain, snow) the driving lesson is cancelled...
I had a driving lesson in torrential rain where we could barely see 50 metres ahead - you have to learn that as well, it's better to learn it with a certified instructor than on your own or with other people in the car who want to arrive somewhere as quickly as possible.

Actually: theory and practical lessons usually start at the same time. A lot of 18 year olds do it during a vacation or during the summer school holidays, which are 6 weeks. My grandfather did it on a 3 week vacation with the family.

Well, I checked the requirements with my old driving school again, which are as follows (just to have the video corrected):
Theory is 12 x 90minute lessons plus 2 x 90minutes of class specific lesson.

Practical lessons are all 45 minute units:
5x Cross country
4x Autobahn
3x Nighttime driving
Plus the "basic" lessons, which they list as "depending on talent and skill". I know there was a minimum, but it's practically impossible to meet the requirements to be able to pass the test with just the minimum. Yes, many people fail, thankfully I passed the first time round. I pulled in where we stated, knowing already that I had passed, the test guy said "Mr X did that pretty well", handed me my license and I walked away shaking like a tree in a hurricane. xD That test is seriously expensive and there is definitely pressure riding on the whole thing if you aren't rich. The estimate in the video is rather optimistic, I think I payed about 2000 something euros, but I also had to quit because I hated my first instructor, earn some more money and then start over with another one. Counting the fields on the back of my license there should be 14 classes, 3 of which I all got with one test, which appear to be cars + small hangers, scooters and farming equipment.

Narf: I suppose my teachers just loathed their job then. *shrug* :/

Last edited:
Interesting that autobahn lessons are included in Germany, learners aren't allowed on the motorways here. You can only get lessons on them as part of a 'pass plus' program that you do after getting your licence. I did it mainly because I couldn't afford a car and it was a way of getting some driving time, but it does help with insurance prices.

Interesting that autobahn lessons are included in Germany, learners aren't allowed on the motorways here. You can only get lessons on them as part of a 'pass plus' program that you do after getting your licence. I did it mainly because I couldn't afford a car and it was a way of getting some driving time, but it does help with insurance prices.

So... if you weren't allowed/forced to learn how to drive on a motorway or Autobahn, how are you supposed to know how to do that once you're not a learner any more? Magic? :lol:

My lessons were during the winter and one time I was even putting on chains at 7 in the morning during the worst snowfall of that year. THAT was fun! :lol:

The lesson previously we went onto the highway, where you're taught how to merge (which is a thing that baffles me when I see people not doing it the way it's taught... did they just forget?), follow traffic, etc...

I informed the mod team.

They will delete the thread! Been going steadily for almost 2400 pages and now you ruin it. I hope you are happy! *poutyface* Well, it's OT but is it really that dramatic if a 2400 page thread derails for a page or two?

Yeah but this isn't so much a derailment, more a "hitting an iceberg without sufficient lifeboats". With added Celine Dion.

ALLLLLL BY MY SELLLLLLEEEHELLLLLLFFFF!