Getting a Drivers License in your country

When I click on the bookmark for this thread, it goes to page 903. I'd actually be sad if it got trashed.
And 1+1 =3

So... if you weren't allowed/forced to learn how to drive on a motorway or Autobahn, how are you supposed to know how to do that once you're not a learner any more? Magic? :lol:

They use dual carriageways instead, which are basically the same but only have 2 lanes instead of 3. Yes, over here there is a difference. No, I don't know why either.

I don't know why but it goes with the further restrictions motorways have that dual carriageways don't.

They use dual carriageways instead, which are basically the same but only have 2 lanes instead of 3. Yes, over here there is a difference. No, I don't know why either.

I don't know why but it goes with the further restrictions motorways have that dual carriageways don't.

If you live in northern Scotland like me you probably aren't going to be a seeing a motorway any time soon anyway. I've never driven on one, I never drove on a dual carriageway until several years after I'd passed my test. :lol:

The US is nothing but dual carriageways and they don't go around our cities, they criss-cross right through them. Even when you live right downtown, you still jump on the highway just to go to the store. This is why we can't make do with tiny little eco-engines in full-size cars - we always have a need to get up to speed in a short burst or else it's gonna do nothing but cause accidents.

The US is nothing but dual carriageways and they don't go around our cities, they criss-cross right through them. Even when you live right downtown, you still jump on the highway just to go to the store. This is why we can't make do with tiny little eco-engines in full-size cars - we always have a need to get up to speed in a short burst or else it's gonna do nothing but cause accidents.
I mange to do it daily in a 65ft 40 ton vehicle with a zero to sixty that is glacial at best.

le sigh...

So far I've been hopping all over San Francisco (on my 3rd of 7 stops) and I only plan on getting on a road with a speed limit higher than 40mph when I'm in my way home.

Illinois. You can get a learners permit and drive with someone who, I believe is over the age of 21 only. When I was coming of age, you had to get 50 hours total with 10 at night. You are also required to be taking a drivers Ed class. At 16 you can get your license which consists of written test and practical with an instructor.

Or, you can do what I did. Wait until you are 18. At that age you go to the DMV, have a mild vision test. Next, take the written test which has a limit of 3 wrong for passing. After that, you will go with an instructor. My test consisted of driving straight on a state highway for a quarter mile. Turn into a subdivision, back around a corner, return to the DMV. If you pass, you're good to go.

What exactly could go wrong? :D

In Poland having your car license at least 3 years or longer allows you to ride 125 ccm bikes. Is it the same in Germany ?

In Poland having your car license at least 3 years or longer allows you to ride 125 ccm bikes. Is it the same in Germany ?
Your driver's licence needs to be from the stone age for that. From before April 1st 1980, IIRC.

Yup, in Europe everything under 2 liters can't get past 70 kph and therefore are not allowed on highway/Autobahnen. Because you need a 5.3 liter V8 for every three digit speed.
If you need more than 200hp to get to 60mph you're doing something wrong... and that comes from something who dislikes small, not powerful city cars

My jeep is about 170hp. It's scary slow to get up to 60/70mph. Once it's there, it's fine, it's just the way it gets there is awful.

Push the pedal harder.

Slushbox or manual?

I looked up the technical data for the Jeep Patriot with the 2.4-engine and you're right, it is slow: while that goes from 0-62 mph in 10.7 seconds, my E46 320i which has 170 hp as well does that task in 8.4 seconds (or 9.5, if you have the automatic gearbox). The Patriot is just 60 kg heavier than the BMW (or 25 if you have the automatic) and as the Patriot has a much lower top speed (180 compared to 224 kph) the gearing should be shorter on the Patriot. It is a 5-speed though, or does it have just 4 speeds?

Jeeps have a special way of taking all the power they make and making it seem like they make none at all. My brother's 2.4 litre Cherokee was the most sluggish car I've ever driven. You had to rev the nuts off it to get anywhere. You needed to go back into 4th if you wanted to get from 90 to 100 on the motorway, and even then it was glacial.

I looked up the technical data for the Jeep Patriot with the 2.4-engine and you're right, it is slow: while that goes from 0-62 mph in 10.7 seconds

So... it's only marginally faster than "my" 2.3 ton diesel van? :lol:

Push the pedal harder.

Slushbox or manual?

CVT Auto.

I looked up the technical data for the Jeep Patriot with the 2.4-engine and you're right, it is slow: while that goes from 0-62 mph in 10.7 seconds, my E46 320i which has 170 hp as well does that task in 8.4 seconds (or 9.5, if you have the automatic gearbox). The Patriot is just 60 kg heavier than the BMW (or 25 if you have the automatic) and as the Patriot has a much lower top speed (180 compared to 224 kph) the gearing should be shorter on the Patriot. It is a 5-speed though, or does it have just 4 speeds?

No gears in my model. 2006-2013 has 5-speed or CVT automatic. In 2014, they offered 5 speed manual, 6 speed automatic(if you don't get Freedom Drive II), and CVT if you get Freedom Drive II. I've gotten it up to 160KPH when I was in Wisconsin and it took a while. It's not scary or anything, feels the same as if you were doing 100KPH.

So... it's only marginally faster than "my" 2.3 ton diesel van? :lol:

Pretty terrible, eh? Every other car I drive feel like sports cars. Hell, I've driven a 2014 Patriot with the 6 speed auto and it feels so much more alive. Same engine and everything just, different trans. I drag raced a coworker in my CVT and his 6 speed auto, his pulls away so much faster. They really are better.

Chrysler's decision to use a CVT with their ECU and trans controller was terrible because, you can drive anybody else's CVT equipped cars and they have so much more pickup, better throttle response, and faster reaction to changes. Everybody uses electronic throttles and FCA vehicles are the only ones that take a half a second to respond to throttle input.