Getting first car in Vancouver

^ Yeah, I was fuckin' around. :p

I drove to UBC from the North Shore everyday for 4.5 years. It was a bitch but I got through it, my RSX was pretty good on gas luckily.

thanks but no thanks, gas will be hitting $1.50 in the summer
so its probably not a good time to get a 6.6 / 7.5 V8 which weights over 2 tonne. :lol:

btw, I will be doing daily trip from lower mainland to SFU burnaby.

I figured that'd be your answer... lol. but hey, it was worth a try.

Cobol74, Vancouver is a major city on the west cost of Canada so I doubt he will be in the wilds much. When I was up north the thing i noticed the most was 1) Most people had really crappy cars...

Lol...you must've made it as far north as Blaine, WA.

2nd hand cars are so fricik'n expensive in Van.
:cry:

About how much are late 90s 2.5RSs selling for up there?

I really those.
http://img258.imageshack.**/img258/7996/1178527248f78cb8f1ddbo2.jpg

I havent get any quotes from ICBC yet, but I heard that I will be paying more than $3000 a year.
Ummmm unless they changed something since I used to live there, that sounds like BS.

They can't discriminate against a young driver because they're government owned. So age isn't even a factor in their equations. I was only paying about 1200-1300 a month when I lived there, and I was about your age. I may have already had a couple years under my belt and that was when the discounts were higher... but still, nowhere near 3 grand. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Have you considered a Mazda MX5 "Miata"? it seems like a good mix of fun and gas mileage, and i cant imagine the insurance is very expensive.

A few minor modificiations and it can become a great street legal track car as well...

Ummmm unless they changed something since I used to live there, that sounds like BS.

They can't discriminate against a young driver because they're government owned. So age isn't even a factor in their equations. I was only paying about 1200-1300 a month when I lived there, and I was about your age. I may have already had a couple years under my belt and that was when the discounts were higher... but still, nowhere near 3 grand. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

it's definitely higher if u're younger although im not sure how much higher

How could they possibly not factor age into insurance given there's research showing you're much, much more likely to have a crash as a young'n or new driver?

"At ICBC, youth, sex and marital status are not used to determine your premium level. Every new driver, whether 16 or 56, will start out paying the base premium level when insuring a vehicle."

Its experience on the road, not age, that has the biggest effect on likeliness to be involved in an accident.

I had no clue... maybe ICBC aren't so evil after all.

But they still suck big time. A biker with no insurance ran into my car in 2001 and ICBC is still penalizing my parents for it 7 years down the line... and on three different cars. So stupid...

Ouch! Because of that, your parents ended up paying? That's brutal.

I'm not really sure what to think about ICBC; sometimes I think its rates are rediculous, but then I hear horror stories about private insurers not paying out, or simply not insuring people due to varying causes. And if you get speeding tickets with the frequency that I do...you're just plain uninsurable.

Have you considered a Mazda MX5 "Miata"? it seems like a good mix of fun and gas mileage, and i cant imagine the insurance is very expensive.

A few minor modificiations and it can become a great street legal track car as well...

I will need 4 doors and 5 seats to drive my family around, so 2 seater is not an option. :( i like the mx5 too.

Ouch! Because of that, your parents ended up paying? That's brutal.

Yeah, they ended up paying because the bicyclist obviously didn't have insurance that could cover our costs.

Funny thing is, ICBC started penalizing the car I got into the accident with (a Merc ML), then when I bought the RSX the penalties transferred over to me, and after I sold the RSX it somehow ended up on my dad's SL. Luckily, they tell us 2008 will be the last year we have to pay for that specific incident.

I'm not really sure what to think about ICBC; sometimes I think its rates are rediculous, but then I hear horror stories about private insurers not paying out, or simply not insuring people due to varying causes. And if you get speeding tickets with the frequency that I do...you're just plain uninsurable.

Same here, I hate ICBC for the aforementioned reasons but then again I hear the private companies out east are even worse (not even insuring some young people).

But you do know that if you incur a few speeding tickets annually ICBC will bill you a dangerous driver premium separate to your insurance costs? I got a separate bill for $400 halfway through 2005 because I had had 3 speeding offenses. Obviously the $500 fine I paid on the tickets wasn't enough for these assholes... :wall: