getting into stocks and making money

Carsightings

well i really want to start trading and making some money.

i read this:

http://money.howstuffworks.com/stock.htm/printable

this is a good articale for noobs :) it explains the main idea and some terms.

after that i found this:

http://www.investorguide.com/links-dir-brokerlist.html

a list of on line stock brokers

the thing is i need some help starting off. what broker should i use? and what should i invest in? i know "SL65" (the admin) is around my age and he is also into stocks. I hope he and some others could help.

btw the links i gave would be great for a noob like me who wants to get into the stock world.

first thing you need to find out from those online brokers is their minimum investment amount. some have a high amount, and some have low. you'll have to weigh that in with the fee it costs to have them place an order. for instance, i too was looking, but just curious, and Ameritrade.com i think had a minimum of about $2500. i think, been a while, so don't remember exactly. might want to see if some of those listed brokers have a fee for going below this number too. hope this helps. i'm sure like you said SL65 will have probably better info than me.

might be hard to find online brokerages that will let you invest that small amount. that's the same reason that i couldn't invest myself. didn't have enough "play money". you might have to do some deep research on that list of brokerages to find a cheap one for you.

personally for me, i was thinking of investing in Sirius satellite radio, since i'm a subscriber. low start price at around $5, long term invest for me. for fun, short term stuff, i'd invest in stocks below $1, as to not lose much money. it might be different for you in Israel. i'd invest in local companies first i think. however, i too would want to know what SL65 has invested in since he has first hand experience.

I'm not a trader, but I do work with investing at work. And as burnsy said, you will never find a broker that will work with your $80 investment. Reason being, not cause he's a dick, but becuase he's not gonna make any commision on an $80 investment. Since you're young you prolly have plenty of time to monitor the actions, but If you really wanna start making money and are too busy to monitor fluctuations every day... go Mutual funds or IRAs.

Yeah, they aren't as fun but they are a lot safer than just the raw market. (Speaking on behalf of my company's MFs, not all MFs are safe or as safe as ours.) MFs are basically a person or group of people that spread your money out and invest in several stocks (based on what you want to get out of it), instead of you putting all your money in one fund flat out.

IRAs are used mostly for retirement, but as far as I'm concerned it's never too early to worry about when your get to do nothing all day. :lol:

Hope this helps, I can't be too much of a help cuase I'm not at all familiar with international trading.

burnsy said:
No Boss, good advice. i'll keep that in mind too if i ever get around to trading.

Yeah, a Mutual Fund is a much safer investment, if you are looking for long term money growth.

I'd say stocks are best left to professionals, but there have been a few I wanted to get (notably apple when it was $19 a share 6 years ago), and a few others (mostly utilities). Stock purchasing decisions are not to be made without a ton of research, and a lot of times that doesn't help, because the past performance of a stock isn't necessarily going to predict the future performance. Utilities are usually a safe bet (either electric, natural gas or telecom) since most of them are not going away anytime soon. They may be fairly high priced though, since they are more reliable companies.

Re: getting into stocks and making money

Carsightings said:
"SL65" (the admin)

Thank God he's only a mod and not the admin, or else we'd all be in serious trouble :lol:

burnsy said:
however, i too would want to know what SL65 has invested in since he has first hand experience.
I invested in Google options last year and got a 200-something% return on my investment which was great. Got into it shortly after I heard about Google Earth...that was only the beginning of what Google ended up getting into.

I'm currently investing in Daimler Chrysler. It went up very nicely shortly after the new year due to record sales with MBUSA. Every month since, they have been announcing "record sales" so it would be a good time to get in.

I did however loose lots on Nokia before I invested in Google :( Good thing with options is that your lose is minimised unlike with shares...but still a lose anyway.

I also invest in various Aussie options...

As for explaining how they work and who you purchase them off...I'm inexpirience in that because I look at the charts and get industry information and when I want, I ask my mother to purchase the options for me. It does take time for me to pick a good option however...

jeffy777 said:
Carsightings said:
"SL65" (the admin)

Thank God he's only a mod and not the admin, or else we'd all be in serious trouble :lol:
Hmmm....admin-ship...I'd love that :evil:

:lol:

SL said:
jeffy777 said:
Carsightings said:
"SL65" (the admin)

Hmmm....admin-ship...I'd love that :evil:

:lol:

Oh yes, we know.................but we can't let the world end this soon.................... :think:

eeehehehehe, just playing with ya