Getting no sound from 15x01 1080i TG rip?

dmd

Car(s)
C4/C5 Corvette convertibles, 88 Fiero GTs 5.7/3.4
Took my first stab at a 1080i HD TG rip this time, and though the video is perfect there's no sound. Says it's DD2.0 which I assume is two-channel Dolby Digital (AC-3), but I get nothing on Win7 x64 Media Center even though DVDs play fine and so do my SD TG episodes. I'm running the Shark007 x64 codec pack.

More info

More info

I've run MediaInfo on the container, as I had no luck with GSpot, and it does show an audio track with the following info.

ID : 5501 (0x157D)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Duration : 1h 3mn
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 192 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Video delay : -40ms
Stream size : 86.6 MiB (2%)
Language : English

AC-3 audio definitely works just fine on other files, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work on this one, especially since it is showing up as valid. Has anyone else played this torrent successfully?

Took my first stab at a 1080i HD TG rip this time, and though the video is perfect there's no sound. Says it's DD2.0 which I assume is two-channel Dolby Digital (AC-3), but I get nothing on Win7 x64 Media Center even though DVDs play fine and so do my SD TG episodes. I'm running the Shark007 x64 codec pack.

Win 7 MCE doesn't use external codecs (unless hacked: www.hack7mc.com), so the codec pack doesn't matter.
Try to play the file with MPC-HC

Just curious, last season was done using 6ch. Why is it now just in 2ch?

As stated in last season's threads, Top Gear is recorded in stereo. The first release had six channels because the BBC lady at the end was using them. During the other 99% four of the six channels were silent.

Actually I already had CCCP and uninstalled it in favor of Shark007 because CCCP wouldn't play some files that worked with Shark007. But obviously this one has stumped even Shark007.

As stated in last season's threads, Top Gear is recorded in stereo. The first release had six channels because the BBC lady at the end was using them. During the other 99% four of the six channels were silent.

Good hell, forgive me. I feel like such a knob. I never watched the last season on my HT, just on my computer in 2.1ch. It seem they went back to stereo towards the end of the season anyhow. You're right, I can hear absolutely no mixing in the 6.1ch rips.

Carry on, sorry for the hijack.

As for the OP, I've never had luck with codec packs and Windows 7.

Last edited:
As for the sound not working, it has something to do with the way it was recorded/ripped. Windows 7 and Media Center are more then capable of playing a raw TS file, whenever I record something using my hauppauge usb tuner it works great (it even saves the closed captioning as subtitles), and some of the rips from the last series work great as well, thankfully the Bolivia special is one of them.

Tear just isn't doing a very good job with their capture, i think these bad rips can be rebuilt or fixed so that they play nice in media center, it doesn't require re-encoding, just using the right program to pull the video and audio apart and putting it back together. If you just want to watch it on your computer, VLC can play them no problem.

Last edited:
Agree with Psygnosis 100%. I hate the prospect of cluttering my PC with needless codec packs and extra players if Windows 7 can do the job; to me that's just ignoring the route problem (bad rips). I've been searching for weeks trying to find a simple solution to clean these offending TS rips, and I think I finally found one called MPEG2Repair. Free and dead easy. For me, every one that it's "cleaned" now plays perfectly in Windows Media Player.

I got mine working with cccp but now the video looks worse to me. Or am I imagining things? Is there a way to keep the HD and audio???!!!

I got mine working with cccp but now the video looks worse to me. Or am I imagining things? Is there a way to keep the HD and audio???!!!

It should still be HD. But do you have deinterlacing turned on?