Getting Started in Photography

Vambeer

Car(s)
2003 FIAT Punto Sporting 95HP, 2011 Volvo S60 1.6D
Hey guys, i am looking to get into expand my point-and-shoot horizons and get into dslr territory. But as you propably know, i am a novice in the field and i am looking for advice.

The first dilemma i am facing as funding is an issue is: brand new or used body. With a little bit of searching online i found that some of the moving parts inside the body (mainly shutter mechanism(?)) have a fixed lifetime making a used body something of a gamble. How much of a gamble is it and how can i verify that the used camera has indeed the 7.000 shots the seller tells me it has!?

Secondly i would like to know the equipment i need as a rookie. By that i mean lens(es), tripod, filters etc. The main reason i am getting into photography is cars, so that will be my main subject. Of course the process of learning will make me shoot other stuff as well but cars are my passion.

Third is the choice of camera. I want an entry-level dslr of course. Something that will help me grow as a photographer and will cover my needs for at least some years. I don't want to outgrow my camera in a year or so. Of course money is always an issue so i am looking for something not too expensive. I've been to the stores once just to talk to somebody who knows and learn the prices but the service was not what i expected. Nobody seemed to be interested in chatting with a beginner... So i just looked around. The only resonable option i found was something in the region of Nikon D3100 (380? with a 18-55 lens) and Nikon D5100 (490? with the same lens). Canon has some distributing problems in my city so i couldn't find any. I don't want to go over 500?. I know i probably should but i just don't have the money plus i think that a camera like these two is all i need.

I would very much appreciate the help as i don't want to buy something i don't need or pay too much money when there is another option that suits my needs...

I can at least tell you what I did when I started off:

I read plenty of reviews, then ended up falling in love with the Pentax cameras, especial the K-mount system. Maybe it's also because I didn't want to be another Canikon guy. So then I went ahead and bought a K-r with the kit lens that's 18-55mm. After playing around, I realised I needed a bit more zoom, so I got a 55-300mm zoom. Then after a while, fell in love with the pictures taken by the fast primes, so got a f/1.2 50mm prime.

After a year of using that entry-level camera, decided to change up to the K-5, and it was SO much better. Just recently I got a tripod so I can do some star photography.

Firstly, as a new user, the brand isn't very important, and every company makes great cameras. That said, look into the lenses they make, some brands have very expensive lenses, others cheaper. In the long run, you'll be spending a lot more money on lenses than the body. I went with Pentax because their lenses are cheaper (relatively). This is due to the stabilization motor is built into the camera body and not the lens. Regarding lenses, I didn't NEED a zoom or prime lens, but eventually, you'll get them and others because that's the whole point of dSLRs. You can find a lot of decent used bodies on the camera forums/ebay, just make sure it's a reputable seller. I won't be *too* worried about the shutter count, since most are rated to go up to 100,000 (or 100.000 in your currency). 7.000 is considered just broken in.

The decision of a tripod will be up to you. Will the cars be for 'portraits' or in motion? Then you might want to consider a tripod, especially if you want to take 'speed blur' shots. That said, you'll need to lug it around, so take that into consideration. You don't NEED filters, but they tend to add to the image effects.

As a beginner, I'd suggest to just start simple, get an entry/upper entry level body and the kit lens, and start playing. Experiment with the camera, learn about the functions and the triangle of imaging (ISO, aperture, shutter speed) and just feel it out. Don't worry about the extra kit until you get to a point in your skills when you realise that, "yes, this image would definitely look better with a filter/tripod"

The body won't matter that much in terms of picture quality. There are almost no shots you can get with a high-end body that you can't with an entry-level body. The higher-end stuff just makes it faster and more convenient.

Selecting a lens can be tricky, because it will vary based on your style. How will you be shooting the cars? At car shows? Arranged still shoots? Event and action?

I know the body won't matter much in terms of quality, especially in my -amateur/learning case- but it does matter for easy of use, how noob-friendly the controls are and as i was checking out Nikon cameras, image stabilization which it does not offer -lens VR instead-.

The cars will be shot outside, in an arranged fashion. No action shots at first, no car shows. Just interior and exterior photos in various locations.

So, you'll be arranging the shots? Learn about and invest in lighting. That is what is going to make the biggest difference in your photos.

That has always been my one photographer friend's advice. Photography is the art of capturing light. Learn as much as you can about the affects of light and knowing what to avoid/what works to your advantage to get great shots.

It's like driving. Sure, you can add some horsepower, stickier tires or better brakes...the the best way to get around the track faster? Learn to use what you have to the best of it's ability.

I know the body won't matter much in terms of quality, especially in my -amateur/learning case- but it does matter for easy of use, how noob-friendly the controls are and as i was checking out Nikon cameras, image stabilization which it does not offer -lens VR instead-.

The cars will be shot outside, in an arranged fashion. No action shots at first, no car shows. Just interior and exterior photos in various locations.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/2/2663464/camera-buyers-guide

While you're deciding what to buy, read this article, its good for explaining many of the basics, and thus, help you decide what to buy. Good luck in your pursuits, as the college admission letters would say...

Last edited: