Getting very different readings for 8800GT

L2D

Car(s)
1999 Toyota Camry V6
Speedfan says I am getting a temperature of 44C
RivaTuner says I am getting a core temperature of around 152C

Which should I believe? And I am getting artificing as soon as I am starting gaming which freezes my computer and makes me restart

I have an Eagle 8800GT which I have flexed quite hard trying to take out, only working out that I needed to take the mobo out before I could take out the GPU. After that I took off the cooler and cleaned off the dust. I just put it back and off I went, I did see there was a point with thermal paste I think? Help please.

Touch the heatsink when your computer is on, you should feel that it's slightly warm. If it's completely cool, then it could be that when you're putting the cooler back you didn't do it correctly, so the cooler is not making good contact with the GPU. Also, did you re-apply the thermal paste when reinstalling the cooler? If not, you need to clean out the old thermal paste and re-apply some new one.

I pimp-slapped(used the back of my hand) to feel if the GPU radiated heat, which it did through the copper pipes
DSC00270.jpg

I did not reapply thermal paste..I was thinking that, but wasnt sure. What should I use to clean off the old thermal paste. And thermal paste is universal right, as in I can use it for the GPU and CPU?

I would say that RivaTuner is right, and damn that's way too hot, no? I think you should get a new cooler (Zalman makes good ones).

wow, I think the card wouldn't be working at 152 ?C

and 44 c seems reasonable for a 8800GT idle, try gpuz http://techpowerup.com/gpuz/

but try to see if the heatsink is any warm... see if its correctly (making good contact with the GPU) installed, and you need to reapply the thermal paste..
to clean the old one I normally just use a cloth or something.. but is good to use isopropyl Alcohol;;

Ok, I tried installing GPU-Z, but I kept getting the problem of
GPU-Z has encountered a problem and needs to close....
So I can't check through there.

Also, that arctic cooling kit, that doesn't come with the paste does it? And is 3.5 grams enough for a GPU and CPU?

There are tons of other tools: EVGA Precision, Everest,...

Just touch the damn thing. Try the cooler first, then the back of the PCB above the chip: Both are warm, cooling is ok. Discrepancy: Problem...

152?C can't be right anyway, the GPU would throttle down. It'll be toast @152...

3.5 grams of thermal paste is enough for several installs!!! Hope you didn't apply too much on the GPU...

I pimp-slapped(used the back of my hand) to feel if the GPU radiated heat, which it did through the copper pipes
DSC00270.jpg

I did not reapply thermal paste..I was thinking that, but wasnt sure. What should I use to clean off the old thermal paste. And thermal paste is universal right, as in I can use it for the GPU and CPU?

If you feel heat from the heatpipe and it's not burning hot, then 44c sounds right.

Well, I would love to see what the problem is, but I'm pretty sure the power supply has given in. But I am getting it tested today, so if its not working I will need to RMA it. How long do you guys normally take to do warranty stuff?

Also, I looked between the heatsink and the card itself, and they are not touching as in the chip where I'm meant to put thermal paste and the part of the heatsink, is that an issue?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that sounds bad, and could easily result in 150 degree temps (which still should not be able to happen due to the card protecting itself).

So, cooler and gpu aren't touching? Is this a joke thread? Off course thats bad...
Warranty: Totally depends on the brand. My Bequiet has 24h on site replacement warranty for the first year. With most brands you're better off buying a new one and selling the replacement you get later on...