Ghosts- are they real?

ok seems people have been wondering the point of the thread. the point is I was watching some show about ghosts and was wondering what other peoples opinions were and thats exactly what happened. isn't this off topic? does it need to make sense?

So theres been alot tv shows on lately dealing with ghost, aparitions,spirits or whatever you want to call them. And I have to say theres alot of stuff that goes on that cant really be explained. so the question I post to you. Ghosts - Real or not? Discuss.
Well, I saw some strange things in my life. But that's all I'd call them: something strange happened to me and I can't explain it. But I won't call it ghost aparitions .. who knows what it might have been?

All that happened was not so long after my grandfather, a good man who had raised me through most of my childhood from the beginning. He and my grandmother had been living with my folks and I for a while. He was astmatic and a smoker ... bad combination, but what did him in eventually was a stroke, go figure. There's an old folk saying in Romania that the dead people's souls will stick around for 40 days in the world to visit places they have been and people they know before they go to the afterlife. No, I don't believe in it, not a very religious person, but whatever. It is also said that the dead, when they visit people, will knock on their windows, thus asking the people in the house to let them in. The catch is that they won't be the only ones knocking, but evil spirits will also try to trick people to let them in so they can come in and cause suffering to the family of the deceased. hhhhmmmmmm, folk stories, what can I say? :rolleyes:

What happened was recounted by my mother. About 3 weeks after my grandfather died and we had his funeral, my mother was up one night. She always suffered from insomnia ... she still has it these days, she can't sleep more then 3-4 hours at a time. So while she was tossing and turning trying to get back to sleep, she heard 3 distinct knocks on the window. Aparently upon scrutiny from the rest of us, saying how the windows might have been shaking from the wind, she said that they were indeed 3 knocks, just as if someone was knocking at the door. She ignored it at first and tried to go back to sleep, soon it happened again, and again 3 knocks right after one another. Again, she put it aside, and again it happened after another half-a-minute or so. So, she got up and stood right in front of the window, and again, the knocks came. As she stood there, she got a warm feeling, like a feeling of peace. So, she opened the window, left it open for a bit and closed it. The knocking stopped, and then she managed to get back to sleep.

Now here's what happened to me, the week right after my mother's event: One night I was sleeping soundly in the living room. It was one of those nights when my room was too hot to sleep in and the living room was always cool, and I could watch a movie till I fell asleep since the heat would keep me up. Between the living room and the hallway we had a door with a large window. So as I was sleeping, I got woken up by something. Didn't realize what it was at first, since I was weezy as hell ... I'm one of those people that aren't easily awoken, and if awoken early it really takes some time to get me out of bed. Then I hear what woke me up: 3 distinct knocks on the window of the door between the living room and the hallway. I was sleeping on the couch which was right by the door really, perpendicular to the entrance. If you opened the door, you'd actually hit the couch at the end of the arch. I was sleeping with my head to the door, so I was sure of what I heard. Once I heard it, I looked up. My mom was in the kitchen, again with her insomnia, reading a book, so she had the light on and the door was opened so the light spilled out into the hallway. What I saw was a distinct shape ... shadow, what have you, on the window door ... and I could have sworn it was my grandfather. Not only were the body proportions spot on, but you could see the facial features, outline of the forehead, nose and hair. No shape behind the door or anything, just a shadow on the window. As I stood there, a bit baffeled and shaken, the knocking came up again. Oh, that really sent shivers up my spine. I didn't know what to do. I pulled the sheets to my head all the way to my face ... the only thing that was visible was my face ... directly looking close up to the shadow on my door. Then the knocking came up again. I was still like a stone and stood there. The knocking kept it up as I was standing there not knowing what to do. It must have reached more than 10 knocking attempts, all were 3 knocks, just like someone would knock on the door. Then they stopped, suddenly. I waited in bed with the sheets up to my face until I was sure it stopped ... don't know how long I've been waiting there. The shape on the door was still there. Then I looked away for a second to look at the clock and when I looked again at the door, the shape was gone. I still stayed in bed for a while. When I finally thought and hoped the coast was clear, I rushed out of bed and out the door, into the kitchen, screaming to my mom, all white in the face. She was scared by me. She never heard any of the knocks .. though she was no more than 3 meters from my door herself. So I stood up with her, telling her what had happened. Finally, I went back to bed ... no more knocking at the door. And no, I hadn't dreamed the whole thing either. Right before breakfast, my mom asked me if I heard the knockin again and if I was ok ... first thing after I came in the kitchen. The event probably lasted more than half an hour of me laying scare in bed and a couple of hours after spent in the kitchen, wondering what had happened.

So yeah, I believe in the paranormal .. or at least what happened to me personally. But no, I wouldn't be as rash to call it a ghost or anything. Something happened, I still can't explain it to this day. What can I say? We humans don't know everything and maybe not all things have been discovered in the world and we haven't reached a scientific level high enough to explain them. But that doesn't mean that some things don't exist. I'm still a skeptic of the paranormal ... and I've become so progressively more as time went by. But I still remember what happened to me, and I can't deny it happened. But hey, who knows, maybe I was halucinating, whatever ... but something happened ... nobody might even know what, not even I, but hey ... I care less. What I did care about for a few weeks after and I still feel a bit guilty about it to this day was that it might have been my grandfather, the one person who was more like a father figure to me second to my dad ... a man who had raised me from a baby and until I was 8, as my parents were in the middle of a divorce, and then reconciled and I lived with my grandparents, a man who gave me my most deepest values and shaped my very basic person who lasts until this day, I was his first nephew who he loved very much, the first man to come down from his bloodline, he having only 2 daughters, my mom and my aunt ... and I failed to let him in.

There are many strange things happening around me that I could blame on some unknown outside forces. Like the other day, a saturday if I'm not mistaken. After I got up, I took my usual morning dump and read an interview with Charlize Theron on the movie Hancock in my tv-guide. After I was done, I went down to the living room to pick up the daily newspaper. They always have some interesting quote of a random person on the front page. And what would I read there? A quote from Charlize Theron (the quote was in no way related to Hancock by the way). Only minutes later, a paper boy dropped some weekly shopping ad which attracts readers with a random famous face on the front page. And whom would I find there? Charlize Theron.

Now give me the figures on the probability of said things happening in such a short period of time. It's a conspiracy ... Charlize wants me ... badly!!! :lol:
Probability? Very high.
If a new movie that the press is pushing is soon to come out, and especially if they expect that it would have a huge following, You can be pretty sure that the stars who play the main charcters will be all over the news, whether related to the film or not. Everyone will put them on their front covers and will request interviews with them, because they know that people will read their papers if they know a certain celebrity is interviewed. Everyone expects to hear at least something about the upcoming film, so they will read it, thus the paper will sell more if they include at least something from the said celebrities. It makes good business sense.
This will come to a climax once the film is already out and after about a week it will die down. Unless the movie is phenomenal, in which case they'll be writing about it for months to come, until the academy awards knock at the door.

Why Not?

Someone quit at my moms last job because of weird happenings on the 2nd floor mens room. Plus i know a lot of interesting people who have no need to makup stories that have reportedly seen ghosts.

I wouldn't leave out that theirs not a scientific explanation though, hopefully we'll know someday.

Last edited:
Probability? Very high.
If a new movie that the press is pushing is soon to come out, and especially if they expect that it would have a huge following, You can be pretty sure that the stars who play the main charcters will be all over the news, whether related to the film or not. Everyone will put them on their front covers and will request interviews with them, because they know that people will read their papers if they know a certain celebrity is interviewed. Everyone expects to hear at least something about the upcoming film, so they will read it, thus the paper will sell more if they include at least something from the said celebrities. It makes good business sense.
This will come to a climax once the film is already out and after about a week it will die down. Unless the movie is phenomenal, in which case they'll be writing about it for months to come, until the academy awards knock at the door.
Of course you have a point there. But still, it is quite a coincidence that I decide to read just that part of my tv-guide on that morning. And the newspaper, which arrives every day except sunday, decides to put up the statement of that very person for that day. And the ad, arriving once a week, decides so, too. And that saturday was in no way related to the release of the movie in Germany, because movies only are released on thursdays, and the release was like one month ahead. Surely, they'll start talking about it prior to the release, but there are so many variables in this case that one has to wonder about the probability of them coming together.

Last edited:
I'm a Ghost!

Haha... this thread will be awesome if combined with this one. Ghosts and UFOs are a match made in heaven. These topics interest me alot.... :p

What if a UFO abducted a ghost? :eek:

It could cause a rip in space time....

QUICK CALL HAWKING! :p

I believe there is SOMETHING, I'm not sure what but it's there. Logic and science fall short of explaining some things. I've heard enough stories to wonder.

When I was a kid and my Mom and Dad wanted to go out they would bring us, my brother and I, to one of her friends houses for them to babysit us. Well a couple times we stayed the night and both times we heard weird shit. There were all sorts of weird noises that would come from down stairs and it was the scariest thing I've ever been through, we weren't the only ones hearing the noises either the people watching us heard them to and went to check them out to find nothing. For some reason the noises only happened when we were there, maybe it was because we were using a room they normally left empty, I don't know it was just scary as hell.

I?m naturally skeptic about anyting, and when people tell me about ghosts, magic, ufos, or anything else that?s weird, you can usually pretty much assume that I won?t believe them...

But I also believe that there is a lot of weird shit going on that we just can?t explain... I experienced some REALLY weird stuff with the girlfriend of a friend of mine, which got me thinking, and I (very recently) had a weird dream that ended up happening in a slightly less spectacular manner the next day... but none of this has anything to do with ghosts, and if you?re anything like me you won?t believe it anyway, so I won?t bore you with it...

no they aren't. Ghost Whisperer's sole purpose in life is so I can watch Jennifer Love Hewitt in various skimpy costumes. The storyline is largely irrellevant

ghost-whisperer-20070404044619545.jpg

When I was a kid and my Mom and Dad wanted to go out they would bring us, my brother and I, to one of her friends houses for them to babysit us. Well a couple times we stayed the night and both times we heard weird shit. There were all sorts of weird noises that would come from down stairs and it was the scariest thing I've ever been through, we weren't the only ones hearing the noises either the people watching us heard them to and went to check them out to find nothing. For some reason the noises only happened when we were there, maybe it was because we were using a room they normally left empty, I don't know it was just scary as hell.

Same here, last night after watching movie, I heard some weird noises at corridor, couldn't care less, went to bed and after about twenty minutes something fell at the other room, then really i was scared shitless, went to check but there was nothing there. Hopefully it was only my imagination.