GIFs slowing computer to a crawl!

Dr. Woo

Car(s)
2008 VW .:R32
Whenever I open a page with a large animated gif, my machine starts slowing down TREMENDOUSLY (such as some of the avatars on this site). It's strange because it's a brand-new install of Windows. Firefox is not an option (not approved on our network), so IE it must be. It's weird because my machine is the first one I've seen this on for our network.

Any ideas?

Maybe we should ban avatar/sig combos that total more than 250kb? I think some of those GIFs are so unnessasarily large.

As for the time being, couldnt you switch browser at all Dr. Woo? Otherwise, i dont know what you could do..

If you can still download and install stuff, I'd go and use firefox. Copy any proxy options you may have. System admins are around to be screwed with anyway. :)
(i was one)

Kip_6666 said:
If you can still download and install stuff, I'd go and use firefox. Copy any proxy options you may have. System admins are around to be screwed with anyway. :)
(i was one)
I AM a system admin. We are one of the highest-visibility offices in the building. I truly have no idea why it's doing this, and after having spent two days setting up this machine (it's not just some regular machine), there's no way in hell I'm going to reload it.

i have some problems with the GIFs as well. it slows down my pc a little bit, but as long as there is a gif on-screen, there's a weird buzzing coming from my case every time a new frame loads in the gif (which are a lot in some of the gifs on here)

I've decided to turn off animated gifs for now, at least until I find a solution.

Kip_6666 said:
newest version of IE?

and is the cache local?
My version is the latest approved for use on our network. 6.0.2900, SP2. As for the cache...you don't mean the temp. files, do you? If so, yes, it's local.

yeah thats what i ment.

Unlucky Dr woo.

I can't find any other explanations in my resources.

Maybe the graphic cards options, that hardware acceleration isn't totaly activated, but thats very unlikely.

Kip_6666 said:
Maybe the graphic cards options, that hardware acceleration isn't totaly activated, but thats very unlikely.
Oh for the love of God, FINALLY.

I didn't even think about updating my video card drivers, and now it's perfectly fine.

Tsk tsk, always update teh drivers :p

Dr. Woo said:
Kip_6666 said:
Oh for the love of God, FINALLY.

I didn't even think about updating my video card drivers, and now it's perfectly fine.

What do I win? :p

I have a related question. I saved a couple of animated gif avatars from this forum because I thought they looked amusing, but, for some reason it plays a lot slower in Windows Picture Viewer than it does in FireFox. Anyone?

cvg said:
Just press the Escape key once to stop the animation.

DUDE THAT RULES!!!! i never knew that

Dr. Woo said:
You can do that by pressing the "STOP" button as well. ESC is just the STOP button.

After the page loads the Stop icon greys out for me, at least in Firefox. So the Escape Key is the only thing that works.