Gift ideas for someone that wants to make the world a better place

CD82

Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0 TDI
Hi everyone,

I have a bit of an odd question: What do you gift someone that wants to make the world a better place?

Let me do some explaining first. I'm a scientist. One of my reasons for becoming a physicist was that I wanted to do something to advance mankind, to improve who we are, to make life a little nicer for everyone*. After two years as a post-doc at university I "sold out" and started working for a company because I didn't want to put up with short-term contracts (and somewhat subpar payment) anymore, so I'm out of the game.

A couple of days ago I talked to a fellow scientist from my old department. Turns out we share some ideals about being a scientists. Specifically, she told me that she wants to make the world a better place. Contrary to my recent change in careers she's sticking with an academic career and is in the progress of becoming a professor, so she actually has a shot at doing something significant down the line (contrary to myself). Anyway, at that moment an idea was born:

How about I make a couple donations to organizations (for instance Doctors without Borders, Caritas, etc) in her name, so that she can do some improving right now, although probably not in the way she had in mind when she told me? Next step would be to make a present out of the receipts and give it to her. And just to clarify, she's the type of person that carries pens in her backpack when she's hiking in Nepal which she then gives away to children along her route. So she's totally down to earth when it comes to helping people, not (just) in a "crazy scientist"-way.

What do you think of this idea? Too stupid? Too naiv? If so: What else would you suggest for me in order to help her make this world a little better? Do you know which organizations to prefer/avoid when donating money?

*yeah, some of us physicists really have this idea of maybe discovering something that helps all of humanity. That's why some of us stick to academic careers where we can do independent research.

Chocolates, the answer is always chocolates. :p

While noble, there is no correct answer to this.

How about finding a local (to her area) organisation that helps e.g. children from violent households and asking them what sort of thing they need? If it's anything but money, you can get it, take a photo and then send it where it's needed. The photo goes in an envelope, you add a Christmas card and send her both.

If you're trying to decide which charities to help out, Charity Navigator is good to use.

Also, if you're up for it, a lot of shelters need basic necessities. You could always organize something (e.g., a shopping trip?) and make it a day to gather the items and drop them off for donation.

Cards Against Humanity.

That was my first thought has well :lol:

But seriously, the people behind that game actually give back a lot to various charities. I really like their moral code (and the immorality of some of their cards).

You might also find this article relevant before you make your decision.

That is always a problem with any gift given. Haven't we all received something that made us scratch our heads and wonder why that person would get you that?

So I go back to my original comment, chocolates. :p

Or how about this, cash. I know it seems a bit crass and unimaginative, but I think it is the only solution. But the note that goes with it must explain why. Something like:

"You have inspired me to help you make the world a better place. I am completely unable to fathom how I can help you do this, so I humbly give you this donation/gift to let you choose the best thing that will help you help the world. You can do anything you wish with it, but I hope you use it in a way that will bring a bit of a smile as part of it."

Chocolates are also a nice side gift. :D

Cards Against Humanity.
Nah, gonna get that for myself first :D

If you're trying to decide which charities to help out, Charity Navigator is good to use.
Thanks, I'll have a look at that.

You might also find this article relevant before you make your decision.
Much appreciated. I know it's risky, but I think it could work for her. But just to be sure I could certainly also get something for her besides the donation.

Or how about this, cash. I know it seems a bit crass and unimaginative, but I think it is the only solution. But the note that goes with it must explain why. Something like:

"You have inspired me to help you make the world a better place. I am completely unable to fathom how I can help you do this, so I humbly give you this donation/gift to let you choose the best thing that will help you help the world. You can do anything you wish with it, but I hope you use it in a way that will bring a bit of a smile as part of it."

Chocolates are also a nice side gift. :D
That's certainly a nice idea, which I will keep in mind. Btw: this isn't for Christmas, so there is no pressure. A couple of years ago I adopted the strategy of "giving people presents whenever the fuck I want, not when some tradition or made up holiday tells me to". So there is still plenty of time.

You're telling a Swiss guy to buy chocolates as a present? :blink:
He's also telling me to gift that other thing the Swiss are known for. Money. :p
I'm not even Swiss, I just live here... but the Swiss sure make nice chocolate. And good coffee. And a lot of money. :cool:

And thanks for all the feedback. I was a little afraid to come back here, because I wasn't too sure about that idea in the first place. Now I have to sleep over it some more. At least it gives me something to do during Christmas...

Last edited: