Gigabit Switch

If you're willing to pay a bit more, you should look into the HP ProCurve range. They're abit more expensive than the household brands, but come with a lifetime warranty.

Ex lease stuff on ebay almost makes it affordable :p

I've got my eye on some cisco gigabit switches :D

I personally wouldn't bother with Gigabit at all. I did a speed test of a direct connection between my NAS and my PC, both of which have gigabit LAN. The speed was around 16MB/s transfer speed. Through my router I get 10, and that's 100Mbps.

Might just be me though.

We have a nas box at work that seems slow - but mainly if you write lots of files. One big file is fine. So we decided it was probably just the filesystem or the disk controller in the nas that was the bottleneck...

Finally bought it and hooked it up. Sadly my youngest sister is too far away and/or on too poor of CAT to get gigabit (it only manages 100mbit) and my other sister is only about 400mbit last I looked, but I'm at least getting gigabit. That means I can dump stuff onto both their PC's at the same time without me being the bottleneck. So yay! :)

Finally bought it and hooked it up. Sadly my youngest sister is too far away and/or on too poor of CAT to get gigabit (it only manages 100mbit) and my other sister is only about 400mbit last I looked, but I'm at least getting gigabit. That means I can dump stuff onto both their PC's at the same time without me being the bottleneck. So yay! :)

how that is even possible?

all i know that 100m (or 328.08399 feet) is max for lan usage.
And what is that 400mbit? 100mbit with full duplex x2?

To the poor cat problem, i think 20m (or 65.6167979 feet) is max for 1gig in cat5e cable.

Did you cheack that on your sisters pc isn't only 100mbit -card and has "auto lan detect" on?

the thing with gigabit-ethernet is, that it always decides by itself which speed is the best, so the freaki-ish'st speeds are created...

it always depends on the quality of the cable and lan-adaptors... i had it a few times, that even the harddisk-drives where the "bottleneck"

The biggest issue isn't usually with the cable but with poor termination.

For myself, I have never yet managed to get full gigabit speeds working. Even with Windows reporting gigabit at the connection, the real transfer speeds rarely exceeded ~100-200mbit. I tried quite a lot of different things, including using (quite expensive) CAT7 cables, replacing the LAN card, drivers, everything - it never got working properly :) Now I have a router from my new internet provider, that only supports 100mbit at it's 4 LAN ports, and I decided to stop fooling around and just stick to that - I mean, 100mbit still is enough for streaming even HD contents in the network (transfer speeds get up to 8-9mbyte/s).

There are also quite a few gigabit switches out there that are total garbage and will never do 1000mbit. If you're lucky you can snag a cheap ex business switch off ebay that's far more likely to get your 1000mbit.

the thing with gigabit-ethernet is, that it always decides by itself which speed is the best, so the freaki-ish'st speeds are created...

it always depends on the quality of the cable and lan-adaptors... i had it a few times, that even the harddisk-drives where the "bottleneck"

i c, every day you learn something new.

The biggest issue isn't usually with the cable but with poor termination.

So we should invest to the tools and make the cable termination ourselves.
It isn't hard but its expensive.

For myself, I have never yet managed to get full gigabit speeds working. Even with Windows reporting gigabit at the connection, the real transfer speeds rarely exceeded ~100-200mbit. I tried quite a lot of different things, including using (quite expensive) CAT7 cables, replacing the LAN card, drivers, everything - it never got working properly :) Now I have a router from my new internet provider, that only supports 100mbit at it's 4 LAN ports, and I decided to stop fooling around and just stick to that - I mean, 100mbit still is enough for streaming even HD contents in the network (transfer speeds get up to 8-9mbyte/s).

:blink: kay, so normal "older" pc its still usable those 100Mbit lines :)
Nice to know, now that i have ordered 2x 1,5Tb hd's.

There are also quite a few gigabit switches out there that are total garbage and will never do 1000mbit. If you're lucky you can snag a cheap ex business switch off ebay that's far more likely to get your 1000mbit.

So, buy buy buy when cheap old busines hardware?

I achieve an avg. of 40MB/s (megabytes) on my gigabit lan. Sometimes even 60MB/s with a peak of 75MB/s in bursts.

:eek: your so lucky.

With business switches you also get other advantages (if you buy a layer 3 switch you get even more options)

Network termination isn't too hard it's just fiddly and will take a bit of practice before your terminations look like the ones in the shops.

your stack of network gear must look similar to mine...

https://pic.armedcats.net/m/m4/m4v1s/2009/01/09/netstack.png

maybe we should start a club :p

I just run a 10/100 switch at home because I have no real need for gigabit

IMG_1298.jpg

Cisco 1803 (SDSL port not in use, 640mb ram 256mb flash) connected to a WRT54GSv4 running dd-wrt acting as a wireless AP only.

There is a shitty motorolla surfboard 4100 as well not in the picture,

Code:
CISCO_1803#show version
Cisco IOS Software, C180X Software (C180X-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(15)XY2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2008 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 26-Mar-08 18:19 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)YH5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

CISCO_1803 uptime is 16 minutes
System returned to ROM by reload at 05:05:56 UTC Sun Jan 11 2009
System restarted at 14:55:41 EST Sun Jan 11 2009
System image file is "flash:c180x-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.XY2.bin"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
export@cisco.com.

Cisco 1803 (MPC8500) processor (revision 0x300) with 589824K/65536K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FHK092811UQ, with hardware revision 0000

1 DSL controller
9 FastEthernet interfaces
1 ISDN Basic Rate interface
250880K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

I really need to install a newer IOS, if anyone out there has a CCO please PM me.

Officially this router only supports 384mb but I had a spare 512mb stick lying around so I wacked it in and it works perfectly,

Last edited:
I just run a 10/100 switch at home because I have no real need for gigabit

IMG_1298.jpg

Cisco 1803 (SDSL port not in use, 640mb ram 256mb flash) connected to a WRT54GSv4 running dd-wrt acting as a wireless AP only.

There is a shitty motorolla surfboard 4100 as well not in the picture,

Code:
CISCO_1803#show version
Cisco IOS Software, C180X Software (C180X-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(15)XY2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2008 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 26-Mar-08 18:19 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)YH5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

CISCO_1803 uptime is 16 minutes
System returned to ROM by reload at 05:05:56 UTC Sun Jan 11 2009
System restarted at 14:55:41 EST Sun Jan 11 2009
System image file is "flash:c180x-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.XY2.bin"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
export@cisco.com.

Cisco 1803 (MPC8500) processor (revision 0x300) with 589824K/65536K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FHK092811UQ, with hardware revision 0000

1 DSL controller
9 FastEthernet interfaces
1 ISDN Basic Rate interface
250880K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

I really need to install a newer IOS, if anyone out there has a CCO please PM me.

Officially this router only supports 384mb but I had a spare 512mb stick lying around so I wacked it in and it works perfectly,
I have a cheap Dlink gigE switch without the fancy Cisco stuff...nobody ever needs speed, but at prices nowadays, why not? Why have a Cisco 1803 at home at all :|