Ownership Verified: Giggles: altoid's 2004 Miata

You don't need mudflaps to protect the underbody... They're for the paint on the side of the car.

The mud flaps aren't going anywhere ? the car looks a gabazillion times better with them, as they provide the much needed continuity of the body's bottom line.

Coincidentally, this is also why I need a front lip of some sort, but that'll wait a bit. The necessary mods are expensive enough that I'm not rushing into the wants just yet.

Congrats!

The car needs some love, but it doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary:

• timing belt
  • related seals
  • coolant top-off
  • transmission flush
  • clutch

ETA on getting the car back: end of the week, optimistically. Just in time for the weekend, woo!

After the above is handled, I shall proceed with figuring out my seat situation, getting a new top, and slappin' in a roll bar.

Edit: Also ordered this, because reasons.

Last edited:
OK, honest question: is it really necessary?

I've heard a lot of times that actually depressing the clutch before starting is good because reduces strain in the starter motor...

You could do what I've done (also, because: reasons) and just reach your foot around the pedal to hit the switch yourself!

As for strain in the starter motor, I'd expect that the added strain of a decoupled trans would be pretty negligible compared to overcoming the compression of the engine. Whether the damage to the thrust bearing/engine is more than that by not bypassing the switch, I can't say.

New top ordered: Robbins, tan, canvas, glass window, defroster, zipperless. To be installed by myself (+ BlaRo) (+ thedguy). We'll see how that goes...

When is this top install planned? I'm sure all of us are busy this weekend, we can either try this at my place, or I'm sure I can find a house in the Azusa area that will let us use that area for work space

The top arrived, and my car should be ready tomorrow, meaning I can pick 'er up on Friday morning and enjoy my Saturday San Diego daycation with the lady in a drop-cop. :cool:

When is this top install planned? I'm sure all of us are busy this weekend, we can either try this at my place, or I'm sure I can find a house in the Azusa area that will let us use that area for work space

Honestly, I'm not sure yet. Blake offered to help on Sunday, but I'm not sure what my schedule will be.

What are you, Don Corleone?

The car needs some love, but it doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary:

• timing belt
  • related seals
  • coolant top-off
  • transmission flush
  • clutch

ETA on getting the car back: end of the week, optimistically. Just in time for the weekend, woo!

After the above is handled, I shall proceed with figuring out my seat situation, getting a new top, and slappin' in a roll bar.

Edit: Also ordered this, because reasons.
Clutch at 112k? Who the hell drove it before you? Also, I suggest replacing all of the fluids.

The car is ready and pickup has been arranged for tomorrow morning. I'm even getting a ride from my roommate!

Clutch at 112k? Who the hell drove it before you? Also, I suggest replacing all of the fluids.

Yes, no fucking idea, and done.

Brief update time:

• The car drives like a dream now. I can feel the new clutch, and that's a good thing. (I also suck less at rowing the gears myself, which is nice.)
  • Took the lady to San Diego for the day on Saturday ? I now don't understand why one wouldn't want to have a convertible in SoCal. (I now also own a hat and a tube of sunscreen.)
  • The new top (OEM replacement: tan, canvas, glass, defroster, zipperless) arrived (as previously mentioned), but I haven't installed it yet because...
  • ...I'm probably getting a roll bar in very near future, and it may be simpler to just let the shop swap the top while installing the bar.
  • Also, I definitely need new seats, and am considering a set of Exige replicas This might get bundled with the top and roll bar install. Hoping I can sit-test these (and possibly others) at a meet I plan on attending this weekend.

Also also, I'm at work, wishing I were driving.

I am planning on going to Miatas at Mazda Raceway in September. Are you going to go?

I am planning on going to Miatas at Mazda Raceway in September. Are you going to go?

Yeah, though I was late to register for track time, so I'll just be paradin'. I'll probably caravan up with BlaRo, thedguy, and the KINOD crew early on Friday, and back down on Sunday.