Gluten Free Food

Devon

Car(s)
2008 MY09 Subaru Impreza RX
Does anyone here suffer from Coeliac Disease and therefore has to live on a Gluten Free diet?

Any recipes or tips would be great. Especially on ingredients/foods that should be avoided, apart from the obvious.

I don't have Coeliac's but my symptoms are similar and they can't figure out what is wrong <_<

I can't give you anything that isn't obvious because I just try to avoid most foods other than the ones I know I can handle, but I'll be watching this.

Hey Devon - my girlfriend went undiagnosed for a long time before they finally figured out it was celiac, at which point her body was so screwed up she has to go way beyond gluten free to be semi-functional. After lots of trial and error, she's finally settled on the specific carbohydrate diet - it goes beyond gluten free, but I think it'd be a good start for anyone looking to do some healing from the impacts of undiagnosed celiac.

I'd recommend you look at two books - one, Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall, and a new one, Gut and Psychology Syndrome by Natasha Campbell-McBride. They're both available through amazon, and will give you a really good idea about what to look for in foods to best heal and support the intestines, rather than just telling you to avoid things with wheat, etc.

^ Thanks, I'll check those books out. :)

I'd like to help you if I can

I'm sure you already know that, but basically what you MUST AVOID is everything made from wheat, cookies, biscuits (whatever you call it), and unfortunately beer (apart from Carlsberg and Saxon but that depends on the market)

I have some lists of gluten-free products, but there are mostly products which are being sold here, and not in Australia

the best thing to do is always read what it says on a product's label or contact your nearest celiac-disease association

(sorry, not very helpful post:mrgreen: )

My friend had that. i know they make gluten free beer but everything gluten free tastes like not goodness

My friend had that. i know they make gluten free beer but everything gluten free tastes like not goodness

not true, you just have to search better, there are some delicious products but they're way too expensive

My wife has either Celiac or a pretty bad wheat/gluten allergy. I'll try to get a few of her recipes for you.

Another thing to avoid, besides wheat, is barley. It has a pretty high gluten content. If you do some study you can find other grains that will substitute for wheat. I know my wife uses a lot of rice flour, or a blend with other flours. I think quinoa is one. Some people use tapioca flour but sometimes it gives things a weird rubbery texture.

I'll see if I can get some more info from my wife.

not true, you just have to search better, there are some delicious products but they're way too expensive

Nono, we have veg and health food buffets and I've had plenty of gluten free. It will never be as tasty as its gluten rich counterparts. Unless it was a dish that naturally doesnt have any, which doesn't count. like steak.

Nono, we have veg and health food buffets and I've had plenty of gluten free. It will never be as tasty as its gluten rich counterparts. Unless it was a dish that naturally doesnt have any, which doesn't count. like steak.

have you tried Dr. Schar products? they're fine, but that's just me