GM Considering Sale of Opel to Peugeot

jack_christie

Forum Addict
Not surprised. I've been viewing Peugeots as simply Vauxhalls with factory-fit cowardice for years. They would be a good match for each other.

By now Peugeot is actually better than Opel. Opel is just soulless by now, and I think GM is to blame for that. They had some nice concepts but nothing ever happened, instead they chugged out boring shit boxes. Maybe Peugeot can give them some spirit back... Start with the Opel GT comeback please, then a Manta and a Calibra.

Reactions: MWF
Start with the Opel GT comeback please, then a Manta and a Calibra.

Hurr Durr sports aren't gonna sell, something something BRZ

Start with the Opel GT comeback please Small Crossover, then a Manta 5-seat Crossover and a Calibra. 7-seater MPV

I assume that they would like to make some money out of their purchase :p

great, yet another rebranded partner/berlingo/express

somehow, i hate those even more than SUVs

I wonder what this would mean for Buick...

Great. Two mostly sub-par carmakers thrown together - what could possibly go wrong. Actually not much I think.. The levels of want for either brand will stay very limited.

I wonder what this would mean for Buick...

Either they'll now get Pug engines and stick around being licensed out as part of the deal, or Buick will go the way of many GM brands. I sorta doubt the latter though since Buick of all things, mostly the Opel-rebadges even, has been selling solid numbers from what I've seen and heard.

Great. Two mostly sub-par carmakers thrown together - what could possibly go wrong. Actually not much I think.. The levels of want for either brand will stay very limited.

The new management at Pug seems to be turning things around. Financially they are doing better.. Can't do much worse than what GM has been doing at Opel.

By now Peugeot is actually better than Opel. Opel is just soulless by now, and I think GM is to blame for that. They had some nice concepts but nothing ever happened, instead they chugged out boring shit boxes. Maybe Peugeot can give them some spirit back... Start with the Opel GT comeback please, then a Manta and a Calibra.

Considering what Peugeot did to Citroen after acquiring them, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Either they'll now get Pug engines and stick around being licensed out as part of the deal, or Buick will go the way of many GM brands. I sorta doubt the latter though since Buick of all things, mostly the Opel-rebadges even, has been selling solid numbers from what I've seen and heard.

GM sells around 200k Buicks a year in the US, and around a 1 million a year in China. I don't see them shutting down the brand.

True, but so far they did financial magic which made Buick have almost no R&D cost and Opel a lot of R&D cost......this would then not be an option any more.

Opel is actually not doing as bad as I thought, they are on an upwards trend with the small hatchbacks and crossovers.....interesting point to think about an acquisition, especially with Brexit looming over Vauxhall.
I mean, Opel had operative losses of 257 Million USD in 2016, which is 556 Million USD less than 2015.....plus, don't forget, GM is the third largest shareholder (7%, 420 Million USD in 2012) (nope they fucked off after Dongfeng joined) in PSA after the Peugeot family and Dongfeng (14%).

Shared Platforms already exist (Opel Grandland X/Peugeot 3008, Corsa/208).

In my opionion, PSA wants Opel for one simple reason. Growth. They couldn't increase their sales volume and got overtaken by Renault (SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!). Buying another company that does the same cars could aid them in growing, which in turn means easier distribuition of R&D cost and more pressure on suppliers.

Very strange business situation there indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
great, yet another rebranded partner/berlingo/express

somehow, i hate those even more than SUVs

I know what you mean - people who drive SUV at least drive a bit, people who drive a Citroen Berlingo are vegan hippies going to church every sunday not knowing what an indicator is or what the white lines on the tarmac are for.

Hm, does this mean GM will not sell any cars in Europe anymore? Or will we get Chevrolet back in a true US GM way, not just an Opel copy? This could be good.

Is there really that much of a difference between for instance a 208/Corsa/Fiesta/Polo or a 308/Astra/Focus/Golf?

d5s_4159-edit.jpg

I know what you mean - people who drive SUV at least drive a bit, people who drive a Citroen Berlingo are vegan hippies going to church every sunday not knowing what an indicator is or what the white lines on the tarmac are for.

they're not hippies
they're people who don't care about cars, who don't care about driving and who don't care what image they portray to the outside world

basically they're the kind of people who wear socks in sandals

True. Hippies can't even afford a car or a driver's license.