GM investing $890M in next-gen small block V8s

This was just in everyday commute mode, are you sure you we'rent on some long distance burn? :D Anyway its still impressive. Keep warming the earth people!

speaking off witch, It was fucking cold out today, they are predicting only +1? celsius tonight......and its bloody May!

Anyone have a spare (full) oiltanker we can set fire to? because this global warming thing aint working.........

On the contrary, extreme weather shows that the model is working. That's why it's called climate change ;)

Last edited:
You mean the model written up by paranoid ecorelogious 'climatologists' who actualy have the pretention and naitivity to think they can devise a model based on 50 years off measuring for a planet witch has been going through constant climate changes ever since its existence? that model? :rofl: :rofl:

believe what you want.......I will do the same.

What the hell is all the bitching about? The LS is a legendary engine, like the Jaguar V12, the Porsche flat 6, or the Ferrari flat-plane V8. Why wouldn't they advance the line, Europeans can think what they want. The fact is this is America, our gas is cheaper, we're not taxed on CO2 or displacement, we don't want to sit at five grand doing 80 down the highway, and we don't need to deal with the inconvenience of a diesel.

Plus anyone who has heard a C6.R in person knows exactly why the LS engine will always have a place in GM cars.

The fact is this is America, our gas is cheaper, we're not taxed on CO2 or displacement, we don't want to sit at five grand doing 80 down the highway

Dear europe and japan, your engines really do do this. High RPM's are annoying, cut it out.

They are. Doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.

A LS motor has the capability to get better gas mileage than my J32.

My puny 1.4 revs at 3krpm at 140kph/87mph. Your point is?

Most Americans like to be at about 1,300 rpms down the highway.

Cruising at 80mph down the autobahn, my Mercedes E220 CDI does about 50mpg, and is perfectly silent. Driving at that sort of speed constantly, nearly every car will be economical, because you don't need a lot of power to do that. And if you put your foot down and go properly fast, nearly every engine starts to drink, especially so a big petrol V8. The good thing about the small turbo-diesel engines we have in Europe is that they stay reasonably economical even if you start hammering them down the autobahn. Again, my Merc does 30 mpg even when maxed out at about 135 mph.

Back to topic: The GM LS V8 is a great engine, and I'm happy to see it lives on. But I just don't think it's the best engine ever, and I also don't see a future for it in the mainstream or super-sportscar market. For that, there are more modern, more economical and all in all better alternatives. Automotive engineering has indeed moved on in the last five decades. As a musclecar engine, it still fulfils it's purpose though.

Last edited:
Dear europe and japan, your engines really do do this. High RPM's are annoying, cut it out.

Have you heard about this ingenous new device called a gearbox?

Seriously... who needs a petrol V8 for cruising on the highway, if a diesel V6 can do the same and be a lot more fuel efficient at the same time? Even the sound of modern diesels isn't bad anymore. Different but not bad. Kind of angry and grumpy. I like it.

Of course I see the greatness of a petrol V8 and can understand the temptation. And surely that's the engine of choice for the likes of a Corvette or Camaro, no doubt about that. But hey, in a limousine? Or a truck? Come on, that is obscene and you know it.

Investing so much money into an engine for niche cars? That's like putting millions into developing an alternative to windscreen wipers: Wasted money.

GM clearly hasn't learned their lesson yet. No one in their right mind can justify a petrol V8 in mass market cars anymore. Not even in "Oh my God, we just ruined the Mississipi Delta for cheap fuel prices"-America. The alternatives are much more convincing. That's why hardly anyone here buys V8's anymore.

Sad in a way, yes. But their end doesn't mean the end of fun with driving cars. Defending them is defending a lifestyle, a philosophy maybe. But not a technical necessity. Not anymore.

Last edited:
For that, there are more modern, more economical and all in all better alternatives. Automotive engineering has indeed moved on in the last five decades. As a musclecar engine, it still fulfils it's purpose though.

Please explain how the LSx is not modern. Or do I need to prove you wrong again?

By the way OHC came out in the '20s.

Last edited:

Seriously... who needs a petrol V8 for cruising on the highway, if a diesel V6 can do the same and be a lot more fuel efficient at the same time? Even the sound of modern diesels isn't bad anymore. Different but not bad. Kind of angry and grumpy. I like it.

Of course I see the greatness of a petrol V8 and can understand the temptation. And surely that's the engine of choice for the likes of a Corvette or Camaro, no doubt about that. But hey, in a limousine? Or a truck? Come on, that is obscene and you know it.

Investing so much money into an engine for niche cars? That's like putting millions into developing an alternative to windscreen wipers: Wasted money.

GM clearly hasn't learned their lesson yet. No one in their right mind can justify a petrol V8 in mass market cars anymore. Not even in "Oh my God, we just ruined the Mississipi Delta for cheap fuel prices"-America. The alternatives are much more convincing. That's why hardly anyone here buys V8's anymore.

Sad in a way, yes. But their end doesn't mean the end of fun with driving cars. Defending them is defending a lifestyle, a philosophy maybe. But not a technical necessity. Not anymore.

Do I really need to list the amount of products in the marketplace that use V8s?

Do I really need to list the amount of products in the marketplace that use V8s?

I suppose you don't understand that I simply and completely deny the technical necessity of V8's in mass market cars (no matter if they're modern engines or not) and therefore consider it an alternative only for niche cars. If you're referring to the market realities in the USA -- which I suppose you do --, you are referring to a warped reality, which doesn't reflect what's actually going on in the rest of the car world.

Sooner or later, though, there will have to be an awakening. You already got a warning shot but seem to have forgotten it already.

Last edited:
Reactions: AiR
With stock tires, thats 84mph.

Oh yea, its rolling on 18s.

what_up_gangsta-1794.gif

(want me to be honest with you? I got the car like that, and never thought of the effect the aftermarket wheels would have on the RPM... HURR!)

((Also, you have to admit the miatas gearing is ridiculous even beforehand))

you are referring to a warped reality, which doesn't reflect what's actually going on in the rest of the car world.

Dont make us kill thousands of civilians in terrible bombings raids again, which we are totally not sorry for. :p

Last edited: