Autoblog: GM Performance Parts to offer new Camaro Body

devil500

Car(s)
'07 VW Rabbit 2.5 (Golf) MKV, PCR MXK8 Rotax Max
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/20/gm-performance-parts-to-offer-new-camaro-body-in-white/
x10ar_ch009-1280_580op.jpg

Since automotive sales are in the toilet and the sour taste of high gas prices still lingers, the unfortunate timing of General Motors' long-awaited Chevy Camaro has the armchair quarterbacks fervently debating its long-term viability. This, despite the fact that upon its release the Camaro will offer a little something for almost everyone throughout its various trim levels, a courageous attempt by GM to boost the iconic car's sales. However, many devoted Camaro enthusiasts will still be left out in the cold. This in part due to the vehicle's starting price as well as the many additional luxuries that drag down the Camaro's power-to-weight ratio. No one wants to pay MSRP for a vehicle they intend to strip. That's why GM Performance Parts will be offering a 2010 Chevrolet Camaro body in white. As a result, budget Camaro racers won't have to wait 10 years for a discounted used chassis and large race teams won't necessarily break the bank building a replacement when the driver inevitably stuffs the wall.

The Camaro BIW package will be a full body assembly structure available through GM Peformance Parts for $7,000 beginning in the first quarter of 2009. The chassis will not contain a VIN number, so there will be no means for street registration, as the body in white is reserved for race teams only. An application must be submitted to GM Performance Parts for approval before any transaction occurs. Follow the jump to see the press release in full.

For $7,000 they'll sell you a Camaro Chassis for race use only not bad base for a kick as track car I'd say. :cool:

I doubt that it will improve their overall sales by much.

That's not what this is about. This is, my God, GM reaching out to enthusiasts. That's something I didn't think I'd ever write. I really hope they decide to offer a stripped-down road legal version though.

Brilliant! I wonder what teams in what race series' are going to go to a Camaro, though?

If you are going to extensively modify it not a bad place to start!!

Chassis $10,000
Cage $5,000
Wheels/Tyres $10,000
Brakes $15,000
Suspension $15,000
Comp spec LS2 $15,000
Hollinger $20,000
Misc.$15,000
=A very expensive but incredibly fast tarmac rally car!! Although it can't be registered :(

Damn...that's the ultimate blank canvas to start with. I can't even begin to think of the possibilities. :twisted:

Since automotive sales are in the toilet and the sour taste of high gas prices still lingers...

Still moaning about high gas prices? That is like, so last month.

For $7,000 they'll sell you a Camaro Chassis for race use only not bad base for a kick as track car I'd say. :cool:

But it's HUUUUUUGE!

BTW I think they're (someone's) bringing it to Koni Challenge, but I only heard that through word of mouth so don't quote me.

Hmmm... Interestingly, if you buy this chassis from GM and then build up the car from new parts, you *can* register it in Texas as a replica or homebuilt car - and the state will issue you a VIN number. :D

But couldn't this be treated as DIY kitcar, and hence apply the kit car rule like with Caterhams and Atoms?

See I'm not a Nascar fan, but this is how Nascar should be they get a bare chassis from the manufacturer and build up the car from there..

I hope to see a few of the cars in ALMS and Speed World Challenge should be interesting and helpful to smaller teams as such a chassis is cheaper the buying and stripping a full production car.

Brilliant! I wonder what teams in what race series' are going to go to a Camaro, though?
BTW I think they're (someone's) bringing it to Koni Challenge, but I only heard that through word of mouth so don't quote me.
That's the rumor I've heard. If Dodge got into it (unlikely now I know) it would be like modern Trans Am racing. Now that's something to dream about.

Hmmm... Interestingly, if you buy this chassis from GM and then build up the car from new parts, you *can* register it in Texas as a replica or homebuilt car - and the state will issue you a VIN number. :D
I just looked over some paperwork I've got (I need to pursue a homebuilt/salvage title to register my Yamaha) and I think the same thing could be legal in Kansas. Save all the receipts, take lots of pictures and make sure it's legal by the KHP. My god, I think it could work :D.

That's the rumor I've heard. If Dodge got into it (unlikely now I know) it would be like modern Trans Am racing. Now that's something to dream about.

I dunno. Koni Challenge cars don't cost that much. Teams are selling their 2008 cars for about 20-40 grand right now, and running costs aren't that bad because the parts are all lower-end racing bits which are pretty darn cheap.

That's interesting, to say the least.
At last, a sign of intelligence from GM.

I dunno. Koni Challenge cars don't cost that much. Teams are selling their 2008 cars for about 20-40 grand right now, and running costs aren't that bad because the parts are all lower-end racing bits which are pretty darn cheap.
What are you saying, that people would rather campaign used cars? Or that a brand new $7,000 chassis is cost prohibitive? I'm not getting on you, I just want to clarify.

I think it would be a cost effective approach for some of the teams with larger budgets at least. I'm such a nerd, I almost want to do a complete cost break down for a Koni Challenge spec Camaro now. :lol: I might have to just to keep myself entertained over the holidays.

What are you saying, that people would rather campaign used cars? Or that a brand new $7,000 chassis is cost prohibitive? I'm not getting on you, I just want to clarify.

I think it would be a cost effective approach for some of the teams with larger budgets at least. I'm such a nerd, I almost want to do a complete cost break down for a Koni Challenge spec Camaro now. :lol: I might have to just to keep myself entertained over the holidays.

Well we could have team Final Gear enter haha :p

Well since they won't have a VIN number issued it won't increase their car sales at all but manufacturers make a higher margins on parts then complete vehicle sales anyway.

This will be great for getting the Camaro back into racing and making it a household name again.

I also see it having an incremental effect on GM's other performance parts business. They will get more incremental sales from people buying various performance engines and other components.

Yeah I could do the same in Virginia and I am pretty sure you can also do it in Connecticut. In Connecticut IIRC the vehicle must be towed to one of the approved inspection stations around the state and, "no single wheel may touch a public road before the inspection is completed." They basically force you to flatbed the car to an inspection site and offload it right in front of the inspector.

I just looked over some paperwork I've got (I need to pursue a homebuilt/salvage title to register my Yamaha) and I think the same thing could be legal in Kansas. Save all the receipts, take lots of pictures and make sure it's legal by the KHP. My god, I think it could work :D.

I think most states will let you register this as kit or home built car although some will be more difficult then others.

As long as you use a drive line with all the proper emissions components in place you should be ok in most states.