"God Bless America"????????

So to send a question back to you, would you be less likely to vote for a president who didn't believe in God?
I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I'd like to chime in. I'd actually say I'd be more likely to vote for an atheist (not a real 'preachy' one, just an open one). I'm just sick of these evangelical conservatives pushing their moral ideals on the populace. Nothing against you good old fiscal conservatives, I wish there were more of you :lol:.

This reminds me of Machiavelli's, "The Prince" ... and I can't find my copy. But there is something in there about how, whether or not they are religious, it's good for a politician to be seen going to church, saying, "God Bless X" etc etc. Shows people you have faith in something larger than yourself. Man, I'm going to have to go buy that again.

Also, this is a little off-topic, but I was just thinking of how few "family men(/women)" we see in politics here. It's like you have to have a spouse and kids to get public office.

Funny thing is that the most religious president in recent memory was Jimmy Carter. Go figure.

It'd be more fun to see the first atheist president than the first black one. More people would be left sputtering.

No one has really explained what the presidents quotes are supposed to really mean or what they're supposed to achieve - which is what this topic is about.

"God save America"...........Saving from what? Why does it need saving? How is this 'god' supposed to achieve this? Why didn't the president (or previous presidents/politicians who also say this phrase) 'save' it himself as he is the one in charge?

The same questions apply to "God bless American" and also "Let us pray" - this was for the election, why would anyone need to pray? Both candidates were 'good' christians and one of these was getting elected so it shouldn't have made a difference which one got in from a religious point of view. Or is one of them a big 'sinner'?

His quotes have made him the laughing stock of all the people in my social network and many other Australians too and I'm curious to know the logic (or lack of) behind the quotes.

No one has really explained what the presidents quotes are supposed to really mean or what they're supposed to achieve - which is what this topic is about.

"God save America"...........Saving from what? Why does it need saving? How is this 'god' supposed to achieve this? Why didn't the president (or previous presidents/politicians who also say this phrase) 'save' it himself as he is the one in charge?

The same questions apply to "God bless American" and also "Let us pray" - this was for the election, why would anyone need to pray? Both candidates were 'good' christians and one of these was getting elected so it shouldn't have made a difference which one got in from a religious point of view. Or is one of them a big 'sinner'?

His quotes have made him the laughing stock of all the people in my social network and many other Australians too and I'm curious to know the logic (or lack of) behind the quotes.

You're questioning religion itself there. Those questions are impossible to answer

Well if there really were intelligent scientific Christians in existence, I'm sure they would have no problem explaining it.....

They're free to say whatever they want, but it is annoying. I don't give damn if they are religious or not, and neither should any reasonable voter/watcher. It's in their constitution that church shouldn't interfere with state. Why then do so many vote with their faith?