Going green: wich car is greener... I mean, best?

Going green: wich car is greener... I mean, best?

• Total voters

Pedrocas

9gag reposting troll
Car(s)
Citroen ZX 1.4i Tonic
So, a friend of mine is going to buy a new car for the first time and he's going for a hybrid. His current car is a '95 Punto with the 1.2 liter engine, he's doing 100km per day for the past 4 years, so now that he's able to buy a brand new car, he wants something economical, with automatic gears, enough room space for 4, 5 doors, a decent boot and comfy for long journeys. I've told him to buy a diesel, but truth be told, a good diesel car is more expensive to buy than any one of these hybrids here in Portugal. He's got 30.000 euros to spent + 1.500 euros from the Punto (it's the portuguese version of cash for clunkers).

What to choose:

Toyota Prius

Honda Civic Hybrid

Honda Insight

Overall, wich one is better? Remember, this car is going to make 100km per day, plus my friend's going to keep it for at least 10 years.

Last edited:
Especially when planning to use it for 10+ years, get a small displacement turbocharged diesel (BlueMotion VW or something like that) instead of a hybrid. Hybrids only make sense where used mostly in city traffic, which 100km/day indicate will not be the case and no one knows how long the batteries will hold up. I guess a very expensive replacement will be in order after a few years.

Hybrids and longevity don't mix - just for starters, the batteries die. I'd get a diesel. more expensive initially, maybe, but it will save money in the long run, on both fuel and maintenance. I don't know what's available over there so I don't have any specific recommendations.

Also, as Dr_Grip said, Hybrids are best in the city. They don't get the same amazing economy on the highway.

A Leon 1.9TDI Ecomotive is about 26k? with some equipment. A Prius is over 29k?. I fail at finding prices at volkswagen.pt, but a Golf Bluemotion should be a bit more expensive than the Leon, a lot less expensive than the Prius (a bit less expensive if opting for the DSG).

Last edited:
If you live in Europe, there is no better option than a small diesel hatch.

Any small VAG TDI hatch will do the job perfectly. Say no to hybrids! :p

Last edited:
Of those three, the Civic. It looks the least ridiculous.

Diesel Skoda? Diesel Focus? These should be cheap enough, and are going to be better in the long run than a hybrid, especially if that's highway mileage.

Hammerhead iThrust. :p

As others have stated hybrids aren't freeway queens. The benefit over a petrol engine would be minimal. Suggest a small Diesel or more fuel efficient petrol alternative.

get a small displacement turbocharged diesel (BlueMotion VW or something like that)
I'd get a diesel.
A Leon 1.9TDI Ecomotive is about 26k?
a small diesel hatch.
ANY diesel. Just not a hybrid.
Any small VAG TDI hatch will do the job perfectly.
Diesel Skoda? Diesel Focus?
^ What they said. Hybrids are for people who want to demonstrate that they are economical, Diesels are for people who actually are.

is vw scirocco tdi in the price range?

you get the sexy looks and practicality well if you buy a german build one not somwhere else

clio?

waterboard him in motoroil until he speaks sence for starters :p

is vw scirocco tdi in the price range?

It might stretch the 31.5k? a bit... and isn't really suitable if you plan to use it with four occupants frequently.

Do a trip to Denmark, pick up an Octavia Greenline Estate for 12795? plus Portugese VAT. For 20500? plus VAT you'd get an Octavia RS Estate TDI DSG...

Last edited:
If I HAD to buy something like that, it would be a BlueMotion Golf. Amazing MPG with a very nice interior.

Anyway, this is my favourite hybrid:

porsche-918-spyder-concept-car-front-view.jpg

:p

Nothing more to add really. I have quite a hatred for hybrids (long list of reasons) and a small car (diesel or even petrol) would be better, imho. Plus the money your friend would save from buying a used Civic over a new hybrid would buy a hell of a lot of gas. However, if he is dead set on a hybrid, then I recommend the Civic.

[YOUTUBE]UCBI0Ps2LmU[/YOUTUBE]