Going green: wich car is greener... I mean, best?

Going green: wich car is greener... I mean, best?

• Total voters
Why not anouther Punto ? :p

Automatic , 85hp , Dacia , and I bet he is going to travel alone most of the time in that 7 seater ...

Oh well it could be worse :lol:

Last edited:
16,5k euro is a hell of a lot of money for a Logan MCV, hasn't narf bought the vastly more sophisticated Octavia for a similar kind of money? The list price of the top spec diesel Logan MCV is less than 13k here. Are there some "special" taxes on cars other than VAT in Portugal?

Also, LOL at rejecting half of the cars on the European market as ugly and then falling in love with a Logan.

This didn't end well. :no: Well, it's his money, and he's the one who has to live with the car every day.

I do unterstand the reasoning. For 30000 bucks i would want a car that does not look like a Mazda 6 and is not as bland as a Ford, too. A really boring estate that's nothing special, but built to last ages for half the money? That's a completely different deal. Maybe narf got himself an Octavia for the same money, but the Octavia is not only smaller, but narf's is also second hand, which once again displays what Dacia is about: a new car for used car money. You could get a used Miata for style and fun on top of it and still have some money left for titties and beer.

And the 4 cyl motor of the Miata probably is pretty miserly on fuel if driven conservatively.

16,5k euro is a hell of a lot of money for a Logan MCV, hasn't narf bought the vastly more sophisticated Octavia for a similar kind of money? The list price of the top spec diesel Logan MCV is less than 13k here. Are there some "special" taxes on cars other than VAT in Portugal?

Also, LOL at rejecting half of the cars on the European market as ugly and then falling in love with a Logan.

I belive there are. For Example here a base BMW 4dr 316i costs 36K ? <_<

Yup, Portugal has some tax on cars. I've been trying to figure out what it is from the European Commission's car price report but it seems to be a sliding scale (tax on a BMW 320D is 40%, while it's 69,6% on a X5 3.0D). Portugese VAT is 20%. Unfortunately, Dacias didnt make the price report at all this year. Generally, Portugal has higher car prices than the european average, but not the highest.

Cheap and expensive Member States
Within the Euro zone, Finland remains the cheapest country in terms of pre-tax prices
(average list prices are 6.7% below the Euro zone average), followed by Greece (as in the
previous year) and Slovenia. The new Member of the Euro zone, Slovakia, takes the fourth
place. Overall, Member States' relative price ranking within the Euro zone remains broadly
unchanged.

In the EU as a whole, the three Member States with currencies that devalued most
dramatically against the Euro became the cheapest countries: In the first place the UK (with
prices 19 % lower than in Finland, the least expensive Euro zone country), followed by
Sweden (10.3 % lower than in Finland) and Poland (8.3% lower than in Finland). It should be
noted that Denmark's currency did not devalue against the Euro in 2008. Therefore
Denmark, which used to be the cheapest country within the EU, now takes fifth place
regardless of the fact that its relative price position compared to the Euro zone remains
broadly unchanged.

Despite enjoying real price decreases, Germany remains the most expensive country in the
Euro zone and became the most expensive country in the EU (with prices 5.5% above the
Euro zone average), followed by France and Belgium which became the second and third
most expansive countries in both the Euro zone and the whole EU. The new position of
Germany and France as most expensive countries not only in the Euro zone but also within
the EU is explained by the fact that prices in formerly high price countries, namely the Czech
Republic and Slovakia, have converged to the middle ground.

http://ec.europa.eu/competition/sectors/motor_vehicles/prices/car_price_report2009.pdf

Last edited:
16,5k euro is a hell of a lot of money for a Logan MCV, hasn't narf bought the vastly more sophisticated Octavia for a similar kind of money?

16900 including all the annoying things like registration, transport, ...

Maybe narf got himself an Octavia for the same money, but the Octavia is not only smaller, but narf's is also second hand

It may be a bit smaller, but it was not second hand.
Besides, he was looking into a friggin' Prius. Compared to that abomination my Octavia estate is a cathedral.

So he decided to go for this:

dacia-logan-mcv-01.jpg

over this:

ford-focus-2008-3-big.jpg

Wow, he's a moron.

Whatever, if he likes that POS so much, he deserves it. Not only will it be a POS to drive that will eat more gas than expected, especially with that miserable engine in a larger car (like Jeremy demonstrated with the Skoda Roomster), it will break down because it's a freakin Dacia.

:lol: He calls Fords "boring" while he's getting a car that makes him look like a taxi driver and will break down and will be miserable to drive for 10 years.

He deserves this kind of punishment for his stupidity.

Last edited:
If I were you, I would never speak to this "friend" ever again. Don't invite him to parties, don't go out to the pub with him, and if he's got hot single female friends, invite him over but only if he brings them, and don't even make eye contact with him, much less acknowledge his existence.

Do it out of principle. ;)

crazy story...sounds like when i go to the supermarket to get something and i end up with something else, most of the time something unhealthy, and i forget what for i went there in the first place.

i'd probably chosen a renault megane. i've recently driven a megane coupe and it was very very good to drive. unlike the new astra which does not only have a steering wheel which you can't grip comfortably, but the steering collumn is apparently made from jelly and the layout of the all the buttons is awful. i even prefer the old astra over the new one.

For those questioning the price tag, yeah, we've got some crazy taxes here in Portugal, aside from the 20% VAT, there's another tax that all buyers must pay over the car's engine size, the bigger the engine is, the more tax it pays. Also, there's a annual road usage tax, there's the fuel tax, there's the eco-friendly tax, that's why the Dacia Logan MCV 1.5 diesel costs 17000 euros and Octavia Break 1.6TDI Greenline costs 21998 euros. There are some cars that pays half of what they cost just in taxes.

My friend loved the Logan MCV. He's 29, newly-wed, just bought a house for him and his fianc?e, he's got a nice job, thought he never cared much about cars in general, so a car is just an appliance for him, just like a fridge or a coffee machine.

We have such a Dacia at the company, with the small petrol engine mind you. I must say it is quite roomy, and the worst thing about ours is the engine, so with a bigger diesel it should be okay-ish. I still wouldn't want to do 100 km a day with it though.

Do I understand the Portugese displacement tax correctly - you pay 8,38 per cubic centimetre over 1250cc? http://impostosobreveiculos.info/legislacao_imposto_automovel_2007.pdf

Based on that you would pay 2750? more taxes for a 1.5l engine (as in the Dacia) over a 1.2l engine. A 2750? rebate on a 1.2TSI takes a lot of driving to spend on extra fuel.

Yes, that's correct. Also, the gas prices right now go from 1,10 euros per liter of diesel to 1,34 euros per liter of 95 octane gasoline. This is one of the reasons why people here prefer diesel engines, it costs less to refuel.

Holy crap.

I take it you don't see too many of these over there:

Dodge-Viper-SRT10.jpg

If I calculated it right, you'd pay nearly 60k in Euros for a Viper just on the displacement tax.

Last edited:
Holy crap.

I take it you don't see too many of these over there:

Dodge-Viper-SRT10.jpg

If I calculated it right, you'd pay nearly 60k in Euros for a Viper just on the displacement tax.

That Dodge's not even sold in Portugal due to the ammount of tax it costs. Here's a more down-to-earth example:

Chrysler 300C 3.0 CRD V6 --- ?62.800,00

BMW 530d (F10) --- ?72.450,00

:(

I kinda like the MCV? Though it needs some dents and all the carpet stripped out and other work-related changes. I like a good honest simple working car.

I grew up in a rural area, driving banged up trucks on dirt roads, so maybe that explains that.