Going green: wich car is greener... I mean, best?

Going green: wich car is greener... I mean, best?

• Total voters
Whatever, if he likes that POS so much, he deserves it. Not only will it be a POS to drive that will eat more gas than expected, especially with that miserable engine in a larger car (like Jeremy demonstrated with the Skoda Roomster), it will break down because it's a freakin Dacia.
Anything said, written or done as an experiment by Jeremy Clarkson and/or TopGear should be taken with a hint of salt.

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2010/03/17/large-salt-pile1.jpg

Now if we look at the data avalible to us from Spritmonitor, the 80 registered drivers of Logan MCV dCi's have averaged 5,57 l/100km over 1.769.710 km, which is quite good for a car of that size. And if pitted against a Ford, I believe the Dacia will break down less because the Dacia is made to be as simple as is humanly possible. I think we should be fair in our critizism of Pedros friends car, the fact that Dacias factory have had to run overtime throught the economic crisis illustrate the fact that many people think Dacia makes cars that are good enough for them. Dacia does not try to make the most comfortable car or the best drivers car, their sole focus is basic transportation, and they're very good at it. The Logan does not have a fancy interior, but the one it has is well put together. It is by no means fast, but it doesnt need to be. It's trumph card is space, which there is no competitor in it's class that can match.

However one thing that would concern me is noise level. Especially doing 100km a day I think that the reportedly high cabin noise would annoy me. Another thing that annoyed testers, and this might have been updated in the 2009 facelift, is that you will have to make do without certain basic features like wipers that turn on automatically when you wash the windscreen, and of the two rear doors, only one gets a wiper. And of course you can forget telescoping steering wheel and that. But hey, the stereo plays MP3, even when mixed together with normal songs.

I fear I'll be getting a title to the like of "Dacia Defender Man" or something now but I think it's important to be fair and stand up for the little guy :D

You're saying a 320d in Denmark costs more than 74,000?? :blink:
Regular list price is ~?76 300 altough they're now running it for "special price" of just ~?65 000.

Last edited:
Anything said, written or done as an experiment by Jeremy Clarkson and/or TopGear should be taken with a hint of salt.
Agreed! Nonetheless, I just wanted to throw into the ring that our 1.4 MPI with 75hp constantly uses 11 to 12 l/100 km (about 20 mpg) exactly because the engine is too weak. You constantly need to thrash it to get anywhere, and it shows at the pump. Might be a different problem for the larger diesel, but the problem exists.

You're saying a 320d in Denmark costs more than 74,000?? :blink:

Yes. Danish car tax works like this:
The first 79000dkk are taxed at 105%, so a car that costs 10600? becomes a 21730? car.
Every kronor beyond that is taxed at 180% :blink:
I'm not 100% sure if the 79000dkk barrier is applied to the price before or after the 25% VAT - doesn't really matter much though :lol:

Agreed! Nonetheless, I just wanted to throw into the ring that our 1.4 MPI with 75hp constantly uses 11 to 12 l/100 km (about 20 mpg) exactly because the engine is too weak. You constantly need to thrash it to get anywhere, and it shows at the pump. Might be a different problem for the larger diesel, but the problem exists.

Most of that can probably be fixed by driving it like a slow car. My Fox with over a ton of weight and 55hp is as massively underpowered as your 1.4MPI yet it does not drink like crazy. Take it slow :lol:

Last edited:
And here I thought Portugal had the most overpriced cars in Europe thanks to our tax system.

Clarkson also recommended the Rover 800 when he reviewed it in the Old Top Gear.

Yes he positively reviewed one of the worst cars in history.

I'd give the Rover 800 some props for not trying to kill you as soon as it meets a corner.

-I didnt bover to read everyving, because it will cause eyecancer to me-

Other Car, take an old Merc or Golf Diesel, fill it up with saladoil, an you are comfy and green, instead of buying one of this pseudo rubbish ecoboxes.

So let me get this straight: someone in Europe where small diesel cars are actually COMMON, doesn't want one? In the US, if you want a small efficient diesel your choices are: Golf.

Let him know how lucky he is that there's such choice in the diesel market!

I think it would be better if you guys read all the thread. My friend changed mind and put aside the buying-a-hybrid idea and ended up buying a Dacia Logan MCV 1.5 diesel. :D

Most of that can probably be fixed by driving it like a slow car. My Fox with over a ton of weight and 55hp is as massively underpowered as your 1.4MPI yet it does not drink like crazy. Take it slow :lol:
Sorry, doesn't work. The engine is just gutless. Even when you're on a lazy 130 km/h-ish Autobahn run, you'll struggle to get it below 10l / 100km. A workmate has an hopelessly old estate Golf III with the 1.6 liter petrol with 75hp, so exactly the same hp (more displacement, but the car is heavier). Power-wise it is a difference like day and night, and the Golf stays below 8 liters whatever you do with it.

Last edited:
My choice for a hybrid: The new Aussie built Toyota Camry:

09HybridCamryReveal-01lr.jpg

Camry Review

Not that the Camry Hybrid is over-endowed with head-turning wow factor. To the untrained eye, it's just another conservative Toyota, which is why this frugal fuel miser is so significant. It doesn't stand out in a crowd, screaming "look at me, I'm a do-gooder, saving the planet" but rather, it's the anonymous benefactor getting on with the job without any self-promoting fuss.

Priced at $48,990, the entry level Camry Hybrid retails at $500 above the entry level Prius, and at $54,990 the i-Tech is $7,100 under the $62,090 Prius i-Tech, which is more sophisticated with its solar panels and stationary ventilation system.

We have one of the petrol versions at my work as a company car and it's very boring to drive, well it's a modern Toyota, but it's alot of car too. The leg room in both back and front especially, I have never seen more leg room in a car. And for $500NZD (About $357USD) above a Prius it's a hell of alot more car.

Id still buy a diesel though, hybrids all still to expensive.

Last edited:
alvfjerds chokolade! Halvfems! Sm?rrebr?d i cowboybukser! Halvtreds!

*hides from McRae*
https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2010/03/16/couch.gif

Gotcha!

R?dgr?d med fl?de.

Reactions: AiR
If you need help, I'll pay you a visit when I'm off to Nordkapp in the summer ;)

At the moment I'm not even able to pronounce it myself, as I underwent jaw surgery yesterday...

My choice for a hybrid: The new Aussie built Toyota Camry:

09HybridCamryReveal-01lr.jpg

Camry Review

We have one of the petrol versions at my work as a company car and it's very boring to drive, well it's a modern Toyota, but it's alot of car too. The leg room in both back and front especially, I have never seen more leg room in a car. And for $500NZD (About $357USD) above a Prius it's a hell of alot more car.

Id still buy a diesel though, hybrids all still to expensive.

If I was going to have a hybrid I would rather have the Fusion. It has much better driving dynamics than the Toyotas (ie, you can stop it).

But the toyota is more fun to drive... just imagine the adrenaline kick when the gas does what it wants :lol: toyota is now a fun brand :D:DD:D

If I was going to have a hybrid I would rather have the Fusion. It has much better driving dynamics than the Toyotas (ie, you can stop it).

From what I hear, the Fusion is pretty good. But the fuel consumption isn't much less than a Mondeo or Mazda6 diesel, which we get here (and NZ I believe), unlike the Fusion. But here the Camry hybrid is actually considerably cheaper than a Prius, around $5000 IIRC.