Going to a taping, but not sure what to expect

furai

Hi everyone,

I'm lucky enough to attend a taping of the show this month, but I've never been (nor do I know anyone who has).

I have a few questions:
-What happens if you go to a taping and its just a large 1-hour special that they're showing that day. Do they tape another episode there that day as well? (eg if I go and they do something like the Bolivia special, will they record another episode there that day?)
-How can I get there from London if I don't have a car and am not too familiar with the area?
-Any other info people might have about the tapings?

Thanks, and sorry if these are questions that have been asked before (I searched but I couldn't find answers).

Hi everyone,

I'm lucky enough to attend a taping of the show this month, but I've never been (nor do I know anyone who has)

Gratz for that!

-What happens if you go to a taping and its just a large 1-hour special that they're showing that day. Do they tape another episode there that day as well? (eg if I go and they do something like the Bolivia special, will they record another episode there that day?)

I think they are going to record another episode that day too. Can someone confirm this?

-How can I get there from London if I don't have a car and am not too familiar with the area?
Take a cab, might be the easiest way for me to think of.

Hi everyone,

I'm lucky enough to attend a taping of the show this month, but I've never been (nor do I know anyone who has).
Is it the 15th? If so I'll see you there :D

They'll record the intro to the Christmas special; whether they'll show the whole film or not I don't know. As it has been confirmed that there will be two Christmas shows, I'm guessing that one will contain the usual studio bits - news, etc, - plus another big film. So while there may not be as much studio stuff as a normal episode, I doubt very much that they would get an audience down there to just film an intro - the Polar Special and (I think?) the Winter Olympics didn't have any audience filming.

-How can I get there from London if I don't have a car and am not too familiar with the area?]
I agree with Vislami. All the train stations nearest to Dunsfold are on the Waterloo-Guildford-Portsmouth line. Guildford is ~10miles away; Godalming and Milford are ~6-7 miles. There are buses, but they're only about once an hour and take pretty much an hour, so not recommended. Without stating the obvious, either prebook a cab to take you back (and risk either hanging around at the end of filming or missing a bit 'cos there is no guarantee when they'll finish) or make sure you have a couple of taxi firms numbers as there is no chance of flagging one down as it really is in the middle of nowhere.

You may be able to cadge a lift back if you get chatting to people, you never know. I may be able to help, but I've only got a two-seater and don't know how the other people I'm going with are getting there.

-Any other info people might have about the tapings?
Wrap up well as it will be FREEZING inside the hangar. They have sorted out the heating somewhat recently, but it's still not brilliant. No bags can be taken in, so make sure your pockets are big enough for wallet/phone/camera etc.

ENJOY!!!

Last edited:
My suggestion is that you fly into Heathrow - rent a 500 Abarth - spend a few days wandering the countryside and then go to the taping followed by a few more days wandering the countryside... All I can say is that it worked for me!

My suggestion is that you fly into Heathrow - rent a 500 Abarth - spend a few days wandering the countryside and then go to the taping followed by a few more days wandering the countryside... All I can say is that it worked for me!

If you just want to wander the countryside fly into Gatwick. You'll be spared years of traffic.

They'll record the intro to the Christmas special; whether they'll show the whole film or not I don't know. As it has been confirmed that there will be two Christmas shows, I'm guessing that one will contain the usual studio bits - news, etc, - plus another big film. So while there may not be as much studio stuff as a normal episode, I doubt very much that they would get an audience down there to just film an intro - the Polar Special and (I think?) the Winter Olympics didn't have any audience filming.

Yeah, neither of those had a studio segment.

Anyhoo, yay to everyone going to a taping! :)

I think I am on 6 now. Getting a bit bored now though, basically standing still for 4 or 5 hours kills my back :(.
It is a bit of a killer,but I'm never going to complain as I enjoy it too much and know I've been really lucky to go. I sit on the floor during a lot of the segments to help - last time I leant backwards and felt my back come up against a pair of legs - looked up to apologise only to find I was leaning against a certain Mr Wilman... :oops:

How do some of you get in so many times? I've been waiting over a year for an opportunity :( Applied for tickets in January so we'll see.
It is pure luck - I've been waiting since it began in 2002 (or whenever they started the original reserve list) and got my first tickets in this year's summer series. (I went before with friends who got tickets.)

When I went to a taping (July 2010). (American without a car in London) I took the Waterloo train to Godaming and got a cab. The cab was parked at the station and it was about 20 pounds each way. I had to call a cab to get a ride back. Give yourself the whole day. You wont be doing anything else that day. Bring cash.
Clarkson is hero worshiped and is completely swarmed.
If you want to get into a shot find one of the areas where they are going to tape at and stand in one of the spots where you expect to be in a shot. If you are a pretty girl they will make sure you are in a shot.
Talk to the gate keeper for the airfield. He is a very interesting man who has a autographed picture of a TON of famous people. He knew the old Stig when no one else knew who it was.

Register at Applause Store. Once your account is activated, get on the Top Gear reserve list (Summer 2011 list is open now). About 6 weeks before the series starts (the date of which you have to guess unless you've managed to talk to Andy during the previous series :p, but it's not that difficult to work out) check your email regularly as they email the reserve list at random with a link that allows you to select a date. It's this bit that is the lucky bit because it's first-come first-served for each date, and some people get their email up to a week earlier than others.

@he-he: Thanks for the explanation. So if you do not hear back from Applause after selecting a date (i.e. within a week) that means you're out for that series? Better luck next time?