Going to america for 3.5 weeks!

Carsightings

So on August 1st I will be flying to Massachusetts and I will be staying in Boston for 2 weeks. After that I will fly to New York and then I will fly to Washington D.C.

In N.Y i will go to:
Central Park,Wall Street,Times Square,Empire State Building,Ground Zero, Fifth Avenue, the Brooklyn Bridge and The Statue Of Liberty.

In Washington D.C I will go to:
the White House, the Washington Monument, the Jefferson Memorial and Library if Congress.

As for Boston I dont know what i am going to see and do yet.

I would also like to do "Car stuff" while I am there. That would include visiting famous/big/impressive dealerships, going to local tracks, going to good areas for carsightings, going to car/plane museums etc.

For now all i need is some help with the car stuff. I have some more questions but i will ask them later on.

I hope you will all be able to help.

thanks.

Boston, NY, and DC?....that's the 9/11 hijacker tour of America.

Re: Going to america for 3.5 weeks!

Carsightings said:
So on August 1st I will be flying to Massachusetts and I will be staying in Boston for 2 weeks. After that I will fly to New York and then I will fly to Washington D.C.

In N.Y i will go to:
Central Park,Wall Street,Times Square,Empire State Building,Ground Zero, Fifth Avenue, the Brooklyn Bridge and The Statue Of Liberty.

In Washington D.C I will go to:
the White House, the Washington Monument, the Jefferson Memorial and Library if Congress.

As for Boston I dont know what i am going to see and do yet.

I would also like to do "Car stuff" while I am there. That would include visiting famous/big/impressive dealerships, going to local tracks, going to good areas for carsightings, going to car/plane museums etc.

For now all i need is some help with the car stuff. I have some more questions but i will ask them later on.

I hope you will all be able to help.

thanks.

Well, since I live around DC, I may suggest if you are interested in plane stuff, that you visit both the air and space museum in DC, and the Udvar-Hazy center in Chantilly, VA (they have a shuttle from DC somewhere). The Udvar-Hazy center is on the grounds of Dulles International Airport, and as a huge hangar full of aircraft that they couldn't fit into the museum in DC.

I don't really know of any car related things to do around here though, its too built up to have tracks anywhere really close, and the dealerships really aren't anything great to visit.

i hear Harlem, NY is pretty cool at 3 in the morning. checking out the dark alley's are a must.
but seriously, there is so much stuff to see/do in NY you could spend a week there alone and only see part of what you were planning on seeing.

If you're going to the White House in DC, make sure you get your backround check done before hand.

I went there with a group of people and one person out of the 10 didn't know, or forgot, to send their information to white house for their backround check. Needless to say they didn't get in. The Secret Service has no problem turning people away/shooting them.... (maybe not the last one.)

Oh and if Bushies home while your there, tours are cancelled.

But it's no big deal, DC is a beautiful city with so much to do, it's impossible to get bored.

I visited Washington, DC in the summer of 2001 right before the 9/11 attacks. I noticed that there were hardly any shopping malls or supermarkets in the city, so remember to bring food! Seriously, I searched a Yellowpages directory but couldn't find any supermarkets! The place was pretty dull, no night life or entertainment districts from what I saw. I hear the place can be quite dangerous too so be careful!

I went to DC before the 9/11 attacks and found it to be quite nice. It all depends on where you go and what you do of course. Yeah I can agree that there are not that many places to eat in DC, but you won't starve.

JoeBlo1 said:
I visited Washington, DC in the summer of 2001 right before the 9/11 attacks. I noticed that there were hardly any shopping malls or supermarkets in the city, so remember to bring food! Seriously, I searched a Yellowpages directory but couldn't find any supermarkets! The place was pretty dull, no night life or entertainment districts from what I saw. I hear the place can be quite dangerous too so be careful!

You have to be in the right places. The Nightclubs really aren't in the federal triangle area, but more out towards Georgetown, and moreso in Arlington/Alexandria (which are in Virginia). There are a number of restaurants around the MCI/Verizon Center, and in Arlington/Alexandria. Most of the younger people in the area live in Northern VA, as opposed to actually living in DC, so the entertainment options for them are closer to where they live.

Most of the dealerships in the DC area are out in the suburbs, because in reality that's where most of the money is. There's a Porsche/Audi dealership in Tyson's Corner (McLean, VA) which has a Carrera GT on display, and a Ferrari/Maserati dealership out near where I live, in Sterling, VA. Neither of these dealerships are close to DC though, and you'd definitely need a car to get to them, they aren't close to Metro stops.

Also, other advice for staying in DC, avoid southeast DC at all costs. It's a very bad place to be after dark.

I have relatives living out in the DC suburbs (near Landover, Maryland) whom we've visited a year before 9/11, and there isn't much to do in that particular part of town. In the heart of DC though, the Smithsonian, Arlington National Cemetary (JFK is buired there) are the places I've been to, but we didn't have enough days to get around as we also drove to and from NYC. Baltimore is a half-hour away or so, and I'd check-out their harbor and seafood, especially the crabcakes. Not sure what else is out in B'more, but it's not sort-of a place I'd call home.

NYC is like a three to four hours drive from DC, and quite a lot to do there. Our three day stay isn't enough, so next time I'd like to spend a week or two there. We stayed in a hotel in suburban New Jersey and catch the bus to the city.

thanks! we will be renting a chevy impala while in boston (hope its the new one). In new york we will use cabs and the sub way and as for D.C we dont really know what to do. should we use public transport or should we rent a car? will parking be a problem?is there heavy traffic?

Carsightings said:
thanks! we will be renting a chevy impala while in boston (hope its the new one). In new york we will use cabs and the sub way and as for D.C we dont really know what to do. should we use public transport or should we rent a car? will parking be a problem?is there heavy traffic?

It really depends on what you plan to do. Parking is difficult, but if you are primarily visiting outside the city, look for hotels in Virginia, but that are still near the metro (subway) line (the hotels may be cheaper too). Traffic isn't great but since it's the nation's capital most traffic is over by 9am (most people head to work at 7am), and doesn't get started terribly again until 3pm.

If you are mostly interested in DC attractions, like the smithsonian, and white house etc, you probably could survive without a car. But if you want to explore more of the area, and venture to areas where expensive cars are more likely, you'll probably need a rental car. Most of Arlington and Alexandria (the two Virginia cities across the river from DC) have metro stops, which are probably the best way to go in to DC.

Carsightings said:
ok thanks!

what about shops for die cast cars? are there any good (cheap) ones around?

That unfortunately I don't know. I'm sure if you google you can find a group with a web presence in the area that could answer that question.

In DC, try the Air and Space Museum like hokie said, it's phenomenal. Probably the best of the Smithsonians, but that's just me.

In Boston, try the Science Museum, Providence Center/John Hancock Center, two skyscrapers with excellent views, and Faneuil Hall, all the usual touristy attractions. Walk the Freedom Trail, which takes about an afternoon and will take you to all the sights from the American Revolution; highly recommended. Plenty of good nightlife, too, and great restaurants. Chinatown may look like a shithole, but there's some good eatin' to be done there. Cambridge is home to MIT and Harvard, two of the best schools in America, and if you want to feel nerdy go ahead and check them out. ;)

Oh, and if you're willing to venture out a bit, there's an excellent car museum in Brookline, a suburb of Boston about 20 mins away. The Larz Anderson Auto Museum. They host shows dedicated to certain types and makes of cars every weekend during the summer; I went to a British Car Show and saw countless E-Types, Lotus Esprits, and even a Mercedes SLR (McLaren is British, after all). Check their website for schedules, admission is about 10 bucks I believe.

Oh, and there's plenty of Porsche and Jaguar dealerships fanning out of the suburbs. There's even an Aston Martin/Lotus/Saleen dealerhip in Waltham, another suburb, if you want to make the trek, with about 5 or 6 DB9s.

I haven't been to Boston in a while, but it's seriously the shit. Boston rocks! 8)