Going to England for a bit and want some advice

About the tone of Britain; try making conversation on the tube. Just see what kind of glares you get by saying 'well howdy there!' in an American accent... :p :lol:

And don't go to a football match. Unless you actually are really into soccer (and don't call it soccer while you're here).

And look into booking ahead for the London Eye; it is most definitely worth it for the views, but (and I don't know about in January) the queues tend to be long and its a few quid cheaper to book ahead online. Another thing to do would be The Shard's View - it is the tallest building in Europe and in the centre of the city. Much higher than the Eye. Again; booking online ahead will save money and time. I haven't actually been up the Shard so can't tell you what its like but as long as its a clear day I can't see any issues.
I don't know if you could see charges from banks/card suppliers because you'd be booking from the US so either ask the UK office to book it for you or maybe try and wait and book when you get to the UK.

There is still a vestige of the lout about - rare but they do congregate at Football matches. You should get in the Spurs vs Palace match OK as Palace are a smaller club - be a home supporter (Spurs) they keep the 'fans' apart.

If you are not into football, noting is quite so boring then sitting trough a football match......last game I got dragged to I got so drunk out of pure boredom I fell asleep :p

I went to a baseball game when last over - that was interesting, I managed to get allocated seats next to an utter (American) arse, I am glad to see that they are not just Brits.

I doubt I will be seeing a sporting event. I don't even go to sporting events in the US unless I'm going with a group of friend (and even then, its only to drink). I did google "How not to be an american in europe" and got some good advice on how to not stick out. What is the english attitude towards Americans? Being shy, I tend to be quiet and considerate of those around me anyway.

There's not really a problem if you're not loud, and you don't get disgruntled by our lack of happiness.

I know quite a few American students here, and they all love it, just takes a bit of getting used to, as the 'have a nice day' culture does not exist at all.

Get used to the excessive use of 'Sorry' and 'Thanks'. Brits use 'Thanks' as a comma and 'Sorry' as a full stop.

:p

Also the phrases 'how are you?' and 'alright?' are often used as a standard greetings. As in they're not actually interested in how you are. :lol:

You'll love it I promise!

I doubt I will be seeing a sporting event. I don't even go to sporting events in the US unless I'm going with a group of friend (and even then, its only to drink).

I did google "How not to be an american in europe" and got some good advice on how to not stick out.

What is the english attitude towards Americans?

Ah, pretty good now I reckon.

Being shy, I tend to be quiet and considerate of those around me anyway.

You'll be fine then, people who live in London don't like noisy types much, on account of there being 8 million of us. (Yeah, it's quite big.)

Don't expect to meet any actual Londoners though, it's thought that up to 25% of the people in London are from outside the country. Even English folk you may meet, may not be from London but just working here.

You are from San Francisco, which is pretty a cosmopolitan city, so you should be used to lots of foreign languages spoken. (The Met Police say that they have to deal with about 200 languages, when dealing with victims, witnesses or suspects.)

BTW, bring cold & wet weather gear, it is winter here, 8C and lots of wind & rain.

:smile:

Ah, pretty good now I reckon.

You'll be fine then, people who live in London don't like noisy types much, on account of there being 8 million of us. (Yeah, it's quite big.)

Don't expect to meet any actual Londoners though, it's thought that up to 25% of the people in London are from outside the country. Even English folk you may meet, may not be from London but just working here.

You are from San Francisco, which is pretty a cosmopolitan city, so you should be used to lots of foreign languages spoken. (The Met Police say that they have to deal with about 200 languages, when dealing with victims, witnesses or suspects.)

BTW, bring cold & wet weather gear, it is winter here, 8C and lots of wind & rain.

:smile:

Sweet. I'm really looking forward to going to England! Its a bit colder than SF, but its nothing I'm not used to growing up in the southern USA. So here goes! :D