Going to Germany and Switzerland - ideas

BTM5

Im planning a trip to Switzerland in March and ill be flying to Frankfurt and drive to Geneva (Geneva Motor Show), and I wanted some ideas for a place to visit.
I have already decided to go to both Merc and Porsche museum in Stuttgart also BMW in M?nchen. Then there is Neuschwanstein Castle and Lake Constance/Bodensee.

And if anyone knows of good wine then they can share that as well. My father loves red wine and it will be his birthday a week or so after ill be back.

So yeah, if anyone has any ideas of a good place to visit then please point out this place. Preferably in Baden-W?rttemberg and on the way to and from M?nchen.

The Technik Museums in Sinsheim and Speyer are well worth a visit, if you have a day to spare. Lots of automotive exhibits, and planes as well (Concorde AND Tu-144!). Both are located near Mannheim and thus do not require a detour.

Last edited:
The German Museum in Munich is the world's largest museum of technology and science*. But it?s quite some time-killer ... not some little 2 hour walk. At least half a day if you want a decent overview ...

* shamlessly stolen from -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsches_Museum

Deutsches Museum? Yes, also a great idea. But make that a whole day. Seriously.

I am intruiged to advise to cancel Neuschwanstein from the schedule, but with all the car and technology related stuff, it's actually quite a nice change of pace, I guess. :D

When you are in Stuttgart anyway you should pay the Meilenwerk in Boeblingen a visit. It's situated between the main train station of Boeblingen and the Mercedes-Benz factory in Sindelfingen.

The Meilenwerk isn't really big, but there are some really nice cars on display, some vintage cars and a lot of exotics, e.g. the Artega. There is a Lamborghini and Maserati dealership inside the Meilenwerk, too. And a live sized model of a F-104 Starfighter.

thanks for all of the suggestions, I will be going to the castle cause only cars for the whole trip is well ..... boring plus my friend is an exchange student in Konstanz ... I think my sister will not be happy about that

will do

and Cobol74.... duh its Deutschland.

What goes with cars? ... Youre right, alcohol .... Germans...gotta love them

Oh, one more car museum comes to my mind: The Automuseum Busch, according to its own description the "most beautiful private car collection in Germany", in Wolfegg has lots of vintage cars, and quite a lot of them are not your average Lamborati Fasterossa. Personally I liked the collection very much.
If you're going from Munich to Lake Constance, it's not too far a detour: about 15 or 20 km off the A 96.

Last edited: