Going to Nordkapp. Roads to visit?

McRae

Me and a friend have decided to do a road-trip this summer, taking us to the northern-most part of Europe. We have already planned a route that takes us to places that we would like to visit, including:

Preikestolen/Lysefjord
Trollstigen
Kystriksvei 17
Lofoten

Here it is:

Billede-1-3.jpg

If some of you have any additional suggestions when it comes to great driving roads etc., do tell me.

I am so jealous right now.......Norway must be awesome!

Looks like an awesome trip!
You could also take a ferry from Bodo to Moskenes, and then drive through Lofoten. The scenery is just amazing, especially in the southernmost part of the islands. The ferry is quite costly though, I took it 2 years ago, and it cost about 110 euros.

Also, are you just planning to take the same route back to Denmark?

Last edited:
Nope, we'll be going through Sweden on our way back (paying Finland a short visit).

I think we'll try to avoid as many ferries as possible, except when taking the road is too big a detour. And just getting to Norway in the first place costs about 110 euros...

Last edited:
Ok, been there, done that:

_G8L1048_2.jpg

The trip only took us 15 days, which was a week less than expected, but then we didn't do much else than drive most of the time. Most days we drove 300-400 kilometers, one of the days stretching it to 700 (Nordkapp to G?llivare in Sweden) because we had to find a camp site, of which there aren't many in northern Lappland :p

If anyone should be interested, our car for the trip was a near mint Mazda6 2.2 DE with 125 horses. Nothing special, but incredibly comfortable, and a very smooth and frugal engine, giving us a mpg figure of around 49.5 ((21 km/l) which was just what we needed the fuel prices in Norway taken into consideration...).

Anyway, thought I'd share a "couple" of other pics as well:

_G8L0878.jpg

_G8L0889.jpg

_G8L0892.jpg

_G8L0894.jpg

_G8L0897.jpg

_G8L0907.jpg

_G8L0913.jpg

_G8L0920.jpg

_G8L0925.jpg

_G8L0934.jpg

_G8L0950.jpg

_G8L0983.jpg

_G8L1000.jpg

_G8L1014.jpg

Did you go to Vistdalsheia?

We did indeed yes. Very nice piece of road, and almost no traffic at all. A great opportunity to loosen up a bit, and one of few places where we didn't get stuck behind some convoy of dutch caravans :p

We did get stuck eventually when we reached Molde, but that was because of a road that wasn't there anymore...(roadworks on route 64).

I'd recommend a stop of some sort in the S?rlandet, especially Farsund. Since my family is from there, I'm partial to the view from Lista fyr, but Lindesenes (Norway's southernmost point!) is also quite breathtaking, even on a cloudy day. Also, assuming all is the same as when I was there last year, both lighthouses have excellent waffles.

Mandal is another lovely city with a harbour, if you're into that sort of thing.

Just to inform you...I returned from the trip a month ago, so it's a little late to give me additional advice ;) But perhaps it's useful for others on the forums.

Mandal and Lindesnes didn't quite fit into our plan for the trip anyway, but I might go there another time. It's quite close to where I live in Denmark (counting in a shorter ferry crossing).

Ok, so I'm probably going on a small road trip to Norway and Sweden again this summer. Not all the way to Nordkapp this time though. I noticed that TG Magazine seem to be quite impressed by a road to Lysebotn called Lyseveien, due to it having 27 hairpin turns. Is it just as frustrating and dull (aka. filled with campervans) as Trollstigen?