News: Golf GTD announced

Yes, dedicated racing outfits with hundreds of millions in factory backing and access to the best engineers and technicians on the planet are winning races with diesels.

This is not built by the best technicians. This will not win Le Mans.

Yeah, because the VAG spends millions on developing racing technology just for the pretty trophy.

Yeah, because the VAG spends millions on developing racing technology just for the pretty trophy.

Isn't that why everyone spends millions going racing?

I warmed to the idea of diesels when dad got his 530d. I want one.

Same here, when my Dad got his 530d is fell in love with it, perfect travel car...
Still, I dig petrol engines more...

While carmakers spend just a few pennies when designing a production car...

Some do, some don't. Korean car companies, for instance, don't spend much. Upper-tier European car companies do.

None of them spend as much on one production car as one serious race car, such as an Audi R15, costs to develop.

In particular I am suspicious of Volkswagen's engineers. They may be solid, but ever since I saw the way those Jetta TDI cup cars bounced around a track I've had my doubts.

Isn't that why everyone spends millions going racing?

I think it's more like 70% to say "look our technology is teh awesome and the best part is you can have a bit of this in your family car and feel like a racing driver if you buy our new hatchback" and 30% actually doing this.