Golf IV problems

shad_68

DOOD looks like a lady
Car(s)
Just Horsing Around
My parent's 2000 Golf IV has got a few small issues at the moment, but I couldn't really find any info on them on general IV problem pages. So I thought I'd ask here, FG has it's fair share of knowledgeable people afterall.

First, the rear window washer doesn't work. It doesn't spray any water out of the nozzle. Sounds like the pump is working though. I think I heard something about the hoses coming loose, since they're only pushed together apparently. But there are no visible leaks anywhere in the rear. Clogged nozzle perhaps?

And the door and interior illumination that's supposed to come on when you open it doesn't work properly on the driver's side. When you open the passanger's side door though, it turns on. So obviously, the lights itself are fine. My guess is that the contact that's supposed to notice when the door's open has broken.
But strangely, when you leave the headlights or something on, and then open the left door it beeps to remind you it's still on - I can't imagine that VW used multiple sensors for the door, so this seem very strange to me.
Any other ideas on what it could be?

Same situation with the rear hatch, although I don't know if the lights there turn on when the right door is open as well. Gotta check that...

Oh, and today the driver's side door lock broke - now you can't open the door at all, not even from the inside! My brother took it to a garage already, but they said they didn't have the necessary parts in store.
And that's only the recent issues... great quality product! :p

Weren't we recently being told that the German-made VWs were different from the Mexican-made ones? That the German craftsmanship was perfect and that the German VWs had no problems whatsoever? :p

Sounds like the typical decay we see over here with VAG products.

Issue 1 - hatch washer: Probably a clogged nozzle or hose. Disconnect the hose from the nozzle, trip the washer mechanism and see if any fluid comes out (you'll want it pointed into a coffee can or soda bottle to catch any fluid that may come out). If fluid comes out, it should come out with some velocity. If no fluid comes out but the pump seems to be running, check to make sure there is fluid in the reservoir (some cars have a separate reservoir for the rear washer) and that there are no breaks, clogs or kinks in the line between the pump and the back.

Issue 2 - dome light: Most cars do not use a relay for the dome lights, so chances are good that this is a defective door switch. It's probably passing enough current to trip the beeper, but not enough to ignite the lights. Remove and clean with contact cleaner or replace. Same for the back hatch.

Issue 3 - broken door lock/latch mech, general poor quality: Buy something that's not a VAG product. :D

Last edited:
I disagree, VAG's had lots of QC problems in the US. Leaving aside the problematic J.D Powers rankings, VAG consistently scores towards the low end of the quality scales.

2007 models Consumer Reports:

Jetta IV - 3rd least reliable small car.
Passat - Least reliable family car.
Touareg - 5th least reliable midsize SUV

Last edited:
Did the rear window washer suddenly stopped working? I had the same problem too... but it was because I don't use it very often... the last time was in summer. So there was pure water in the pipe. So it froze when it got cold... Of course i put antifreeze in the water tank in late fall.. but because I don't use it very often the antifreeze didn't make it all the way to the rear end of the car

No, the rear washer problem exists for quite some time already... definately not down to the cold.

And on the quality front, from my personal experience I can only say that the Golf IV isn't the best example of a trouble free car. My parents, who always had VWs, always remark how this has been the most troublesome car they have ever owned as well.

It's commonly acknowledged that the Mk IV Golf isn't VAGs proudest moments. While there are many good ones running around with high mileage, in general it is a poor car by normal German/Volkswagen standards.

As for the faults in your parents' car, they are all common and typical in VAG cars all across, not just Volkswagens, but Audis, Seats and Skodas just as well, just like Spectre mentioned.

1. Very common. Can be anything from clogging up to a sensor fault, but the most common reason that I know of is this:

- The pipe itself has cracked or has come loose. The system works just fine, which means that there might be a gallon of washer fluid hidden inside the wheel well or the upholstery, depending on the location of the washer pump, pipes etc.

I assume the wiper still works ? This would indicate that there is nothing wrong with the electrics either.

2. Microswitch in the door, I am 99% positive it's this. My car has this problem also; when I open the rear doors, the interior lights blink. No problem with the front doors. Loads of info to be found and depending on the case, can be fixed DIY. Google "Volkswagen/Audi (door) micro switch" for example, should bring up pretty good amount of info.

Spectre said:
Buy something that's not a VAG product. :D

Yes, listen to the man with the 1980's Jaguar about reliability...

I disagree, VAG's had lots of QC problems in the US. Leaving aside the problematic J.D Powers rankings, VAG consistently scores towards the low end of the quality scales.

2007 models Consumer Reports:

Jetta IV - 3rd least reliable small car.
Passat - Least reliable family car.
Touareg - 5th least reliable midsize SUV

Consumer Reports? You can do better than that.

- The pipe itself has cracked or has come loose. The system works just fine, which means that there might be a gallon of washer fluid hidden inside the wheel well or the upholstery, depending on the location of the washer pump, pipes etc.

I assume the wiper still works ? This would indicate that there is nothing wrong with the electrics either.

Yup, wiper still works. I'm not exactly sure where the hose is going along, does anyone know where I might find some info on that?

Consumer Reports? You can do better than that.

Yeah, if I was going for other ratings, but CR seems to be the least biased of the lot when it comes to long term quality.

Besides, I can't get to the RL Polk site for some reason.