Golf R32: just a couple of pics I took today *56k warning*

oliB

Hi!

After I cleaned the shit out of the R32 on sunday (did a pretty good job IMO 8) ) I thought maybe it would be a good idea to take some pics.

I'm a photography noob though, hope you enjoy the pics anyways! :)

cimg11325be.jpg

cimg10657pk.jpg

cimg10666ls.jpg

cimg10829kl.jpg

I know, the shape of the gearlever is a bit odd... It's not an auto btw, it's a DSG - Direct Shift Gearbox. (see the Fifth Gear review of the Golf GTI)

cimg11141jr.jpg

cimg11340nr.jpg

cimg11251fd.jpg

cimg11367un.jpg

Just ask if you want a picture in higher res. (or more pics)

There's also a thread with some videos in the Video Offers-section:
http://forum.finalgear.com/viewtopic.php?t=3427&highlight=r32
Probably not too exciting but you can hear the exhaust note, which is pretty sweet.

cya
Oliver

PS: I've said it before and I'll say it again: No, it's not my car. It's my dad's but I drive it more than he does. ;)

Very nice, black suits it perfectly!

How's the DSG?

BTW, your videos are dead.

I noticed too that the videos were down, reuploaded them and editet my post in the Video Offers section! :)

The DSG is really good, much better than any automatic! (I've never driven a car with a normal sequential gearbox/only one clutch, like the M3 SMG, though)

Because there's no torque converter there's no horespower loss. At the same time, the two clutches make the gearchange seamless and very quick without any "traction interruption".
You can use the auto mode or shift manually with the paddles behind the steering wheel or the gearlever. When I'm in traffic I often use the auto mode, but I can still downshift with the paddles for a quick burst of acceleration or to use the engine brake.

All in all, it's a really clever system and probably (like Jason said) the future of gear change. It basically has all of the benefits of an auto (unlike normal sequential gearboxes) with none of the drawbacks.

Personally, I think I would still choose a manual because of that last bit of driving involvement. Maybe I'll change my mind when I get older... ;)

BTW, the DSG was introduced on the R32 and lots of future (sports)cars will get it. E.g. the next Porsche Turbo, the Audi RS4 as well as the Bugatti Veyron, just to name a few. :)

cya
Oliver

PS: Forgot to mask the license plate! :|
Well, what could possibly happen...

I'd have to try it but I think I'd get that over a real manual, shoot me if you want but it's just the perfect bland of fun/performance and comfort IMO. :)

nice shots oliB...have you taken it on the autobahn yet? :D

btw, does anyone know if the DSG shifts quicker than the SMG in the M3?... my dad and I test drove the M3 last weekend and the SMG gearbox and the changes were pretty damn quick already

I have no idea... did SMG1 have the button to control how fast you wanted the gearbox to shift?

Beautiful car oliB. Definitely jealous that you get to drive a car like that. Looks good :thumbsup:

andyhui01 said:
I have no idea... did SMG1 have the button to control how fast you wanted the gearbox to shift?

I'm pretty sure the only difference between both is the software used

andyhui01 said:

IIRC, the M3 e46 (current M3, previous 3-series) uses the SMGII. I'm sure it uses it, but not if it was also available with SMGI. The M5 e60 uses SMGIII.
And I think that DSG changes gears faster then SMG. And the transition is smoother, all thanks to the fact that it uses two clutches (1-3-5 on one and 2-4-6 on another).

Although both systems are really great, I think that DSG is superior.

Oh, forgot, Nice car BTW. Didn't know the DSG was on the R32 too. (but it was introduced in the Audi TT 3.2 since it's more of an development of Audi)

Greetz Johan

Thank you for your positive comments guys! :)

Yeah, I'm very happy to be able to drive a car like that at my age (20).

It really is a lot of fun, but you pay the price at the gas station. With it's 3.2 V6 the R32 is somewhat of a gas guzzler.
I would say the average mileage I get is ~19 mpg, if i push it on the Autobahn it's more like 14. Best I've seen -with lots of retention- is 26 mpg.

This is what it looks like at the pump, thanks to the high fuel prices we have in Germany/Europe:
cimg10609qo.jpg

81.68 $ for ~14.5 gallons of fuel. This equals 5.60 $ per gallon. :?

andyhui01 said:
nice shots oliB...have you taken it on the autobahn yet? :D
You bet I did! 8)

The fastest I went was 255 km/h (~158 mph), on several occasions. If the traffic allows it I'll always do 120-150 mph. 110 mph still feels like cruising. :mrgreen:
I have yet to find a long straight to really max it out though!

freerider said:
Didn't know the DSG was on the R32 too. (but it was introduced in the Audi TT 3.2 since it's more of an development of Audi)
The DSG was introduced in the R32 at the beginning of 2003.
Then in the middle of 2003 the TT 3.2 V6 - with the R32 engine - was released. Also available with the Direct Shift gearbox. (I was pretty determined I was right, checked to make sure) Jeremy even reviewed it on TG.

Not even sure if the DSG really is more of an Audi development. Doesn't really matter anyway since Audi=VW. Same technology.

BTW, SMG I=E36 M3, SMG II=E46 M3, SMG III=E60 M5.
DSG has quicker changes, simply because there is no point in time where the engine is not turning the wheels.

cya
Oliver

Lovely car mate. I know a guy who I race with who has a Deep Blue one. His was the second in the UK actually :p Seriously thinking of finding myself a nice 2nd hand one when I leave Uni. My folks test drove one when they were buying they're last car. Amazing sound and so much torque. They settled on a Saab 9-3 Aero in the end which is nice, but the R32 has something really special about it. Good to see you keep it fantastically shiney too :D

sch?nes Auto mu? ich ja mal ganz ehrlich sagen.
Viel Spa? noch damit

Bella_Maquina said:
sch?nes Auto mu? ich ja mal ganz ehrlich sagen.
Viel Spa? noch damit
What did he just say? Let me guess. nice car dude..

Great photos + great car... the only place i get to drive it is in NFS U2 :cry: