Good alternative to iPod

If by silly limitations you mean soft/firmware implemented to lock down hardware, the answer is no. A said it will work with an aux. port, but may not work with a USB port built into the head unit, though it likely will. Also, most head units with a USB port can play directly off a flash drive, and the Sansa(as well as most others) players can be set to act as a normal storage device, so car stereo integration on some level shouldn't be an issue.

Brilliant...thanks to all of you for the advice.

Consider the Cowon D2. I've had mine for ages now, and its fantastic.

1) Excellent sound quality, even with high-end IEMs.
2) 16GB + Full size SD slot, so plenty of memory expansion. I have a 16GB Cowon D2 with an 8GB SD card for videos atm. Planning on getting a 32GB card soon.
3) Heaps of formats supported (e.g. I use mainly FLAC)
4) 50+ hours of battery life for music, and even video gets like 5-6 hours.
5) Very small size, so its easy to carry around
6) Rockbox is being ported to the D2 at the moment, so once that comes on steam you'll have even more thing to play around with.
7) Plenty of customization available already with themes, flash skins, flash games, etc: http://www.iaudiophile.net/index.php

Since you're in the US, this is the place to buy Cowon stuff: http://www.jetmall.net/

The D2+ is the updated version of the D2. They're basically identical aside from the D2+ receiving a much better looking lick of paint.

Last edited:
Can I hijack for a second and ask for something cheap with physical buttons, preferably something that uses a non-proprietary input? I lost my Creative Zen somehow.

iAudio 7? The Zen's are pretty buggy to use.

Can I hijack for a second and ask for something cheap with physical buttons, preferably something that uses a non-proprietary input? I lost my Creative Zen somehow.

First thing that comes to my mind is a Sansa Clip.(I fear I may be becoming a fanboy, better be careful) Same excellent sound wuality as the Fuze, but tiny and uses a mini-usb port. Useless for pics/videos. I'm gonna look into the D2 though, sounds neat.

EDIT: Just did a (very) little looking into the D2, and it's safe to say I will be pointing people in that direction in the future. I just want a good player with KLEER built in. Then I'd be a happy camper.

Last edited:
Hey Smib, why D2+ and not S9?

Last edited:
Hey Smib, why D2+ and not S9?

D2+ Has more tweaking options, rockbox is being ported over for it, and it has a full-size SD card slot, so it'll easily store more than the S9.

In case you haven't heard of the awesomeness that is rockbox: http://www.rockbox.org/

Last edited:
walkman-girl4.jpg

First thing that comes to my mind is a Sansa Clip.(I fear I may be becoming a fanboy, better be careful) Same excellent sound wuality as the Fuze, but tiny and uses a mini-usb port. Useless for pics/videos. I'm gonna look into the D2 though, sounds neat.

I totally bought one! In 2GB flavor, since Wal Mart had them on sale for $30. I'd normally search for a bigger size, but $30!

^I got an 8GB one for $49 when they were on special. Had someone ship it over from the US for me since they don't sell the 8GB models here in Australia.

I still have my old 2GB that I use at the gym occasionally.

What about the new Sony NWZ-X1000 OLED PMPs? From what I've heard, it's probably one of the best sounding PMPs on the market now. It costs the same as an iPod touch, but has an integrated noise canceling feature as well as one of the sharpest displays on the market. Having that said, I've also heard that the internet browser is not nearly as strong as the one on the iPod Touch. So at the end of the day, it really depends on what your priorities are.

That's pretty much exactly what I've heard. If I was in the market to spend that much money on a pmp, I'd wait to see what the Zune HD is like, and choose between them. But as I've said before, I will not spends lots of money on a pmp untill I can get a good one with Kleer built in.

I don't understand the dislike of iTunes. It's simple, pretty and does everything I want it to, plus more which I don't use. What's there not to like?

Here is one: After all these years it still forces you to install QuickTime, which is of absolutely no use to anyone.

I never really had much of a problem with iTunes, but it's not the best piece of software out there. It can be sluggish at times even on fast machines, and I can't even remember how many times my library's been corrupted out of nowhere, forcing me to reload them all into iTunes.

Yeah, I'll shut up now since I have nothing outright useful to contribute to the thread.

Edit: It also still doesn't let you move music from your iPod to your PC... PC to iPod is well and good, but heaven forbid you need/want to do it the other way around!

I've only used iTunes a few times, and they've all been painful and aggravating. WMP and explorer have worked superbly.

As for my previous post, it's a lie. I want a Cowon S9, but with Kleer.

This is more iTunes related than iPod related but is there any media management software out there that offers iTunes esque podcast support with subscriptions and such? Because the only thing keeping me from switching to Rockbox and some other software is my addiciton to podcasts