Good alternative to iPod

^You could always just boot into the original firmware if you still want to use podcasts with iTunes. Then again, doesn't winamp handle podcast subscriptions???

But then, I don't use podcast, so maybe someone more experienced can suggest a decent software.

Cowon D2+ is terrific as a media player, but you won't be able to show off much (I'm only saying this cause I'me sure most Apple users want just that).

33537192-2-440-FT-2.jpg

^Or you could get the D2 for less, than just flash the D2+ firmware :p

I love my D2 though.

Cowon D2+ is terrific as a media player, but you won't be able to show off much (I'm only saying this cause I'me sure most Apple users want just that).

Everyone and their dog has an iThing, the Cowon is different and exciting. Much rather show that off than yet another iProduct.

Everyone and their dog has an iThing, the Cowon is different and exciting. Much rather show that off than yet another iProduct.

I'm rather talking about that thing when you dine with someone, and they stack their iPhones on the table. Wtf is that all about :lol:

^Not to mention the Cowon packs more into a smaller size :p

Expandable memory FTW!!

Speaking of memory, I want to buy a 32GB SD card for my D2, and found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Brand-New-32...=65:1|66:2|39:1|293:1|294:50#ebayphotohosting

Thats an insanely good price for a 32GB SD. Do you guys reckon the seller is legit?????

Well, I have a D2+ with a 32gb card, it's fantastic. Although I've run out of space already :lol:

Regarding this particular offer - AVOID. It's obviously a cheap fake card, blatantly imitating Transcend design. In the best scenario you will end up with a terribly slow some-gigabytes card. Normally, such fakes are reported to either not work at all, or be very unreliable and of smaller capacity.

A realistic bargain for a 32GB card would be $70 boxed, or $50-$60 unboxed (demo unit or second hand or whatever), but you have to be very careful with the latter as well.

Hi. I'm an Apple hater. Please don't get the touch.

The Cowon D2 is great, but it the way it handles navigation may be tough for some. Although it has a touch screen, it's not as responsive as an Apple screen so it is more difficult to scroll through a massive list of songs.

It sounds great, battery lasts forever, and has more features, but the UI definitely is not up to Apple levels.
Still, not having to deal with iTunes is a godsend.

iTunes especially sucks in Windows. In fact, all of Apple's apps do.

I hate to be shallow, but the D2 is an ugly little pig. It doesn't seem like it would be comfortable to have in my pocket all day, either.

People who hate on iTunes use it on a PC. It's really slow & overall terrible when dealing with a large library. On a Mac it runs a lot smoother.

That said. I've been looking for a replacement to my 80Gb iPod. But I like the organization iTunes has given me (I rate a lot of my songs and build playlists on that). I think the interface of iTunes has gotten old and it needs more pro features that let you better manage ID3 tags and support custom EQ's...

...because the current iPod classic hasn't been updated in years. The sound quality is "meh", it can't handle custom EQ's and the interface gets in the way if you have extremely large collections.

People who hate on iTunes use it on a PC. It's really slow & overall terrible when dealing with a large library. On a Mac it runs a lot smoother.

That's very true, but somewhat irrelevant... last I checked the majority of people were still running Windows on their machines, so that's not a good excuse for the folks at Apple.

Plus, some of the niggles carry over to the OS X version as well, such as the inability to move songs from the iPod back to your computer.

Yeah, what the fuck is that about? And deleting songs off an iPod that aren't in the computers library? Fucking ridiculous.

Anapod Explorer > iTunes for most people, file browser integrated and awesome to use

Yeah, what the fuck is that about? And deleting songs off an iPod that aren't in the computers library? Fucking ridiculous.

It's called synchronization. It synchronizes files. The files are in sync.

I own a Cowon S9.

The good:
-Screen is of high quality if you do videos/photo
-Amazing battery life, like 40-50 hours music and 10 hours video on a charge. I don't do video but have verified the music charge time when mine was new a couple of months ago.
-Physical controls for next/prev song, volume and play/pause
-Can use filesystem to drag/drop songs on/off of it

The bad:
-Playlist support is wonky. Only winamp has successfully manipulated the playlists on it for me.
-Touch screen interface not as good as an ipod
-Manipulating photos is a bit slow (though audio/video is done in special hardware and is just fine)
-no wifi if that's what you're looking for

I got the 16GB for $220USD and am very satisfied. As a straight up mp3 player, I like it better than the ipod. The ipod does more with the app store and w/e but I have my computer for that.

I've never had that problem... even plugged my iPod into a mates PC and didn't get an option to delete them.:blink:

I think the reason for being un-able to move songs from an iPod to a PC is some lame anti-piracy thing, to stop you from distributing your tracks to all your mates PCs and them not paying for them.
Technicaly illegal.
However there is nothing to stop you plugging your iPod into a mates PC and moving all their files to your iPod, you just can't get them back off to you PC.

Its stupid but you can get free software that'll transfer iPod to PC anyway.

I've never had a problem with iTunes, the updates have helped it a hell of alot fromt he old days, but it still has niggles.
I also only have 620 tracks in it and 1000 on the iPod, so not a huge library

I've never had that problem... even plugged my iPod into a mates PC and didn't get an option to delete them.:blink:

I think the reason for being un-able to move songs from an iPod to a PC is some lame anti-piracy thing, to stop you from distributing your tracks to all your mates PCs and them not paying for them.

It won't just delete files off your iPod... that only happens when you tell iTunes to manage your iPod music or keep your files synchronized in other words.

And obviously not being able to copy from your iPod to your computer is an anti-piracy thing... but you don't see other companies doing the same thing because they don't give a shit. Apple does give a shit because they're selling you the content and the device you play it on, which causes problems such as this.

Samsung P3
Cowon S9
Sony X-Series

Or is iPod Touch best route to go?

The Cowon S9 supports Ogg Vorbis, you could get really good quality (for the file size) out of Quality 0.4 (VBR around 128kbps) or 0.5 (VBR around 160kbps) as it removes a lot of the functional limitations of MP3.

Yes, I'd say go for whatever supports Ogg Vorbis if quality and small file sizes are primary concerns.

Alternative to IPOD

Alternative to IPOD

iPod vs. alternatives? It depends on what you're looking for in a player. Just music playback, or video too? Internet capability? Capacity? Physical size?

Give us some more details on what you want and then we can help you better.

I've had two IPOD's - one I drowned when my water bottle leaked in my gym bag. Last one sustained damage the same way but was repairable - cost $90, worked fine for a week, and now the battery is dead - can run it form the docking station but can't use it without. I don't watch video's, don't surf the web etc. I listen to music, want to be able to creat playlists, want to be able to see the print on the screen (I'm old), don't need zillions of gigabits. I have a cheap MP3 player - but I can't see the screen and can't make/have playlists. Is there a cheaper alternative to an ipod (classic) or do I just replace the one I've recked (again). Thanks