Good alternative to iPod

I love my Zunes and can't imagine having anything else. The interface is simple to use and looks great. The software is easy to use and does what it's supposed to. But probably the best part is that the software and firmware get better with every update. I liked my 80GB version so much that I picked up an 8GB when Newegg had them on sale for $80 so if you look hard enough you can get them for real cheap.

If you're looking for just a music player then the flash Zunes are great. My 80 also makes for a darn good portable video player/photo viewer with it's big screen.

^I'd love to try a Zune, but damn Microsoft doesn't sell them overseas...

I do hope that SanDisc will update the Clip in the near future. I'd happily spend >100$ on a 16GB version with MicroSD slot, 30+ hours of battery life and roughly the same form factor.

HEAR ME SANDISK? DO IT!

Looks like someone at SanDisk was kinda listening..

sandisk-sansa-clip-plus.jpg

Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player Features:

Superior sound ? one of the best sounding MP3 players on the market

microSD expansion slot which is compatible with slotRadio and slotMusic cards and any standard microSD card

A wearable clip for hands-free portability and effortless enjoyment of digital music on the go

Large(1?), bright (OLED) screen with a simple user interface that makes it easy to choose playlists or songs sorted by title, artist, album, genre

FM tuner with 40 presets for listening to sports, tuning in at the gym or your favorite music station

Built-in microphone to record thoughts while on the go

Equalizer mode to fine tune the listening experience

Rechargeable, lithium ion battery with up to 15 hours of life2 - one of the most competitive battery performances for an MP3 player of its size on the market today

Solid state flash memory for skip-free playback of music
Support for many music download and subscription services including Rhapsody?, Napster, eMusic and others

Designed to work seamlessly with a wide range of music formats, such as MP3, WMA, WAV, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis and Audible files (for audio books), in both unprotected and protected files

The Sansa Clip+ MP3 player is the first Windows 7 certified MP3 player (along with the Sansa? Fuze?, Sansa? View, and Sansa? Clip portable media players). This compatibility simplifies the user experience and offers a smooth transition to the forthcoming operating system.

The Sansa Clip+ MP3 player updates SanDisk?s Sansa audio/video product family, which includes the popular full-sized Sansa Fuze MP3 player, SanDisk slotRadio? player, SanDisk slotMusic? player and the companion SanDisk slotRadio and slotMusic cards.

For more information on SanDisk products, visit: www.sandisk.com

Review by abi.com

Umm.. thanks, I guess. I'm so gonna buy one.

Last edited:
I personally recommend this:

bobeo1.png

I like it quite a lot! B&O Beosound 6
The sound quality is just exquisite. :D

Last edited:

bobeo1.png

I think you'll find I recommended that early on page 1 ;)

Yes, good sound quality, and as I mentioned, I can go a week without recharging it because the battery life is that good. You throw in the 3 year warranty it comes with and the deal gets better.

Yes, good sound quality, and as I mentioned, I can go a week without recharging it because the battery life is that good. You throw in the 3 year warranty it comes with and the deal gets better.

Oh yeah, you did! Silly me! I felt quite lazy reading the entire thread.:lol:

It's quite rare (which is also a reason why I bought it), so I didn't expect it to be recommended so early! :lol:

I quite like mine. Battery lasts for 3-4 days, because I use it quite often while driving (connected to an aux port). :cool:

I am totally buying a Sansa clip+ as soon as its available.

I still love my current 8GB Clip, so a 24GB clip would be epic.

450$ for 4 gigabytes is a bit steep though, isn't it?

bobeo1.png

This is even more overpriced than the iPod touch, plus it does next to nothing besides play music. That said, I do love my B&O headphones quite a lot and the quality/design of everything B&O is just incredible

This is even more overpriced than the iPod touch

:rolleyes:
Umm, considering comparable devices with less power and less functionality sell for hundreds more...

Takes a while for h8rs to realise that just because something is called an "iPod" doesn't mean that it's an MP3 player.
Show me something that can match an iPod touch for under US$179 (which is a realistic price for a US 8GB model).

Last edited:
Well, in a thread discussion mp3 players, it is the music playback that we are most concerned about. The iPod has limited file support and mediocre sound quality. There's no denying that it has a lot of functionality beyond that, but as an mp3 player, it's not that great. So unless web access and flash games are something you would really like to have(which is perfectly reasonable) the iPod isn't so great a choice. That said I feel like I've made no real argument here.
pancake.gif

I don't disagree with you. Just saying that if you are going to call something overpriced, first consider the device for what it is. Saying that your tC is ridiculously overpriced when comparing it to a Sony Discman makes about as much sense as GTR's statement.

/OT

Looks like someone at SanDisk was kinda listening..

sandisk-sansa-clip-plus.jpg

Review by abi.com

Umm.. thanks, I guess. I'm so gonna buy one.

The SD card won't fit in the slot that way!

I know, they wanted to get all the logos upright, but it does look pretty silly how they did it.

On the other hand, the Sansa Clip is pretty fantastic all around, especially since they're the only ones I've seen that do a "Play All Albums" feature, which is how I prefer to listen to music.

Last edited:
This is even more overpriced than the iPod touch, plus it does next to nothing besides play music. That said, I do love my B&O headphones quite a lot and the quality/design of everything B&O is just incredible

It is also more or less the best mp3 player you can get if you're concerned about sound quality. The Beosound 2 has ever fewer features, and many people say it's got even better quality than the 6- but it doesn't even have a screen. Also, keep in mind the Beosound units come with the headphones that retail for $160 as well, also note, Apple sells those same B&O headphones in their Apple stores. Oh, and the warranty on an ipod is 90 days- or you can buy a longer one, which still isn't as long as the Beosound which comes with a full 3 year international and transferable warranty.

Yes, it doesn't have the biggest hard drive, but for people who care about sound quality over quantity, it beats any competitor for the money. And honestly, how much time do you spend listening to so much different music that you need a huge portable drive to store it all, I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of people spend their time listening to the same small selection of music that would fit cleanly on 4 gb.

So there's my reasoning; the best quality, a wonderful warranty, and something that makes me snootier than someone with an ipod :mrgreen:

:rolleyes:
Umm, considering comparable devices with less power and less functionality sell for hundreds more...

Takes a while for h8rs to realise that just because something is called an "iPod" doesn't mean that it's an MP3 player.
Show me something that can match an iPod touch for under US$179 (which is a realistic price for a US 8GB model).

I am not going to get into this argument, because I know I'm going to lose, plus I've seen you argue about it in other threads so yeah. It's just cool to hate apple even if I do secretly want everything they're currently offering (well except the shuffle, unless they fixed the headphone thing)

It is also more or less the best mp3 player you can get if you're concerned about sound quality. The Beosound 2 has ever fewer features, and many people say it's got even better quality than the 6- but it doesn't even have a screen. Also, keep in mind the Beosound units come with the headphones that retail for $160 as well, also note, Apple sells those same B&O headphones in their Apple stores. Oh, and the warranty on an ipod is 90 days- or you can buy a longer one, which still isn't as long as the Beosound which comes with a full 3 year international and transferable warranty.

So there's my reasoning; the best quality, a wonderful warranty, and something that makes me snootier than someone with an ipod :mrgreen:

Dammnit you've made me want one even more, too bad I don't know what to do with an extra set of headphones. How much does it retail for? I might save up and pick one up for Christmas and while we're at it, does it need music with lossless codecs to really notice the improvement or will MP3s do the job just fine.

Last edited:
IDammnit you've made me want one even more, too bad I don't know what to do with an extra set of headphones. How much does it retail for? I might save up and pick one up for Christmas and while we're at it, does it need music with lossless codecs to really notice the improvement or will MP3s do the job just fine.

yeah good idea, then only 6 albums will fit on it :rolleyes:

^ Irrelevant, when I bought my headphones it made a lot of my low quality music sound like total shit because it didn't mask the music like cheap headphones, if you couple that with a really high end media player then it would seem that it would make

Quite honestly I think you can get away with MP3's on it. Assuming they're good quality MP3s done with proper codecs, 192k encoding should be more than enough for you. Hell, I've got a 128k mp3 of Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 and it's so clear you can hear the hammers in the piano working. So as long as you have decent source files you'd be fine. I haven't bothered to put a bunch of loseless stuff on it to really see yet, but when I finally have some time to mess with it I will, I've got a bunch of new stuff I want to put on it anyway.

I honestly wouldn't bother going anywhere else other than a boutique or the B&O estore to but it though. Not only will buying it from B&O be better and easier in the long run if by some chance you do need warranty work, but if you stop by a boutique to get it, there's a good chance you'll walk out with a few books/catalogs (the pictures and design in the catalogs are worth a sit down I think) and a bottle opener or two.

^

Got a free airplane adapter for my headphones (or maybe it was supposed to be like that), but that was it.