Good Conferencing Software?

GaryC

Car(s)
'90 Miata, '12 Octavia RS
I posted this in the FSAE thread, but I thought here I'd get a lot more responses.

So, the situation here is that the Formula SAE (FSAE) team currently uses GoggleTalk and email to communicate with each other online, mostly. The situation is that when I might be replying to the team email, someone else would have already, then I'd send my email, only to find out it's already said or the point's completely gone. Not to mention it clogging up the emails.

So I'm defering to the wisdom of the forum. I'd like a program/web application that could tolerate up to around 20 people talking to each other at once through a chat service that has live updates, have offline messaging like email, private chat maybe, and file transfer protocols. But that's also free to use.

Hmm sounds like WLM or IRC :lol: Any other suggestions?

Google+? Set-up a separate circle for the group.

Skype? It's not great but has all of those features, plus voice and video.

Yeah, Wave was the first thing I thought about when I was discussing it with a friend. Damn. Google finally has their customer base, but it's too late now!

Yeah, I saw that, but we need to use it now.. And who knows if the Apache thing will be only for Linux or multi-platform?

Any other suggestions for something I can use now?

It really depends on what your focus is.
If you basically want offline-capable messages within a small group you might look at Skype or similar services.
If you want more of a document-editing environment you might look at Google Docs.
If offline messages aren't that important IRC might suffice.
If you're very nerdy you might like a PabloDraw session :lol:
Thought about simply using an online forum?

Some combination of Skype and a server at the office to store your big CAD drawings and other data?

irc with logs + dropbox "teams" with the space for the cad.

Yeah, we use dropbox for the cad/files. I'll look into the irc and suggest it to the leader.

Skype now supports sharing your desktop view with everyone in a call (it could be done before with software like Manycam...) so for a group discussion it seems like a good choice... "let me show you THIS" and off you go

could teamviewer be shared to multiple people?

We use Yammer at work that seems to do most of the stuff you want, there are countless "enterprise social networks" that would fit the bill.