Good F1 races in the rain?

There's quite a lot! The ones that stick in my mind are:

Monaco 1996
Germany 2000 (largely dry until the final quarter or so)
Nurburgring 2007
China 2010
Canada 2011

Last edited:
Britain 2008
Fuji 2007
Monaco 2008
(besides the ones Red_Bull said)

European GP '93 is one of my favorites that hasn't been named above.

Belgium 1998 was always a favourite as well. The huge crash at the start, the controversial collision between MS and DC and the feel good story of Damon Hill steering Jordan to their first win.

European GP '93 is one of my favorites that hasn't been named above.

That one was crazy with all the pit stops due to having to switch back and forth from wets to drys.

There was also Adelaide 1991. They held it in a literal typhoon and had to call it some 15 laps in due to all the wrecks, but Senna proved once again he had no equal when it came to driving in the wet.

That one was crazy with all the pit stops due to having to switch back and forth from wets to drys.

There was also Adelaide 1991. They held it in a literal typhoon and had to call it some 15 laps in due to all the wrecks, but Senna proved once again he had no equal when it came to driving in the wet.

As opposed to 1989, which went to the two hours and is famous for the Jaws-like shot of Senna's car munching a large chunk out of Brundle's gearbox and losing a wheel in the process, with the fastest lap set on that day by, of all people, Satoru Nakajima. :lol:

Canada '11 would have been a lot better if they hadn't activated the stupid DRS in the last few laps. Spoilt it. I can't class it as a great for that reason.

Nurburgring '07 and Interlagos '08 all the way!

Seriously no mention of Belgium 2000? That brilliant pass by Mika makes it worth it to watch.

Seriously no mention of Belgium 2000? That brilliant pass by Mika makes it worth it to watch.

That's because by lap 10 the track was dry and the pass happened in the dry. Starting that race under SC conditions was overkill, the track was never dangerously wet. And no rain fell during the race itself.

Last edited:

Haha, yeah, t'was brilliant. I was biting my nails all the way through.

That's because by lap 10 the track was dry and the pass happened in the dry. Starting that race under SC conditions was overkill, the track was never dangerously wet. And no rain fell during the race itself.
Whatever, it's still a good race to watch.

Suzuka '94, Spain '96, France '99 and Nurburg '99 were wet as well from memory :)

was Spa '08 the one with the Lewis vs Kimi thing?

Whatever year it was, yeah that was some of the most exciting few laps of F1, I stood up when it started to spit with rain a few laps from the end and didn't sit back down until they passed the flag.

Good thing the stewards put a stop to all that racing nonsense.

Yeah it was 2008. Was exciting but I still think Lewis did nothing wrong. No arguing please! :p

I don't know anything about the older races, but out of the few full ones I saw, I liked Hungary 2011. It was more damp than full-on wet but it was still pretty good.

Wasn't Button's first win in Hungary a good race?/