Rumour Mill: Good news, everyone! It's the new Dacia MPV - Project J92!

This is a picture from the Fluence Z.E.:

renault-fluence-03.jpg

Only the americans need a special button to turn on cruise (because THINK OF THE CHILDREN driving cars), for the rest of us the set speed button fulfills that same function. Putting the cruise off button that far away from the actual cruise control however must be an afterthought. Cruise control is new to Dacia after all. But if the same button is in the same place on the Scenic, that can only be explained by intentional weirdness.

Aww, look at Dacia gettin all fancy and shit! :lol:

I realllly like this car. A lot. Well finished inside (the third row area finishing is commendable...i've seen several US Market CUV products with crappier 3rd row fit and finish like Toyota's RAV4) and it appears spacious. Simple yet not stripped of tech features families expect.

If it does well on EuroNCAP and it's attractively priced, why would one consider a more expensive "premium" MPV like the Grand Scenic?

Note to self: get sterrilised ASAP.

In some shots it even has chrome ringed instruments.

Ugh, MPVs have no place on this earth. Just bring back 8 seater esate/station wagons instead of vans with windows...

MPV's like this are modern day wagons. Rearward facing third row's limit people carrying flexability and are harder to get into than forward facing ones.

The Eagle Medallian had a forward facing one though...so :hmm:

No, wagons are the modern day wagons. Just 'cause Americans generally don't buy them doesn't mean they don't exist.

not saying they dont exist, but a lot of wagons these days are aimed a bit more upscale buyers than normal people, at least in america.

Only because your wagon offerings over there are extremely limited. You should have more wagons to choose from because they come in all levels for any person. Have a Clio SW.

Clio_Tourer_ID2176.jpg

Last edited:
Ugh, MPVs have no place on this earth. Just bring back 8 seater esate/station wagons instead of vans with windows...

Don't know about you but I wouldn't mind one of these:

vellfire_05.jpg

elgrand1.jpg

Also, MPVs are extremely popular in Asia because you can carry a lot of people and luggage around. Almost everyone there now buys some form of the "box-on-wheels" design.

Don't know about you but I wouldn't mind one of these:
elgrand1.jpg
Oh dear.

Anyway, I like small wagons quite a lot. I would even buy a Peugeot 207 Touring 'Outdoor'. "I can go off road, really, I promise. I have plastic wheel arches and everything!"
47935_2010_peugeot_207_touring_outdoor_01-4b77a9f22aa9c.jpg

I'd even forgive it for being a 207. So what if I could buy a Dualis/Qashtwat for the same money? They're not as adorably optimistic about their capabilities.

We need a new CrossPolo Variant!

Oh dear.

Anyway, I like small wagons quite a lot. I would even buy a Peugeot 207 Touring 'Outdoor'. "I can go off road, really, I promise. I have plastic wheel arches and everything!"
47935_2010_peugeot_207_touring_outdoor_01-4b77a9f22aa9c.jpg

I'd even forgive it for being a 207. So what if I could buy a Dualis/Qashtwat for the same money? They're not as adorably optimistic about their capabilities.

This is very sharp looking.

I find that the problem is that estates/wagons tend to be considerably lower and sleeker than their MPV counterparts.

MPVs are minivans, minivans are vans with windows. They are just so upright and square and boring, can't stand them. My Yaris is incredibly upright and boring, but is still more interesting then the vast majority of MPVs. I think my greatest annoyance is the people with 3 kids buy these because they seem to think their kids need two seats each.

The fuck? My parents had a 1990 Rover 214, a car that in the US would be considered a "compact car", fitted 2 kids with child seats and one without without just fine. Then again now-a-days people fit TVs in their cars for the kids. Back in my day (circa 2002!) you just had to read a book and run the risk of being violently sick... Kids these days... :rolleyes:

Of course it doesn't help that cars are so bloated with "safety" features it makes it hard to design a properly spacious estate car.

I find that the problem is that estates/wagons tend to be considerably lower and sleeker than their MPV counterparts.

MPVs are minivans, minivans are vans with windows. They are just so upright and square and boring, can't stand them. My Yaris is incredibly upright and boring, but is still more interesting then the vast majority of MPVs. I think my greatest annoyance is the people with 3 kids buy these because they seem to think their kids need two seats each.

The fuck? My parents had a 1990 Rover 214, a car that in the US would be considered a "compact car", fitted 2 kids with child seats and one without without just fine. Then again now-a-days people fit TVs in their cars for the kids. Back in my day (circa 2002!) you just had to read a book and run the risk of being violently sick... Kids these days... :rolleyes:

Of course it doesn't help that cars are so bloated with "safety" features it makes it hard to design a properly spacious estate car.

Safety sells. People want cars that they can more likely walk away from in a crash.

My brother and his GF are car shopping now. They have 2 kids and 2 dogs. Even not factoring the two dogs in, they want a larger sedan (they drive a 2005 Dodge Stratus sedan) to better separate the two kids. (My grandma owns a stratus..for a midsize, the center seat isn't necessarly huge) One is still in a booster seat and another is in a forward facing car seat.

They also want room for their dogs for some journeys. Another midsize sedan just wont work for them.

Sadly, she wants a CUV, despite the many benefits of a MPV/minivan: lower entry price, better to drive, sliding doors

Last edited:
Rick is going to be one of those 'all parent, all the time' people with one of those awfull "*rugrats name* on board" stickers on his grey babycrapcarrier....I can tell :p

This still looks absolutely fan-fucking-tastic. If I were in the market for an MPV this would instantly top my list. Simple, good looking but also cheap so you don't need to worry about it. Fortunately I'm not in the market for an MPV, though, and indeed the MPV is not a form of car usually assosiated with 'good', this almost makes it look appealing.

Apart from the nasty looking scratchy-scratchy plastic (you can just tell from looking at it can't you?)

If you want scratchy-scratchy plastic then come and sit in the Kangoo - that has 'textured polymer finish'. :lol:

Oi - I have a Zafira (well the Mrs has) and it has its moments thank you (Diesel Auto - rare in other cars of this type).

Yeah I'm sorry but that was the most horrific driving experience I've ever had. MPVs don't have to be as bad as the Zafira, but Vauxhall decided it should. :p