Good news! Yet another fast Golf is on the way! Kind of. We think.

Good news! Yet another fast Golf is on the way! Kind of. We think.

• Total voters
D

D-Fence

So this think was spotted round the Ring lately....it does have a Wiechers (tuner) sticker on it, but was accompanied by two official Volkswagen cars. Note the rollcage and the still camo'd spoiler.

So what do we have here?

A Golf GTI with some extra grunt probably. Might be presented at the W?rthersee show and aimed at taking the Ring record for FWD cars back from SEAT Leon Cupra.

Because the Golf GTI, GTI Performance Pack, GTI Edition 35 and Golf R weren't enough.

Let's speculate on names!

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting kinda BMW-y up in Wolfsburg.

Given the Wiechers sticker, roll cage and prototype aero pack (not really a camo spoiler; looks to be one that has been optimised for position but not for design yet - the design has relatively little effect once you've sorted the actual position - it being such a mahoosive type spoiler I would also guess at this being either rear or all wheel drive, too) I would guess at a prototype track/cup car, and not likely to be seen on the road. VW Sponsored possibly hence official cars accompanying it, but if it were an in-house vehicle it would surely have Wolfsburg plates...?

Last edited:
Given the Wiechers sticker, roll cage and prototype aero pack (not really a camo spoiler; looks to be one that has been optimised for position but not for design yet - the design has relatively little effect once you've sorted the actual position) I would guess at a prototype track/cup car, and not likely to be seen on the road. VW Sponsored possibly hence official cars accompanying it, but if it were an in-house vehicle it would surely have Wolfsburg plates...?

Doesn't need to, a lot of suppliers or engineering companies do testing for the OEM's, so they don't have the OEM plate but the supplier's town on.

Hmm not something I've ever heard of in the UK. And our company in China basically owns all the second tier companies anyway... :lol:

I stick by my thoughts of non-road track/cup car, though.

Well, Wiechers isn?t a tuning company. Their main business is manufacturing roll cages, strut braces, and some other stuff that people like me bolt into their low budget track cars. They are also not based in Braunschweig. Braunschweig is however right next to Wolfsburg...

if it were an in-house vehicle it would surely have Wolfsburg plates...?

BS as in Braunschweig is not only right next to Wolfsburg as noted by Ford, but is also a major VW location. There's VW Financial Services, VW Bank, and the oldest VW factory - older than Wolfsburg. Today they make stuff like suspension parts in Braunschweig - which is how BS could be quite a reasonable plate for an early tuned-up model.

Last edited:
Jepp, Braunschweig is the location of VWs ride & handling R&D department. They also make their own shocks there.

You saw it here first :)

4WD, 400hp, manual gearbox. Will be built.

Touch?, Volkswagen... :p

4wd, 400hp and manual? Yes. So much yes. No silly DSG, and I guess it will probably be their 4 cyl turbo, so yes some more :D

Touch?, Volkswagen... :p

4wd, 400hp and manual? Yes. So much yes. No silly DSG, and I guess it will probably be their 4 cyl turbo, so yes some more :D

... could very well also be the 5pot Turbo from the old Audi TT RS & RS3... tuning companies like ABT easily went over 400hp with that engine ... and that came with a manual in the TT (DSG as option) ...

Last edited:
Considering this concept is still about 1.5 years away from production (if ever), we'll have to wait a while for final power train infos.

The concept has a 2.0TFSI, my bet is the 400hp one will not be built but since we have seen rear spoiler testing already it is a teaser for a more poreful variant of the Golf R, a tracktoy kind of thing.

Yup, concept and another place I was reading say it's a 200hp/l version of the 2.0TFSI.

AFAIK VAG are safely getting 400-450hp from the 2.0 TFSI 4 pot. :)