Good Printers

cdbob

Car(s)
'09 STi (soon gone),'04 TDi, '96 MX-5 M
Hello, I am going to be using for assignments to do with music mainly. What brands/ models are good to get?

I like my Brother HL-2040 laser printer. Text is much sharper than inkjet printers and the toner lasts longer too.

Stay away from Epson. Far, FAR away.

Going for black&white only? Color? Tons of pages, or sporadic?

Black&White: Cheap laser.

Color: Dell Color Laser 3110CN (Networked)- Quiet, FAST, cheap.

Tons of pages: HP LaserJet (Networked/USB + SUPER cheap refurb cartridges).

I have a Dell color inkjet. No complaints, it works. HP color laser jets are also good.

Going for black&white only? Color? Tons of pages, or sporadic?

Black&White: Cheap laser.

X2.

Definitely stay away from Epson. And Lexmark, but I figure that didn't need to be said. Canon printers print nice until they wear out, which doesn't take very long.

I've always had good luck with HP inkjets, but if all you need is B&W, you can't beat an HP laserjet, IMO.

Print quality isn't usually much of an issue with most newer printers, but if nice, super crisp music printing (from Finale or Sibelius, I'm guessing?) is your top priority I'd recommend a laser.

I like Canon printers. Very good quality. I've had the same one for a few years now and it hasn't skipped a beat.

General printing, canon inkjet.

Black and White, HP laserjet - a couple of my friends use these for the endless pages we print at uni and they work well and the toner is about average in cost.

My EPSON (RX620 - Photo/all in one) is OK but bloody expensive on carts. I now always use JetTecs, 30% more ink and cheaper to buy, results are as good IMHO.

Last edited:
Why's that? I have an Epson C62. Cartridges are dirt-cheap because, at least for this printer, the cartridges are just dumb boxes with ink. Draft quality grayscale prints are stupidly fast.

Assuming "assignments to do with music" means "musical scores and theory" and you don't need to print any colour, a B&W laser is probably best.

One thing to consider: HP probably makes the worst suite of printer drivers known to man. That's the #1 reason I stay away from any other their products. I switched our household to Brother and the drivers and software are excellent.

Yup, HP printers are garbage. They're slow, eat ink and the cartridges are horking expensive.

I've had meh experiences with epson printers. My dad swears by them (but that's mostly because UCSD gets a major discount with the company), and some of the printers they make aren't that bad.

I have an epson atm, the CX4800. And I have to say by far that it is the WORST printer I've ever had. I mainly use it for scanning documents (after I've signed some form or if I make a doodle and want to import into photoshop). Otherwise the color sucks, the print speed sucks (takes forever...you could read war and peace twice over before it finishes printing your 1 page black and white document).

That said, I'd go with Canon or Dell if you want something simple and cheap. Don't go epson unless you know what you're doing, don't go HP unless your insane, and DEFINITELY don't go lexmark unless you think purple is a flavor.

Prolly something like this would be good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828102259

My EPSON is OK but bloody expensive on carts. I now always use JetTecs now.

I've had fairly good experiences with Epson. A few years ago my dad got a C42 with a new PC (which is an OK printer for text) and a couple of years ago I got a C64 Photo, which broke and got replaced under warranty by a Photo R300 (nice photo quality printer, with direct CD printing)

I also go down the JetTec route, tried the refills and flashing the chips on the carts, but it's a pain in the arse and that's what killed the C64.

Epsons are known to CHEAT you on cartridges, clog the ink-lines, and just fail for no reason. They also shake like a mother fucker, so make sure to bolt down your desk and all items on it..

Stay away!

I have an epson atm, the CX4800. And I have to say by far that it is the WORST printer I've ever had. I mainly use it for scanning documents (after I've signed some form or if I make a doodle and want to import into photoshop).
Well, there's you're problem: it's an all-in-one. I've never come across one of those stupid things that actually works properly.

We have a Brother all-in-one and it works great. Not super fast but it was fairly cheap too.

+1 for Canon printers, been using my Pixma for printing documents and pictures, haven't had a problem for the past 3 years. And even when the ink is "low" I still usually print until the colour really starts fading..

-1 for HP printers, noisy, slow and you have to change the ink cartridges monthly which isn't exactly cheap.