Google just took a massive dump on your Xboxstation (other consoles are also obselete).

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
I tried out a couple such services - this isn’t a threat to actual in home consoles for most games. As victor noted, the latency is a killer - you absolutely cannot be competitive against actual console users in any racing game, first person shooter, or anything else that relies on fast player action. About the only thing this is good for is things like vanilla Minecraft and turn based strategy games.

Not to mention the bandwidth required for HD textures at decent framerate

Even if you ignore that, the video compression that existing services use, while better than Google's YouTube, is still lossy and bad enough to render users uncompetitive and some games even become unplayable.

You know Google's going to use something based off YouTube's video compression - which means that it'll be far, far worse, to the point where (say) in an FPS, you may not even be able to see your opponent before he kills you. When the opponent is standing in the open, not behind cover, no less.

I've seen some of these advertised and it seems like an interesting idea but like others have said any latency is going to ruin your experience. I replaced my TV because it had too much input lag to enjoy playing Forza so I don't think it would be for me.

I'm not going to switch over. I was without internet for a few days but still able to play Red Dead II, plus, this whole "you don't buy the game, you buy a license that can be taken away at any time" model is 31 flavors of horse shit.

Plus, I have zero faith in Google sticking with this project. I swear the executives over there are like a cracked out ADHD ferret in a room full of Christmas ornaments. They can't even pick a messenger service to stick with. Everything they do other than YouTube, Gmail, Search, and ads has been a cluster fuck of false starts, abandonment, and rebranding. No way am I going to invest $60 per game into a platform that stands a very good chance of being abandoned and shut down - especially for a streaming type service where I can't even dust off an obsolete console to play my old games.

I'm not going to switch over. I was without internet for a few days but still able to play Red Dead II, plus, this whole "you don't buy the game, you buy a license that can be taken away at any time" model is 31 flavors of horse shit.

Plus, I have zero faith in Google sticking with this project. I swear the executives over there are like a cracked out ADHD ferret in a room full of Christmas ornaments. They can't even pick a messenger service to stick with. Everything they do other than YouTube, Gmail, Search, and ads has been a cluster fuck of false starts, abandonment, and rebranding. No way am I going to invest $60 per game into a platform that stands a very good chance of being abandoned and shut down - especially for a streaming type service where I can't even dust off an obsolete console to play my old games.
I remember reading a post somewhere by an alleged Googler who basically said the only way to advance at Google is to launch something, which tracks very well with all these products/services launching and then languishing for years until they get shut down.

P.S. What happened to your internet?

Last edited:

This is insulting!

Youtube is also shit, and Gmail had a better successor in Inbox and that one is being killed soon, IIRC :p

Joking aside yes; I give this thing about 18 months until they quietly close it, make two more apps with partial functionality or they just stop updating it.

Unfortunately no amount of tech and clever programming will make light (or electricity) go faster and the latency is just a killer for this kind of idea. I guess it'll work fine for some cities in the US, depending where they'll set up their servers (other than obvious California), but as little as 80-100 ms latency and it makes your experience pretty crappy.

A week has passed after the launch... just wow. When was the last time Google released something this bad?

Who would have thought this was a bad idea? Streaming a game is not the same as streaming video.

Can't people understand the internet speed is not a factor here? Sure, better internet might give you less packet loss perhaps. But still they're electrical signals. They still have to travel to and from the server to you. The only way this type of gaming platform would work is if there were servers literally within at most 500 miles of any given player at a time.

It's not like they're even the first ones to try this. Or the second. Or the third.

At this point, it looks like Google shit their pants because they couldn't make it to the bathroom in time.