Google Maps to launch "Motorcycle Mode"

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
Interesting.
Hope it rolls out soon.

That would be awesome. Although i'm very curious to see what's so different for motorcycles compared to cars.

To think of it, i'm member of the Maps beta and am already running this 9.66. I see nothing different or new for motorcycles.

Last edited:
Why?

Because Calimoto is a routing planner website/app specializing on motorcycle routing. And Google giving everyone similar functionality within the navigation app that everyone already has installed anyway can't be good for business.

That would be awesome. Although i'm very curious to see what's so different for motorcycles compared to cars.

To think of it, i'm member of the Maps beta and am already running this 9.66. I see nothing different or new for motorcycles.

If it's anything like support for displaying current speed limit signs while in navigation mode, it'll be geo restricted to the Silicon Valley area.

I doubt they are willing to match the functionality of an app like Scenic. So it probably won't be a touring app, but could be interesting for the daily commute.

Since Google is based in the Bay Area, it will likely be routes and travel times that accommodate the use of HOV lanes and lane-sharing. Outside California, I doubt it will be very useful if that is all it does.

If, on the other hand, they use their software to find excellent riding roads, that could make touring trip planning much easier.