Got problems with my wireless network, need help!

airmenair

Ok, I'll give you a brief description of whats going on and if you need more info to help diagnose the problem, I'll supply it.

Basically I have a linksys WRT54G wireless router and I just got my new laptop. The router is putting out a signal and I'm able to connect to it on the laptop but I can't access the internet. Every time I type in an address I either get "Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage" or "Address Invalid" but my internet works on the desktop, help!

He mentioned the routers signal, so I assume he's connecting with the laptop wirelessly.

Do you have the laptop set to obtain an IP automatically? Are you able to even share files or see the PCs in My Network Places?

Yes I am trying to connect wirelessly. I went to the options menu and changed it to automatically detect IP but I could only figure out how to do it for LAN connections. Is there somewhere else I have to change it for wireless?

Your wireless is technically a LAN connection. Sounds to me like 1 of 2 things,

You aren't getting your DNS settings properly or far more likely,

Your WEP/WPA key isnt entered properly. If you have the key mistyped, the computer will show your wireless as conncted, but will deny you an IP address. To check for this;

Go to start
Click Run
Type in CMD
Type in ipconfig /all
If your IP address = 169.0.0.0 or anything starting with a 169, you arent getting an IP address from your router. Try retyping the key again and reconnect

Your wireless is technically a LAN connection. Sounds to me like 1 of 2 things,

You aren't getting your DNS settings properly or far more likely,

Your WEP/WPA key isnt entered properly. If you have the key mistyped, the computer will show your wireless as conncted, but will deny you an IP address. To check for this;

Go to start
Click Run
Type in CMD
Type in ipconfig /all
If your IP address = 169.0.0.0 or anything starting with a 169, you arent getting an IP address from your router. Try retyping the key again and reconnect

WEP/WPA key is correct, my IP address is that of the router and it says that I am connected to the internet, just can't get any website to come up. I think it has something to do with the DNS.

I think I might have some idea on what it might be. When I'm on the linksys setup screen it asks for a host name and domain name that I have to get from my ISP, I have that blank now because I don't know what it is. Could that be the problem? Where can I get that information?

Also, keep in mind that I'm not very good with this kind of thing so start with simple things even if you think there is no way I could be that stupid and not have addressed it or whatever. Computers aren't my bag! :p

if your desktop is getting out to the internet then it isn't that. What IP address did you get? actually all of this info would be good:
IP Address,
Subnet mask
Default gateway:
Dns Servers:

If you can send me that i can help you diagnose further.

if your desktop is getting out to the internet then it isn't that. What IP address did you get? actually all of this info would be good:
IP Address,
Subnet mask
Default gateway:
Dns Servers:

Yes, please post that info here (it's just your local IP, so it's safe to post in case you're worried for some reason).

I suggest manually putting in DNS servers. A couple good ones are: