Got to try the new Audi Virtual Cockpit interface

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2017 Kia Niro, 2015 911 Turbo
So I had to drop off the S4 at the dealership to have something looked at, I requested a B9 A4 as a loaner so I could get a free test drive, imagine to my surprise I got a nearly fully loaded 2.0T with the Virtual cockpit option.

Initial thoughts:
While we all groaned at how ugly and backwards the tacked on ipad like MMI screen looks, sitting in the car first hand, the MMI interface is improved in every way to me. The new MMI controls, while simplified are easy to use and integrated well with steering wheel controls.

The virtual cockpit is awesome and everything including switching screens is easily handled with steering wheel buttons. Really nice high res display with smooth animations. Everything with the UI and displays really feels like a modern step forward in cabin tech

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Took a quick video of the virtual cockpit display in motion

Last edited by a moderator:

NecroJoe

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
It's actually quite nice, and it's only distracting while you are playing with it.

My *only* negative I had on it in my super short time with one was that if a valet happens to turn off your headlights, it won't be super obvious that your lights don't automatically turn on, because your whole instrument panel is lit up. It's not like in "older" cars where your dash would seem dark.

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
To me that is too distracting.
Yeah, I can understand how it can be hard to deal with for an older generation of people who are less used to things like smartphone & tablet displays.

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pour
DONOR
Car(s)
'01 Disco 2 V8, '90 Disco 1, '05 Smart Roadster
Yeah, I can understand how it can be hard to deal with for an older generation of people who are less used to things like smartphone & tablet displays.
Not sure if it was intended, but.

I think it looks great, it's natural to glance down at the dials and back up so to me putting it there is the most sensible option. Once HUDs are perfected or we all have information projected directly on to our retinas then dials below the eyeline should be banned but until then it's the most natural compromise. I honestly can't see how older people would struggle with this, it's right where you've looked throughout your driving life. Controls, on the other hand, are a different story.

rickhamilton620

has a fetish for terrible cars
Car(s)
2012 Kia Forte EX
Once HUDs are perfected or we all have information projected directly on to our retinas then dials below the eyeline should be banned but until then it's the most natural compromise.
Strongly disagree - You'll have to pull my classy minimalist chrome ringed dials from my cold dead hands. I mean just look at these classy clusters:

Current Fusion/Mondeo mid-level cluster (at least in the US):

Last gen Accord:

2015 Lexus LS:

Current Passat (USDM) uplevel cluster:

Tasteful thin trim rings (optionally in chrome), clean fonts, white backlighting = perfection my friend. Who wants a crappy HUD the size of a index card with a ugly hump on the dash top? Not me, that's for sure.

Eunos_Cosmo

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'84 Mazda RX7, '12 Mazda 2, '99 Porsche Boxster
I'm alright with digital instrument clusters.

I'm not alright with digital instrument clusters imitating analog instrument clusters. You can do anything you want with it, and you choose to design a set of fake dials?! C'mon, use your imagination Audi.

bone

"bangle for president"
DONOR
Car(s)
Volvo V40 & Yamaha Banshee
I'm alright with digital instrument clusters.

I'm not alright with digital instrument clusters imitating analog instrument clusters. You can do anything you want with it, and you choose to design a set of fake dials?! C'mon, use your imagination Audi.
you want a binary representation of the RPM you are doing? or you prefer a blue blob that's lighter or darker in color for higher or lower rpm? or what did you have in mind?
there is nothing better and easier to read than a dial...