Got to try the new Audi Virtual Cockpit interface

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, Tesla Model Y
So I had to drop off the S4 at the dealership to have something looked at, I requested a B9 A4 as a loaner so I could get a free test drive, imagine to my surprise I got a nearly fully loaded 2.0T with the Virtual cockpit option.

27517838013_a98ea16fec_c.jpg

Initial thoughts:
While we all groaned at how ugly and backwards the tacked on ipad like MMI screen looks, sitting in the car first hand, the MMI interface is improved in every way to me. The new MMI controls, while simplified are easy to use and integrated well with steering wheel controls.

27517836613_6c6791d14b_c.jpg

The virtual cockpit is awesome and everything including switching screens is easily handled with steering wheel buttons. Really nice high res display with smooth animations. Everything with the UI and displays really feels like a modern step forward in cabin tech

28133582135_8fe996a706_c.jpg

28133578285_bb0d28f75f_c.jpg

28133577365_be119da035_c.jpg

Took a quick video of the virtual cockpit display in motion

Last edited by a moderator:
It's actually quite nice, and it's only distracting while you are playing with it.

My *only* negative I had on it in my super short time with one was that if a valet happens to turn off your headlights, it won't be super obvious that your lights don't automatically turn on, because your whole instrument panel is lit up. It's not like in "older" cars where your dash would seem dark.

To me that is too distracting.
Yeah, I can understand how it can be hard to deal with for an older generation of people who are less used to things like smartphone & tablet displays.

Yeah, I can understand how it can be hard to deal with for an older generation of people who are less used to things like smartphone & tablet displays.

Not sure if it was intended, but.

3874326947_c9c3d0d648.jpg

I think it looks great, it's natural to glance down at the dials and back up so to me putting it there is the most sensible option. Once HUDs are perfected or we all have information projected directly on to our retinas then dials below the eyeline should be banned but until then it's the most natural compromise. I honestly can't see how older people would struggle with this, it's right where you've looked throughout your driving life. Controls, on the other hand, are a different story.

Once HUDs are perfected or we all have information projected directly on to our retinas then dials below the eyeline should be banned but until then it's the most natural compromise.

Strongly disagree - You'll have to pull my classy minimalist chrome ringed dials from my cold dead hands. I mean just look at these classy clusters:

Current Fusion/Mondeo mid-level cluster (at least in the US):

oZcHgDj.jpg

Last gen Accord:

ezaxrQ8.jpg

2015 Lexus LS:

KZqC0Q8.jpg

Current Passat (USDM) uplevel cluster:

doCgW40.jpg

Tasteful thin trim rings (optionally in chrome), clean fonts, white backlighting = perfection my friend. Who wants a crappy HUD the size of a index card with a ugly hump on the dash top? Not me, that's for sure.

I'm alright with digital instrument clusters.

I'm not alright with digital instrument clusters imitating analog instrument clusters. You can do anything you want with it, and you choose to design a set of fake dials?! C'mon, use your imagination Audi.

I'm alright with digital instrument clusters.

I'm not alright with digital instrument clusters imitating analog instrument clusters. You can do anything you want with it, and you choose to design a set of fake dials?! C'mon, use your imagination Audi.

you want a binary representation of the RPM you are doing? or you prefer a blue blob that's lighter or darker in color for higher or lower rpm? or what did you have in mind?
there is nothing better and easier to read than a dial...