Gracepoint (US remake of Broadchurch)

stiggie

pop
Car(s)
Golf GTI
The trailer for Gracepoint has been released and having watched it my first thought is- why did they bother?

They may as well have just aired Broadchurch.

Thats kinda what I was thinking. Supposedly it will end differently, but still. A lot of that trailer seems like a shot-for-shot remake.

why did they bother?

They may as well have just aired Broadchurch.

Because no foreign show would make it on a major network and get enough ratings to survive. The US is too big of a market to be forced to import shows from other countries. We can afford to just remake great ideas and cater to our own audiences.

The Office is a great example of this. You could argue that they should have just aired the UK version here but it never would have taken off. Too many references and things that wouldn't make sense to us. Meanwhile the remake was critically acclaimed and made much more money, ratings, awards, etc. than the original did. That doesn't make it better than the original from a quality level, only a success level.

There's those of us who like shows like Top Gear, Doctor Who, etc. but we are the exception, not the norm. Pacing and stuff is also really odd for foreign shows. I can't stand watching Doctor Who for example -- I found it just drag on and on so slowly. I got bored 10 minutes into the first episode.

Last edited:
The Office was changed enough for the remake to be worthwhile though. Gracepoint is going to be the same story, the same number of episodes, the same dialogue (it seems) and even the same actor playing the lead role.

BTW, what do the Americans here think of David Tennant's accent? It seems a little off to me.

BTW, what do the Americans here think of David Tennant's accent? It seems a little off to me.

Most English actors when attempting an American voice make Dick Van Dyke sound like the master of accents. It is odd sounding. At least he didn't try sounding like John Wayne.

Last edited: