Gran Turismo 4 Lap Times

^even if you had the cash, a wing is just cosmetic IMO, it doesn't help the handling at all

^even if you had the cash, a wing is just cosmetic IMO, it doesn't help the handling at all

Oh you couldn't be further from the truth :lol:
Buy a wing, go into the car settings and play with the downforce settings. You can adjust the front and rear downforce. I usually put both all the way up, but if your car is understeering/oversteering you can play with the settings to balance the handling a little. The wing definitely helps cornering and keeps the car more stable.

feck! you mean the crappy wings you have in the GT Auto actually WORK?
I didn't know that! I thought they were just for show.
I knew you could play with the downforce settings in a "pre-winged" car, but I never knew this!

does the shape of the wing actually make a difference?

Ok people finally found that half second I was talking about in the last post.

New time is 1:52.714 in the 1993 Mazda Rx-7

Ok people finally found that half second I was talking about in the last post.

New time is 1:52.714 in the 1993 Mazda Rx-7

Booooooooooo. Just kidding, nice time. If I wasn't in the middle of moving into a new apartment, surely i'd be able to give you some competition.

The best I got was 1.55.121 in the Supra RZ.

I checked again and the Supra RZ '97 (turbo) was $15,000 but there was also a Supra SZR (NA) for $17,000 so I don't know what's going on there. Just luck I guess.

The 1.55 I posted for the S15 was over the $20k limit, I was in the 56's for that car.

And a tip (even though I'm obviously in no position to give advice!): I found I could take the first, long hairpin faster by running the car against the outside wall. Sounds crazy but I've found it to be a pretty good technique on some rally tracks. Sucks that you can go faster by slamming into walls, not really a "real driving simulator"!

Edit: I got a 154.456 in a GT-R32 N

Last edited:
I managed a 1:55.350 using a 1992 RX-7 with weight reduction 1, read wing and stage 2 exhaust (or whatever it's called, the middle one). Hardly brilliant but at least it's something. There would be plenty of improvement but sadly I'm running out of time...

Last edited:
My 1993 RX-7 had a stage 1 weight reduction, stage 1 exhaust, chip and sports intercooler.

That must be just short of the 20k limit... I recall counting and calculating and coming to the conclusion that the 92 RX-7 and those mods would have gone exactly and precisely two credits over the budget :p

Anyway, I suppose it's down to you Necx0 to come up with new formula.

Something cheap, if I may request, I'm less than a week into the game at this point and don't have massive budgets :p

Just to give peace of mind haha

1992 RX-7 13,684
Stage 1 Weight 1,200
Chip 1,500
Intercooler 1,800
Exhaust 1,600
Oil change 50
Total: 19,834

Ok I will have a think :) Something like F1 cars on the 'Ring perhaps then??:p Jokes people I am not that silly

Ah, finally I have internet! My best time ended up being 1'44:706 with the 2.5t supra. Not that it matters, since this race is over and it's not the fastest anyway. Maybe we should have a competition that focuses a little more on tuning? Just throwing ideas out.

:jawdrop: 1.44s? Okaaaay *backs away from thread with 1.55 laptimes*

:w00t:

Djeez... You scare people away with times like that.

And with the Supra of all things? I removed Supra from my potential cars list fairly early on as I assumed it would be too heavy for a track like El capitan. It's over 1500kgs isn't it?

e: hansvonaxion, you're propably right. Still, an impressive time with the Supra.

for the next challenge, can we have something super budget friendly? I always loved those econoboxes, they really handle if you put some money into them

maybe we should split things up : max X credits for the car, max Y credits for the mods
that way we can play with the mods a bit more. Say 5k for the car and 15k in mods? :p

You can't really get anything interesting for 5k though... From the top of my head there's the japanese fwd minis (of which I recon the Honda City Turbo is by far and away the fastest), the Honda Beat (painfully slow) and Toyota whatsitsname(the thing drifters use, embarrassingly I can't remember the name).

Putting a cap for the car price might not be a bad idea (as long as you can still spend the extra from that on extra mods), it would move the focus towards picking the right upgrades as ja404 said. The budget could perhaps be higher, though. Something like 40k total budget and 15k cap on car price?

You can't really get anything interesting for 5k though...

yeah that was the whole point really :) 5k was just a suggestion though.
Can't you get a Pug 205 or something for less?

the thing would be entirely about tuning, as in, which options give you the most hp/credit. I used a system when I was starting GT4 and I had little money, I would usually get a suspension upgrade, a chip, and a turbo or tyres (if I had money left)

I was amazed that the relatively cheap suspension mods can make a car SO much quicker, rather than just adding more power. Sure you'll lose any dragrace, but you pwn everyone in the corners

Japanese Kei cars? Honda Beat, Suzuki Cappuccino etc up to 660cc.

Or perhaps we could all use the same car? One that we can win for free easily, then spend money on tuning.

Just suggestions.

I'm easy.