Gran Turismo 4 Lap Times

I'd rather start it now since there was no spec on the one week marker. Mainly since it means there would be no weekend on this cycle (which, at least to me, is the prime time for this sort of thing)

I'd rather start it now since there was no spec on the one week marker. Mainly since it means there would be no weekend on this cycle (which, at least to me, is the prime time for this sort of thing)

I second this.

thirded. I hardly have ANY time to play, so weekends are a great excuse to fire up GT4 for a couple of hours

Ok first times on the board. After trawling through the used cars and some testing laps of various machines I was hoping one would be clearly superior. Unfortunately they were all pretty much the same. Still I stuck with the S15 Silvia as it was the nicest to drive and the mods took it to I shit you not 20,000Cr exactly.

Anyway managed a 1:54.303 to get things rolling.

Oh by the way I say make oil changes free, every car is going to need one so might as well just forget about them.

EDIT: Lowered to a 1:53.420

EDIT#2: Make that a 1:53.017

Last edited:
damn, again under 2 minutes so soon. Gotta fire up GT4 again soon, but first I need to find a way to pry the controller from the wife's hands.... never thought she would be this into gaming

Yea I had a go last night. GTR: crap, GTR v-spec: even more crap. I think I tried an s13 as well, and that didn't go too hot either. Right now I think i'm in the 1'55.xxx range, can't remember.

Meh, looks like I'm out of the game for the time being. I managed to corrupt my save and I'm back to square 1. Oh joy...

I wouldn't mind joining in here but a few things are a hindrance...

1. I'm a crap driver (only just got my top level licence - never could crack the last 'ring lap)

2. I don't have a wheel and find the controller a real pain in the arse - too sensitive (would be good if people could mention if they're using a wheel or not)

3. I'm using a Japanese version and don't know exactly how the credits line up (pretty sure it's 100/1) especially now everything's more secretive

4. I'm old and don't have the patience to do more than a few laps in the same car

But having said that, I tried El Captain in an S15 and just cracked 1.55 (with an off on every lap!), but I think I was just over the 20,000 limit.

Tried some older cars but had trouble even cracking 2.05.

Well I use the pad but I have been playing Gran Turismo using controllers for about 10 years now (argh!!) so I guess I am used to it!!

My S15 was pretty much bang on the 20,000Cr limit so if you post up your mods??? I can tell you how similar it is??

If you are doing 1:55's you sure aren't that slow.

Actually, now I think about it, I may have been a lot over the limit! Can't remember how much I bought it for, but I added super hard slicks (8,000ish) and sports suspension (3,000ish) only. Will have another check. Problem is, there's no way to check how much you paid for the car originally, right? Checking the value of used cars in the garage, they all come in way lower than purchase price. Means you have to start from scratch and buy a new car each time!

Tried a WRX STi (which I'm pretty sure was under the limit) but couldn't get much under 2.00.

Oh, one more thing is the ghost car, I don't know how to turn it off!
Annoys the hell out of me.

Haha ok I think you are right, you are WAY over the limit (well not that much) those mods would put you at about 25,000Cr. For example when I bought the S15 (second hand, not new obviously) I had just enough money to put on a set of sport softs. That left no more money for any other mods. As the tyres only gave me another second and a half I scrapped that idea and went for POWAH!!!! This gave good results but thought I would scrap some power and try some suspension. Putting the new suspension in did basically nothing for the lap time so got rid of that and went with the power mods and trying to get the most out of the car.

As for the value, just write down what you paid for it when you buy it in the used car garage. As for getting rid of ghost car mine is the digital up button. Look for it in settings or just hit every button.

Finally I managed to shave off another thousandth :p to 1:53.016. If someone beats that they have won I think because I can't make that car go any faster. I can get another 0.250 in the first sector so the car will go faster but I don't know what I did on that lap, because I can't get anywhere near it in the second or third sector. Might give the RX-7 a bash but doubt it will be any quicker.

I did the "get an S15 but with softer tyres" option aswell but it failed on me.
then I got a WRX Subaru, but even that hardly went that fast.

2.00.971 is my current best lap, although I have to say I only did a couple of laps. I always get the slower corners wrong, either brake way too soon or too late. there's a couple of 2nd gear corners I always mess up the entry. This is one track where the right line is SO important, especially the first couple of corners...

Also, hansvonaxion :

- I've yet to complete the superlicence test (currently stuck at that insane rallytrack where I always go off)
- controller here too :wave:
- I'm not patient either, anything more than 5 laps and I get bored (unless its in a race and I have other people/ AI to beat)
- I only bought my PS2 in september so I have got a LOT to learn still

Still, i'm not giving up until I beat the 2 minute barrier. Had a go in a souped up Subaru racecar and did 1.46ish with little trouble so it IS possible

I tried the Subaru as well, after a couple of laps got a 2:00.500ish so the pace is about right. The Rexie just sucks bad.

I haven't tried an STI on this yet, but probably won't. I came across a nice TME EVO that worked fairly well and a nice EVO VII as well. I think my fastest time is with an old supra. Haven't come across any turbo S15's yet, though I have come across something rather rare that might just do the trick.

Also, I am using the d-pad (with automatic).

Yeh tried the 2.5 twin turbo Supra. Was quick stock but the same mods (and more) that I had on the S15 (got the supra for $11,500) didn't make it go much quicker. Got about a 1:55 in it. The other option is an Rx-7 so might give that a bash.

The RZ Supra is what I was talking about, maybe I missed something, but chip and exhaust and I was close to 360hp, seemed pretty damned fast to me.

Oh, and the up (or down) button works for turning off the ghost car, thanks for the tip.

Oh, and the up (or down) button works for turning off the ghost car, thanks for the tip.

awesome tip. For some reason I always look at the ghost car for where to brake... but since the ghost car is me, and I'm crap, I usually brake far too early or far too late :cool:

Yeh the big problem with the ghost car is that you always try and stay ahead of it. Which is a mistake as sometimes you need to go slower to go faster.

The only Supra RZ I can find for under 20,000 is the non turbo one. So not sure whats going on there. Tried an Evo V which was quick-ish but nothing under 1:53.500.

Good news is that the Rx-7 will be the new record holder if I can get a clean lap. Currently at 1:53.272 and there is another half a second in it at least. Trouble is it is so damn oversteery that stopping it sliding is a real mission. If only I could buy a wing but don't have enough cash!!!