Gran Turismo 4 Lap Times

yeah that was the whole point really :) 5k was just a suggestion though.
Can't you get a Pug 205 or something for less?
From the top of my head I don't rememnber seeing anything else than what I mentioned. Actually, I don't remember seeing any 205s in used car lots.

The thing about going so cheap is that

the thing would be entirely about tuning, as in, which options give you the most hp/credit. I used a system when I was starting GT4 and I had little money, I would usually get a suspension upgrade, a chip, and a turbo or tyres (if I had money left)

I was amazed that the relatively cheap suspension mods can make a car SO much quicker, rather than just adding more power. Sure you'll lose any dragrace, but you pwn everyone in the corners

It would indeed be entirely about tuning, I'll grant you that, but if the budget for car is too low it'll end up being effectively a single car race since choice for car is very limited (for 5k it's effectively the city turbo or the toyota I mentioned earlier). On the 10k round pretty much everyone went for the Silvia quite soon. On 20k we had at least some variety, with people posting times with RX7s, Supras and, to lesser extent, Skylines and Silvias.

hrm... I think no matter what limits we put on there, there'll always be a car that's clearly superior.

Maybe if we add an extra rule, like "no Japanese cars" or "only cars before 1995" ?

Not necessarily. The Silvia might have been superior in 10k but the Supra wasn't that far off the pace on 20k. And with the bigger budget there was some room to pick the mods you liked, while the Silvia took most of one's budget and there wasn't much to choose from as far as upgrades went.

Haha, yea sorry about that. 1'54, not 1'44. What if you were allowed to purchase suspension without counting towards the credit limit? Then a car/other parts budget. Chime in here Necx0.

Here I am!! Haha I have been thinking today. The only definite thing I have decided on is that we will be on "Road" tyres.

I was thinking an 80's rear wheel drive challenge. Any car can be chosen provided it was made between 1980-1989. Then a modification limit of.......15,000Cr?? Or would 20,000 be better?

The tyre rule should put the dampeners on the power junkies :p

Hmm... Are all cars allowed? Including Group B rally cars and Group C sports cars? (can you even get road tires to those?)

That aside, sounds cool. Can't wait to get home from work and start tinkering...

hmmm, this is interesting. Handling over power.

What track will we doing this?

Hmm... Are all cars allowed? Including Group B rally cars and Group C sports cars? (can you even get road tires to those?)

That aside, sounds cool. Can't wait to get home from work and start tinkering...

Do you want to make it "street cars" if we're gonna be on "road tyres"?

Give us a track and I'll have a go on the weekend.

Do you want to make it "street cars" if we're gonna be on "road tyres"?

I'd like to make it street cars, full stop, regardless of the tyres. If racing cars are allowed everyone is basically going to use the group C monsters which are going to be the fastest (which I obviously complain about since I don't have any of those :cry:)

Mind you, I could imagine driving the group C monsters with road tyres would be a rather erm... interesting, shall we say :lol:

^ interesting, you say. I'd say batshit insane. I find it hard enough to control those beasts on racing tyres, especially if you go around modding them.

if we take things one step further, we can always fit "economy" tyres that would make the handling positively crap :lol:

Ah yes sorry should have clarified that. How about saying it has to be found in the second hand lots, that eliminates the race cars, although if you want to use a Group C on road tyres then go for it, I can't see it being quick haha :p

Ok.

80's challenge. Any rear wheel drive car with 15,000Cr modification budget.

Tyres MUST be the best road tyres (there are three types, use the best ones).

Track is Trial Mountain :) I will put up some times later today. Week starts now

Interesting competition for sure. There are surprisingly few cars that fit this description, only about 20.

Yeh I thought "Hey the GT-R will monster this" but then realised I had shot myself in the foot by only allowing rear wheel drives :p Big Skids people!!!

Oh and oil changes are free.

Ok first time on the board. I used every cent of the 15,000Cr budget (literally every cent) and have a 1:39.886.

Last edited:
Ah yes sorry should have clarified that. How about saying it has to be found in the second hand lots, that eliminates the race cars, although if you want to use a Group C on road tyres then go for it, I can't see it being quick haha :p

Ok.

80's challenge. Any rear wheel drive car with 15,000Cr modification budget.

Tyres MUST be the best road tyres (there are three types, use the best ones).

Track is Trial Mountain :) I will put up some times later today. Week starts now

You know from time to time one of those Group C race cars will pop up in the used car lot, for about $200,000. Black one, can't remember off the top of my head what it is.

Sorry, just to clarify, road tyres you mean sport or ordinary? I'm guessing you mean ordinary cos they're free but if you mean sport, I assume that doesn't count toward modification cost.

yeh the Black Sauber C9 would qualify. However thats a very unlikely occurence.

And yes tyres are the standard ordinary ones. They should be called "Standard-Road"

aaw... rwd only means I can't take the Honda City Turbo for another spin. Why didn't you just specify 2wd :p

I'll try to find time for a few laps later today.

Well there's definitely no black C9, and all the black Group C cars are 90's cars. Do the road tires come out of the 15000 budget?

Well there's definitely no black C9, and all the black Group C cars are 90's cars. Do the road tires come out of the 15000 budget?

They don't cost anything in the shop.

I had a quick go and have to say, good fun this challenge. Plenty of slithering about on those tyres :D

For the record my time was 1:47.571 with a Nissan 300ZX but it was in zero budget state, with only oil and tyres changed.

Black C9? That means it's from either '87 or '88, because AFAIK that's when they had AEG Olympia liveries. Which were black.

There are some racing cars in GT4 that are just plain black with no racing liveries. At least Toyota GT1 and one of the group C Nissans IIRC. Someone posted a picture earlier in this thread (about page 5 or so).