Gran Turismo 4 Lap Times

Yeah I was thinking of the Toyota RC92(?), which is all black and can be bought in the garage but is a 90's model. There's the Minolta RC89(?) which is 80's but can't be bought in the garage.

I did a 1.23 or so with the RC89, but I'm in the 1.50's with an allowable car (just tried a few laps). Knocking 20-30 seconds off my lap won't be easy!

Sorry about the confusion with tyres, like I said I'm using a Japanese version and forgot what they were called. "Normal" tyres have "economy", "comfort" and "street". I think we're using street (N3).

Well there's definitely no black C9, and all the black Group C cars are 90's cars. Do the road tires come out of the 15000 budget?

Yeh my apologies I was thinking of the R92CP not the C9. Works out well as it means no-one can use one haha As Hazardous said tyres are free so its a moot point.

Black C9? That means it's from either '87 or '88, because AFAIK that's when they had AEG Olympia liveries. Which were black.

Will you please stop showing off in every single thread, it gets very wearing.

You are right Hazardous, its a lot of fun. The problem now is stopping those slides as they are so much damn fun!!! Everytime I go round the right hander after the tunnel its 2nd gear, full throttle, opposite lock DORIFTO!!!!!:lol:

EDIT: Changed the car setup a bit, ironically using less money but makes it go faster. New time is 1:38.794

Last edited:
I didn't realize those tires were free, probably because I never had a reason to buy them :lol:

I had one attempt at this earlier on today. Right now i'm in the 1'42.xxx range, and though I haven't tried spending less money, i'm definitely faster with less power (370 hp only gets me 1'44.xxx). I'll have to start toying around with the other cars as well.

I'm guessing everyone is using the 300ZX at the moment??

I did some mods on the car, Jezza style (POWAAH) and got my time down to 1:42.211.

Necx0, you just drift around the righthander? Hell, I'm powersliding the Nissan around pretty much every corner on the track. Sort of explains why I'm 2? seconds behind, doesn't it :p

Need to try some handling mods after work today (or tomorrow), and perhaps another car as well...

damn... again these times scare me a lot...

damn... again these times scare me a lot...

I've tried quite a few cars and most are high 40's, early 50's. I think I did get the 300zx (seems the best option) down to around 43 or maybe 42 something but it isn't easy.

I hate this challenge. :mad:

Oh, is there a way of choosing manual... I think I just remembered as I typed that, it's in the options menu, right? I find that some low powered cars just sit in a high gear when I think they should change down, want to give it a shot.

Oh, is there a way of choosing manual... I think I just remembered as I typed that, it's in the options menu, right? I find that some low powered cars just sit in a high gear when I think they should change down, want to give it a shot.

Yep, in the options. I'm also using manual now, until last week I always used automatic in GT4.

^huh? I've used a manual from the start, it's massively easy if you want to keep the car on or off the revs or in a certain gear.

I always hated the auto box, it shifts too early IMO and doesnt downshift quick enough
I only have trouble with the F1 car, since sometimes you have to downshift from 7th to 2nd/1st in a second, which means 6 clicks/second :p

there is an "override" to the auto box IIRC, I think if you press and hold R1 while accelerating it will not shift up until you let go

^huh? I've used a manual from the start, it's massively easy if you want to keep the car on or off the revs or in a certain gear.

I always hated the auto box, it shifts too early IMO and doesnt downshift quick enough
I only have trouble with the F1 car, since sometimes you have to downshift from 7th to 2nd/1st in a second, which means 6 clicks/second :p

there is an "override" to the auto box IIRC, I think if you press and hold R1 while accelerating it will not shift up until you let go

Back when first got GT4 in the summer I had to learn driving with the pad and at that time that was tricky enough without needing to do the gears as well. The races tend to be so easy I haven't seen it necessary to swap to manual until now. Also, I occasionally drive without sounds as I have only one stereo set and that's either hooked to computer (for music) or to ps2 and thus I can only get sound from one or the other. And driving a manual without sounds is rather tricky.

I propably would still be going with automatic had I not changed to manual last week for the slipstream battles and forgotten it.

EDIT: Changed the car setup a bit, ironically using less money but makes it go faster. New time is 1:38.794

I got a 1.38.721!! :D

I'll enjoy being in the lead for the short time it lasts, and I won't reveal any of my secrets until the bitter end.

I gave the manual a try but I was drunk at the time and forgot to either brake, or change gears, or both. Seems faster, though, almost like it handles better. :blink:

Oooohhhh very interesting. That spices things up nicely however the new benchmark is 1:38.373.

I tried the R32 but its not fast enough.

1:38.008 :p

Still with the 300ZX but swapped a bit of power for a wing. My driving was atrocious, though, with a reasonably tidy lap I could cut half a second off that easily.

oh hay guise wots goin on in dis thred

So, as this genuinely intrigued me, and I don't really see any Forza or GRID threads that have this much activity... I went out and bought the game. $10. And it made me remember just how frighteningly realistic the introduction looked, first of all.

I'm trying to get the rules straight, so pardon the <noob> tag. Running any second-hand RWD car from the 80's with 15000Cr of mods on the best road tires around Trial Mountain?

No proof required?

1:38.008 :p

Still with the 300ZX but swapped a bit of power for a wing. My driving was atrocious, though, with a reasonably tidy lap I could cut half a second off that easily.

I hate you.....oooohhhhh yes I do!!!!

Wing not a bad idea though, would help stop those slllliiiiiiddddeeessssss

Nope. Not that there would really be a way to prove your validity anyway, so we just go with mutual trust.

yeah trust is the way to go

BTw my best lap is a 1.25.001 in a 1.0 Fiat Uno :p