Gran Turismo 5

Heh, my B-Spec is J.Alba. I left her racing and went out. 1st!

I think the bigger question is why do you NEED 19 Nascar cars? :p
I don't want them, when I get home from school the ones I can trade are being inventoried and I plan on giving them away for free. By inventoried I mean flip-flopping them between my accounts to get them in ticket form so they aren't held by the one a day rule.
And it isn't cheating its exploiting, there is a difference.
The difference between why I do it is I either want a cool car and can't waste money that I'm saving for a Formula GT or I need a slew of cars to sell for a lot while other people are doing it to get the 330 P4, GT40, XK13 and then scamming the hell out of people by trading the cars, which are supposed to be rare, for a bunch of cars that they can sell to get a a ton of money. I did it to beat Like the Wind and All Stars while other people are doing it to trick a bunch of fools.

Last edited:
So you got 17 NASCAR cars because it was your 17th birthday? :lol:

Did anyone else get birthday presents? (Mine is Feb. 21st...:()

I won it pretty easily, but it was very exhausting, especially the Nurburgring 24h circuit in the rain. Trying to drive a car with almost 1000hp that weighs under 900kg and has worn-out tires around the hardest track in the world in the rain isn't what I would call "relaxing" (I was still 1:10 ahead of 2nd place by the end of 3rd lap :D).

See my post above. The high speed stuff was rather interesting in that monster wasn't it :lol:

I don't think I managed a single lap without at least one spin and big moments were aplenty...

BTW, I won the Danny Hamlin FedEx Toyota Camry. Which one did you guys win?

I have AJ Almendinger #43 Ford Fusion.

Also, how many people on here, including Topgearfanatic, are doing the birthday exploit? I sure as hell am not; I'm trying to do GT mode in the most honest and realistic way without cheating. It's actually pretty pathetic, don't you think? If I need money or xp to get to a new level, I'll just keep doing a challenge that pays well with xp and credits until I reach my goal; this "exploit" is actually pretty lame...:glare:

Last edited:
Also, how many people on here, including Topgearfanatic, are doing the birthday exploit? I sure as hell am not; I'm trying to do GT mode in the most honest and realistic way without cheating. It's actually pretty pathetic, don't you think? If I need money or xp to get to a new level, I'll just keep doing a challenge that pays well with xp and credits until I reach my goal; this "exploit" is actually pretty lame...:glare:
Ironically, I wouldn't have the patience for it. There's no one car I just have to have anyway, I like driving the regular street cars mostly, or seeing how far I can tune them.

Well it's pretty lame repeating the same event over and over, no? Especially when it's usually in a car that you could drive to victory with your eyes closed. Haven't played for a couple of days now because I'm stuck at a point where i need over a million credits to get a sports prototype to move on and I don't really give a shit about doing events I've already done. This shit never happened in previous Gran Turismos. Never wasted a minute of my life in b-spec in GT4 and I can't be bothered to do that now to get the Furai.

The only reason I did the exploit is because I was stuck in the same corner, needing so much money to get a car I only needed once but not being able to afford it. That corner is frustrating because it forces you into B-spec where the idiot can;t get past the ai because he is just following their line and drifting needlessly around. I did it only to get out of that corner and move on with the game, nothing more.

The Ford GT LM Spec II managed the American Series and even caught and passed the 2J at Laguna (suck it, 2J! see what I did there?). All it needed was a little more camber front & rear. It's become my go-to grind car for American Indy

All I've got left is the GT All Stars Championship, the Nascar Series (meh!), and the Formula GT. I still need to go back and gold the historic at Monaco - can't seem to manage better than silver there no matter what I try.

With the historic races, it's pretty much pure luck of getting your launch better than anyone else and that is with one of the more powerful historics.

Well it's pretty lame repeating the same event over and over, no? Especially when it's usually in a car that you could drive to victory with your eyes closed. Haven't played for a couple of days now because I'm stuck at a point where i need over a million credits to get a sports prototype to move on and I don't really give a shit about doing events I've already done. This shit never happened in previous Gran Turismos. Never wasted a minute of my life in b-spec in GT4 and I can't be bothered to do that now to get the Furai.

Hey, you can play the game however you want. Personally, I looked at the prize cars that you get from B-spec and I would much rather win a car with some effort rather than doing challenges until I have enough money to afford a certain car. This game was designed for people to play A-spec and B-spec simultaneously, because some of the cars you win in B-spec can help you immensely in A-spec challenges. The Furai was a HUGE help for me and it was very easy to get. I am being VERY careful with my money to see just how efficiently I can go through the game. Others, on the other hand, just don't have the patience and will simply spend all their money on a car, then complain that they don't have enough to buy a different car that's required to progress through the game.

The only reason I did the exploit is because I was stuck in the same corner, needing so much money to get a car I only needed once but not being able to afford it. That corner is frustrating because it forces you into B-spec where the idiot can;t get past the ai because he is just following their line and drifting needlessly around. I did it only to get out of that corner and move on with the game, nothing more.

Which corner are you stuck in? Explain your problem and people here will help you. I was very frustrated with B-spec when I started it, but I learned how to properly give commands so the driver went through his races without mistakes. If you simply spam the "pace up" button, his meter will stay red (hot?) and he is prone to make mistakes. The best position to be on the hot-cool meter is around the middle, a little on the hot side. As with most things that are frustrating, the more you work on it, the less frustrating it will be. ;)

Last edited:
This is probably a stupid question, but is there a way to fast forward B Spec like you could in GT4?

Also, do all B Spec drivers start out mentally retarded or is it just mine? Im trying to get him to win the FR beginner challenge in a hugely modified Ford Mustang that I demolished the competition in, and he can't get higher than 9th place :censored:

Nope, no fast forwarding in B-Spec.

As for the driver, he probably needs some more experience. Otherwise, keep his "mood bar" in check during the race. Let him go into the red to drive fast and agressively, but don't let it sit at the limit all the time, because he'll get nervous and make mistakes. It also helps to tell him to slow (and cool) down to the middle of the bar for a lap during the race, it'll help him relax and thus be better at the next attack. Also, I noticed that some guys, some tracks and some cars just don't fit together. I have 3 B-Spec drivers, and the by far most experienced one loses races one of the other guys wins with ease. You may wanna try a different car.

EDIT: and most importantly: check the tires! There are tire restrictions for each race event, and you want to make sure you use the best possible tires (mostly sport hard for the lower races). If you don't own these tires for the car you're using, the system will automatically choose the next lower class tires you possess, which usually is some comfort crap. Good tires however help your B-Spec driver greatly.

Last edited:
I didn't start B-spec until I was well into A-spec, so I already had plenty of good cars that the B-spec driver could actually win races in, meaning his level improved quite quickly. This is why he (eventually) won the Sunday Cup in a Maserati Gran Turismo, and the compact car challenge in a Gallardo.

I got my B-Spec driver to succeed in the Sunday with a highly modified 512BB and the FF challenge with a 400BHP Renault Sport Megane :-d
First time win for both... But then I got bored with the mode... It's a bit like driving an automatic car with manual controls, it's mostly uninvolving and you end up looking at the game doing all the work for you. Maybe it changes when you level up and have more interesting races, but I feel like I'm wasting time looking at the screen for 5 laps while my guy is driving in the first place with no-one to be found for about half a lap.

Maybe it's just me though :)

In other news, I finally got my I-A license in bronze and I finished the Beginner and Amateur A-Spec race modes in gold :-d
Nearly level 20 and starting to have a great collection of cars :)

Last edited:
Hey, you can play the game however you want. Personally, I looked at the prize cars that you get from B-spec and I would much rather win a car with some effort rather than doing challenges until I have enough money to afford a certain car. This game was designed for people to play A-spec and B-spec simultaneously, because some of the cars you win in B-spec can help you immensely in A-spec challenges. The Furai was a HUGE help for me and it was very easy to get. I am being VERY careful with my money to see just how efficiently I can go through the game. Others, on the other hand, just don't have the patience and will simply spend all their money on a car, then complain that they don't have enough to buy a different car that's required to progress through the game.

That's all good and well, but what if you bought GT5 for driving(which, since it is a driving simulator, most people are bound to do) and couldn't care less about B-spec?

I don't know whether the situation where you effectively need to reach certain point in B-spec to get the cars you need for moving on in A-spec is by design or lack of it, but either way I think it is ridiculous. The core feature in GT5 is driving, and when the game encourages you to stop driving and watch the AI drive your cars poorly instead there is something wrong with the game design.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the B-spec mode, it's quite interesting when you get into it (although the races are far too long) and if PD added some depth to it (pre-planned race strategy, specific training methods for your drivers, more detailed instructions, maybe even some kind of coaching thing where you could actually teach something to your drivers) they could have a seriously cool feature in their hands.

As for grinding... I am soon reaching the point in the career mode where I have gold from all races except for the enduros, all the driving missions and all licenses. The only way ahead from that is grinding through the 2+ hour enduro races, grinding through three levels to access the red bull x1 challenge or grinding races to make progress in b-spec. I'm actually contemplating another option, which would be to clear my career progress and start from scratch, just to keep things more interesting...

EDIT: and most importantly: check the tires! There are tire restrictions for each race event, and you want to make sure you use the best possible tires (mostly sport hard for the lower races). If you don't own these tires for the car you're using, the system will automatically choose the next lower class tires you possess, which usually is some comfort crap. Good tires however help your B-Spec driver greatly.

Thanks for the tip.

Also, how do you guys edit the name of the pilot? I can only choose the name, not give him the name I want.